Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pocophone F1 - The new flagship killer?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

What are people using to restore their data to new android phone?
    I was going to check out titanum backup but it needs root.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭sioda

Combination of Google back up and sms back up and restore.
    Clouded my pics to one drive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Just seen that you can buy the Poco from Amazon UK now at a much less ripoff than before. Works out at 339 euro (free prime two day delivery)

if anyone wants the phone and doesn't mind paying that little bit extra but guaranteed no import duty and no hassles (not forgetting how great Amazon return warranties are) this could be a good option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

god's toy wrote: »
    Just seen that you can buy the Poco from Amazon UK now at a much less ripoff than before. Works out at 339 euro (free prime two day delivery)

if anyone wants the phone and doesn't mind paying that little bit extra but guaranteed no import duty and no hassles (not forgetting how great Amazon return warranties are) this could be a good option.

Thats the 64GB 6GB is it?

statto25 wrote: »
    Thats the 64GB 6GB is it?
    Yep. As I said. It's not the cheapest but at least its from the UK/ Amazon uk so that could be worth paying extra. I know if I didn't already have it I would jump now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 btj79

roper1664 wrote: »
    statto25 wrote: »
    Do you mean an additional Bluetooth device or is it simply from phone to Bluetooth device? I'm about to pull the trigger on this but not being able to stream Spotify in the car is a deal-breaker for me

just a single device.  Have to go through a rigmarole every time I get in to the car to get my music playing from Deezer on my phone through the car stereo via bluetooth!.

Could you explain your rigmarole? I can connect my phone to my headphones, smartwatch and car radio with no trouble at all but I can only pair my device to my soundbar but it simple refuses to connect. I've tried a lot of things but nothing will get it to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

btj79 wrote: »
    Could you explain your rigmarole? I can connect my phone to my headphones, smartwatch and car radio with no trouble at all but I can only pair my device to my soundbar but it simple refuses to connect. I've tried a lot of things but nothing will get it to work.

Have you paired and connected the sound bar with another phone no problem? If not try to, that would help identify whether the problem is your new Poco or the sound bar itself.

If the latter check the soundbar instruction manual to see if there is a quirk in the connecting process such as entering a PIN although IIRC that's only ever part of the initial pairing rather than the connecting.

If that doesn't work and you're not experiencing connection problems between the Poco and any other device it might be worth trying to update the firmware on the sound bar if that's possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Yep. As I said. It's not the cheapest but at least its from the UK/ Amazon uk so that could be worth paying extra. I know if I didn't already have it I would jump now.
    Xiaomi are about to officially launch in the UK and if they follow the trend of other EU markets then they should have a range of products available through Amazon, hopefully the F1 will be amongst them.

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2018/10/xiaomi-uk-launch/

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Do-more wrote: »
    Xiaomi are about to officially launch in the UK and if they follow the trend of other EU markets then they should have a range of products available through Amazon, hopefully the F1 will be amongst them.

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2018/10/xiaomi-uk-launch/

In the UK and Ireland they are going in with Three AFAIK but it will be nice to see a broader range of devices in store. Knowing Three pricing may be a bit ott tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭roper1664

Enable developer options: Go to Settings/About Phone. Then tap the Miui version a number of times (e.g.Version 9.6 in my case) till you get a confirmation that you are now a developer. You shouldn't have to do this again unless you turn the phone off.

Next, go to settings/addition settings/developer options. Change Bluetooth audio codec to SBC. This has to be done each time you want to send music to the receiving device.

The above I have to do, but it may not be the same issue you are having. My Pioneer Head Unit is the only thing I've paired to my Poco.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭honda boi

Looks like a stable miui 10 is being rolled next week
    https://www.xda-developers.com/miui-10-global-stable-next-week-xiaomi-poco-f1/

From the last poco launcher update, I think fixed the dark band bug... hasn't come back in a few days for me.

EDIT:. Nope it's still there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

What's the safe way to install these updates if you have twrp installed and rooted the phone?

Thanks W.

Have you paired and connected the sound bar with another phone no problem?  If not try to, that would help identify whether the problem is your new Poco or the sound bar itself.

If the latter check the soundbar instruction manual to see if there is a quirk in the connecting process such as entering a PIN although IIRC that's only ever part of the initial pairing rather than the connecting.

If that doesn't work and you're not experiencing connection problems between the Poco and any other device it might be worth trying to update the firmware on the sound bar if that's possible.
    Yeah the soundbar works perfectly with my OnePlus One and iPhone, the Poco will pair but then cannot connect. I have also tried changing the bluetooth audio codec to SBC but it changes back to AAC straight away when it is paired. Its really not a big deal for me as I rarely use the phone with the soundbar but it might be an issue for others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,203 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I haven't had any issues with mine and bluetooth audio devices. It has been working fine in my car and my two bluetooth headphones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭corkie

Xiaomi promises Android Q update for its POCO F1 smartphone
    The phone runs Android Oreo out of the box and is all set to receive the Android Pie update soon. Ahead of the Android Pie rollout, Jay Mani, Head of Product for Pocophone (POCO), has confirmed that the phone will also receive the next major Android update — Android Q.

