Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pocophone F1 - The new flagship killer?

Comments

t0mm13b wrote: »
    From previous postings about eglobal, they are on very shaky grounds.

Go with Honorbuy, ordered mine in four days.

It's all down to wherether phone is actually in stock and if customs delay that shipment. Luck of the draw. Can be one week to two weeks or a bit of a mess. Up to you if you want to get the cheapest price or pay more on another site. Just be aware of the trade-off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭sioda

Day one impression very impressed tbh. Messing with it all day full install of all apps backups restored and used all day still 30 percent battery left.
    Cons only one colour on the led. And the bright miui skin is awful why they don't have a dark skin is beyond me. Can't seem to get the battery percentage on the notch yes I know it's on the pull down but still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

Can I ask if there's any issue with Netflix HD licensing on the Pocophone? I recall hearing or reading somewhere that Netflix is only viewable on SD rather than HD on the phone due to Xiaomi not paying the HD licence.

Can I ask if there's any issue with Netflix HD licensing on the Pocophone? I recall hearing or reading somewhere that Netflix is only viewable on SD rather than HD on the phone due to Xiaomi not paying the HD licence.

It doesn't have the hardware encoder needed. Poco have said they might try a software patc. Now can me stupid but watched a few mins last night b don't really notice it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

Every 845 snapdragon cpu capable of Widevine L1
    Xiaomi just never bothered to pass certification which is FREE .
    Due to security reasons no fix is possible OTA update AFAIK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Sounds about right. Nether Netflix nor Amazon HD will be supported. And I don't believe it's something that can be added later on via software?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭honda boi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

god's toy wrote: »
    Thargor wrote: »
    I actually love MIUI now, with NOVA launcher on top, so many nice little features that I keep noticing, like yesterday I saw on an active call next to the loudspeaker button you have the option to record the phone call, countless little touches like that. Thats on Mi Max 3 not POCO btw. Doesnt seem to be the drag on the battery that people claimed either once you debloat, my battery level basically does not drop in standby, if I dont use the phone for a few hours the battery will be the same as when I left it down, Whatsapp is more of a drain than Android System/MIUI, unlike past phones.

Yep you would want to watch that tho as by default MIUI is very aggressive at killing any apps in the background that didn't come with the phone. EG, was killing the Pebble watch, Google Music and Google's Find My Phone' apps every 30 mins if I put the phone down...You have to change a few settings dotted around the UI to stop this carry-on.

It's like White-listing apps you want it to leave alone... but still gives amazing battery life as a trade-off. Also it views some default app changes as a 'Security threat' like changing the text messaging app from its own to Google's Messages. It also keeps trying to push its own browser, video playback apps and sometimes it's own app store over my choice even after I set it up in the settings.

I'm well use to MIUI as I've had Xiaomi phones before but those who are new to it may find its passive aggressive behavior off putting.
    I'm with mi for years but am looking forward ( for months when bobs allow me) to getting a pure android like the 6.1 plus, personally find mi invasive, great phones, battery life etc,but yes always pushing their stuff in your face,like an annoying salesman at your door

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

It's really not that big of a deal. 540p looks fine on a screen that small.

• Advertisement

honda boi wrote: »

Have they shipped it yet ?
    Mi Global Store seller ?
    It’s say 30 days processing time for this phone at the moment ( it’s not in stock ,obviously )

• Registered Users Posts: 8 P_Man

Question for anybody who's bought this phone for HonorBuy. Does it only come with the 2 pin plug? Is there any way to get it shipped with a 3 pin plugged instead. I've emailed HonorBuy support but haven't received a reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Anyone use the camera much, is it any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭t0mm13b

P_Man wrote: »
    Question for anybody who's bought this phone for HonorBuy. Does it only come with the 2 pin plug? Is there any way to get it shipped with a 3 pin plugged instead. I've emailed HonorBuy support but haven't received a reply.

It does come with a two pin plug. Get a three pin adapter, and you should be grand.

Even better, if you already have an existing anker quick charge plug, plug in the cable and away you go.

Buy an adapter if you don't. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭t0mm13b

Anyone use the camera much, is it any good?

Camera is not bad at all, definitely better than my last phone - Moto G4. :D

alec76 wrote: »
    Have they shipped it yet ?
    Mi Global Store seller ?
    It’s say 30 days processing time for this phone at the moment ( it’s not in stock ,obviously )

They said they shipped it on Wednesday but no update in the tracking.
    Was hoping to have it by the end of the week.

• Advertisement

They said they shipped it on Wednesday but no update in the tracking.
    Was hoping to have it by the end of the week.

They've got same route as Eglobal , takes 7-10 days to deliver ( after being dispatched, obviously)
    You'll get it next Wednesday- Friday IMO

They've got same route as Eglobal , takes 7-10 days to deliver ( after being dispatched, obviously)
    You'll get it next Wednesday- Friday IMO

Ah I see.
    They sent me the UK dhl tracking number last Wednesday .
    They said they,d apparently send me the hong Kong dhl tracking number on Friday but still nothing.
    Ordered on Saturday the 6th.
    Sent them a message but nothing back from them.
    Have you used mi global store before ye?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Miui 9.6.25.0 pushed to me this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 marti9t9

Miui 9.6.25.0 pushed to me this morning.

Face unlock?

marti9t9 wrote: »
    Face unlock?

Added for Belgium this time

• Advertisement

Added for Belgium this time

We'll get it yet!

We'll get it yet!

Yep no doubt it will come.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 btj79

We'll get it yet!

Yep no doubt it will come.
    Why not just change the region to somewhere that already has it...? This is working fine for me.

btj79 wrote: »
    Why not just change the region to somewhere that already has it...? This is working fine for me.

I have too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 btj79

Guys I couldn't recommend honorbuy any higher for buying this phone. I ordered the blue 128gb version at 9 am last Wednesday and received the device in my hand the following day at 11 am. They shipped to me by DHL and I also added the flip case, glass screen protector (it was pure trash and I replaced with a better one from eBay) and a UK to EU plug adapter €340. Like I said earlier my only issue was the screen protector, it had the black banding behind the glass and this made it not have full contact in the center of the screen. Threw it in the bin and applied a better one I bought from eBay.

I have too.

Does doing that not mess with other $##t on the phone? I'd have tried it myself only the phone belongs to the missus.

Does doing that not mess with other $##t on the phone? I'd have tried it myself only the phone belongs to the missus.

On some apps maybe, like the built video player app, when the video I watched was over it was suggesting more videos from the region the phone was set too... In the end I just disabled it and downloaded MX player and set that as default and use YouTube mostly for online watching. Use Firefox for browsing and so far seeing nothing odd has shown up.

In the last few days I've worked out that most of the background stuff it was doing (like re-changing of defaults settings and apps on me) can be disabled and you can stop the phone re-activating it's own defaults. First run a security scan and when it lists all the 'problems it found' drill down and find the apps it wants to re-change to defaults, then just long press on each one in turn and select 'ignore' it then wont flag them again (probably until it gets its next OS update)

On some apps maybe, like the built video player app, when the video I watched was over it was suggesting more videos from the region the phone was set too... In the end I just disabled it and downloaded MX player and set that as default and use YouTube mostly for online watching. Use Firefox for browsing and so far seeing nothing odd has shown up.

In the last few days I've worked out that most of the background stuff it was doing (like re-changing of defaults settings and apps on me) can be disabled and you can stop the phone re-activating it's own defaults. First run a security scan and when it lists all the 'problems it found' drill down and find the apps it wants to re-change to defaults, then just long press on each one in turn and select 'ignore' it then wont flag them again (probably until it gets its next OS update)

Thanks for that but it sounds like a bit too much work for someone who probably won't appreciate it as much as I would. I'm sure the update will land some day. Cheers.

Has anyone ordered of mi Global Store on AliExpress?
    Ordered my pocophone on the 06/10/18.
    DHL got shipping information the 10/10/18.
    Got a ups tracking number the 15/10/18.
    Ups delivered to destination (apparently to DHL) 18/10/18. At 9am.
    DHL still haven't received it apparently .
    This normal?

They have to smuggle it through customs first, send to Ireland after. Don't you worry, you are well protected by aliexpress policy. I've bought few phones ( not from Mi Global ), but they all the same.
    Some of those phones were lost in transit , some seized by customs, I've got full refund through the aliexpress anyway . Wait another week ,and if phone not there, open Aliexpress dispute, don't write to seller, it is waste of time.

• Advertisement

They have to smuggle it through customs first, send to Ireland after. Don't you worry, you are well protected by aliexpress policy. I've bought few phones ( not from Mi Global ), but they all the same.
    Some of those phones were lost in transit , some seized by customs, I've got full refund through the aliexpress anyway . Wait another week ,and if phone not there, open Aliexpress dispute, don't write to seller, it is waste of time.

Thanks Alec.
    Tracking finally updated.
    Phone arrived in Dublin at 9am this morning and says it's at the sorting facility so no customs issues I hope, so should have it on Monday hopefully :D.

Thanks Alec.
    Tracking finally updated.
    Phone arrived in Dublin at 9am this morning and says it's at the sorting facility so no customs issues I hope, so should have it on Monday hopefully :D.

Have you got it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭dzilla

Is it listed as compatible on any sites like https://willmyphonework.net I used this when I got my redmi note 3 but pocophone is not listed

Have you got it ?

Yep got yesterday evening
    Using it for a bit today.
    Waay faster then my old phone,big time!!!
    No notification bar is abit of a bummer .
    And need to get used to the miui system.
    Also the touch on the screen feels abit weird to me and find it typing letters I wouldn't touch. Could be in my head tho.
    Class phone tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭corkie

dzilla wrote: »
    Is it listed as compatible on any sites like https://willmyphonework.net I used this when I got my redmi note 3 but pocophone is not listed

It is an xiaomi sub brand, that sites like that are not updated to include it yet!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/wiki/pocophonef1

BY checking the specs of the phone, you can see it has the support bands for Ireland Networks.
    Network Bands
    FDD-LTE B1/B3/B5/B7/B8/B20
    TD-LTE B38/B40/B41
    WCDMA B1/B2/B5/B8
    GSM B2/B3/B5/B8

Any tempered glass recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 vsh

sioda wrote: »
    Any tempered glass recommendations?

I've just ordered the screen protector from Rhinoshield for my still to be delivered Poco. Their products are generally superb, very high quality. A little pricy, €32 or so. Rhinoshield.io

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭dzilla

corkie wrote: »
    It is an xiaomi sub brand, that sites like that are not updated to include it yet!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/wiki/pocophonef1

BY checking the specs of the phone, you can see it has the support bands for Ireland Networks.

Thank you for confirming for me

Does your notification light blink when a message or notification comes through?
    Can't get it working. Doesn't work with WhatsApp.
    All settings have been ticked and should work
    Most messages won't show up on the lock screen either.

• Advertisement

Works perfectly with all mine with the light have u enabled the wake lock screen for messages and delete any custom notifications in WhatsApp

sioda wrote: »
    Works perfectly with all mine with the light have u enabled the wake lock screen for messages and delete any custom notifications in WhatsApp

Yep wake lockscreen enabled.
    How would i delete custom notifications?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭roper1664

How I've found the phone so far (and compared to MOTO G4 plus in some points):

-Quick/responsive and looks really good
    -Notifications not as good as G4 Plus. They pop up on screen when a Whatsapp message arrives for a short while, then it reduces to a simple green dot beside the app icon. The led at the bottom of the screen starts slowly flashing too.
    -Not possible to get Google Map "Driving" Widgets, as far as I know, which I used to use a lot with the Moto G.
    -Bluetooth won't stream music to another device e.g. car stereo. Apparently, this is a result of the miui 9 update. It can be resolved by Enabling "Developer options" in additional settings, and selecting SBC Bluetooth Audio Codec in place of the default AAC. This has to be done at least every time you turn on Bluetooth, which is frustrating. A more permanent way to get around this is to install MIUI 10 beta, but I'm concerned of potentially introducing other bugs!
    The above does not need to be done for phone calls, i.e., they work with AAC.
    -The audio volume when streaming music over bluetooth is low, i.e., you need the stereo a fair bit louder that with Radio, CD etc.
    -The audio volume when playing music through AUX to the car stereo is extremely low i.e., have to turn the stereo volume up really loud!
    -No "Chop twice" for flashlight or "twist" for camera, like on the Moto G.

If anyone has solutions/feedback on the above, that would be great!

Overall, very impressive phone but not as easy-to-use or intuitive as the Moto G, which has the "cleaner" Android OS.

Yep wake lockscreen enabled.
    How would i delete custom notifications?
    In the chat list click the picture then the I any custom notifications will be there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

roper1664 wrote: »
    -Bluetooth won't stream music to another device e.g. car stereo. Apparently, this is a result of the miui 9 update. It can be resolved by Enabling "Developer options" in additional settings, and selecting SBC Bluetooth Audio Codec in place of the default AAC. This has to be done at least every time you turn on Bluetooth, which is frustrating. A more permanent way to get around this is to install MIUI 10 beta, but I'm concerned of potentially introducing other bugs!
    The above does not need to be done for phone calls, i.e., they work with AAC.
    -

Do you mean an additional Bluetooth device or is it simply from phone to Bluetooth device? I'm about to pull the trigger on this but not being able to stream Spotify in the car is a deal-breaker for me

Just paired mine to my Google home works fine
    Edit that stays connected for one song then disconnects

• Advertisement

Connected my phone to my car's Bluetooth(Bluetooth device that plugs into the cigarette lighter) and streamed music fine from Deezer.

Notifications always were awful with MiUI ,nothing changed there for years. It was possible to get them right in Developer Beta's , not in Global ROM stable though.
    Chinese just not using western messengers ( WatsApp, Viber etc), they don't care if notifications working right there.

Notifications always were awful with MiUI ,nothing changed there for years. It was possible to get them right in Developer Beta's , not in Global ROM stable though.
    Chinese just not using western messengers ( WatsApp, Viber etc), they don't care if notifications working right there.

Seem to have gotten the WhatsApp and messaging app to show a notification led.
    A case I ordered from China arrived this morning.
    https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bgiNqlj6
    I must say it feels fairly good.
    Looks like it could survive a drop!
    Not bad for €2

Hmm. Well the headphone jack on mine is a lot louder then my OnePlus 5t .. if anyone thinks they have low volume, have they looked in the equaliser and headphone settings? Also mine streams over Bluetooth just fine at acceptable volumes. With regards to notifications, as I said before in the previous post, the phone is extremely aggressive about turning off background apps and so if you want an app to last longer than half an hour in the background then you must go into the settings change the battery options (in a few different places) and your good to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭roper1664

statto25 wrote: »
    Do you mean an additional Bluetooth device or is it simply from phone to Bluetooth device? I'm about to pull the trigger on this but not being able to stream Spotify in the car is a deal-breaker for me

just a single device. Have to go through a rigmarole every time I get in to the car to get my music playing from Deezer on my phone through the car stereo via bluetooth!.

• Advertisement
Advertisement