At least they are doing the same as there Mi range of phones with at least 2 Major updates. Unlike the redmi series that only get one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭corkie

[XDA][LEAK] Download the first MIUI 10 Android Pie beta for the POCO F1
    The leaked Android Pie-based MIUI 10 beta build for the POCO F1 brings the Android version up to Android 9 and the MIUI version to MIUI 10 8.10.30. It comes with the October security patch. It can be downloaded from this link. As this is a recovery ROM, it can be flashed via the MIUI Updater app. Do note that users moving from MIUI 9 Global Stable will lose their data moving to MIUI 10, so they are advised to make a backup first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

How are people getting on with the battery?

naughtb4 wrote: »
    How are people getting on with the battery?

2 days if I didn't charge. Have got some huge screen in times 7 hours with 30% left.

Have noticed my data usage is quite high though

• Advertisement

sioda wrote: »
    2 days if I didn't charge. Have got some huge screen in times 7 hours with 30% left.

Same, battery is fantastic cos of the amount of background killing it does... Could go two days between charges if I really wanted. Lost 3% between 12-6 am (over night not connected to wifi)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

Got this yesterday, 6GB. Christ it's fast. One bug is my S8 Google backup doesn't seem to be syncing everything to the POCO. I had to install all my apps from scratch and none of my previous Wifi settings copied over either .

Anybody get the miui 10 update yet?
    Apparently it's began being rolled out

No sign yet.
    Downloading from here now
    http://bigota.d.miui.com/V10.0.4.0.OEJMIFH/miui_POCOF1Global_V10.0.4.0.OEJMIFH_ef67c4052e_8.1.zip

"As this is a recovery ROM, it can be flashed via the MIUI Updater app. Users won’t lose their data if they’re going from the MIUI 9 Global Stable to MIUI 10 Global Stable upgrade path."

Link and info from here
    https://www.xda-developers.com/download-miui-10-global-stable-xiaomi-poco-f1/

Just manually updated there.

attachment.php?attachmentid=465299&d=1541275619

Yup done the same working perfect

• Advertisement

Do I need to unlock the bootloader or anything?
    Any risks downloading it and doing it that way?
    Or is it just a matter of downloading it and going to the updater app and selecting "Select update package"?

Or is it just a matter of downloading it and going to the updater app and selecting "Select update package"?

honda boi wrote: »

No need, just do like you said. Make sure you've enough battery or are plugged in.

I performed the update manually and it has fixed the few issues I was experiencing. The main one, which I mentioned earlier in this thread relating to Bluetooth. If anyone is currently having any issues they should update and try again. FYI you do not loose any user data by the update but backing up and personal files is always recommended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Hey,

My wife is looking for a new phone with a budget of €3-400. Is the F1 still the best bang for your buck Android at this price range? She's coming from an iPhone 6 so anything will be a major upgrade tbh :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,005 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Only on my phone now, so awkward to check, but where is the best place to buy this?

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭t0mm13b

Interesting heads up about Pocophone F1 and not getting OTA update for MIUI 10 Stable, this post on the XDA forum will provide the answer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Invincible

2smiggy wrote: »
    Only on my phone now, so awkward to check, but where is the best place to buy this?

On offer from Banggood at moment for €259 approximately.

2smiggy wrote: »
    I'd recommend honorbuy and I think most people on this thread would. I personally received mine in 24 hours of ordering. Some of the other sites can take weeks for the device to arrive but it may would out a bit cheaper if you are on a tight budget.

I ordered from eglobal and it took an age go with honor buy

Was about to update manually tonight but just got the update for miui 10 through updater app.
    Need to fiddle around and see if it's any good

Just got the update too. God this phone needs a dark mode ... have to put my bits and pieces back to how it was before the update but we're good to go. Also nice to feel the screen is more responsive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I'd recommend honorbuy and I think most people on this thread would. I personally received mine in 24 hours of ordering. Some of the other sites can take weeks for the device to arrive but it may would out a bit cheaper if you are on a tight budget.

€323.19 including delivery for the 64GB on Honorbuy at the moment. There's a few codes giving €5 off that (try PPLWARE). Can't find any better ones that work

MOH wrote: »

€323.19 including delivery for the 64GB on Honorbuy at the moment. There's a few codes giving €5 off that (try PPLWARE). Can't find any better ones that work

€259.29 on Banggood
    Is there any discernable difference?
    https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/xiaomi-pocophone-f1-global-version-618-inch-6gb-64gb-snapdragon-845-octa-core-4g-smartphone-black-22605-banggood-3097814

Just got the update too. God this phone needs a dark mode ... have to put my bits and pieces back to how it was before the update but we're good to go. Also nice to feel the screen is more responsive!
    Switch location to Hong Kong and download reloaded v10 theme it's excellent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭t0mm13b

Received the MIUI 10 update just now, downloading as I type this, woohoo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Invincible wrote: »

From other people's experience, I believe the Honorbuy one ships from within the EU and quite quickly. You'll probably be waiting weeks for Banggood, and might get hit for customs.

Might be worth holding off until tomorrow, think Xiaomi are having a UK launch event, might open some other options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

Bought one of these, 128 GB version for around €280 here in India (where I am on holidays). They are even cheaper if bought directly from Mi store and comes with a bunch of goodies like free top-up etc.

First impressions are great - phone is fast. Photos are decent. Notch is well... horrible. There are other phones out here like Vivo V11 pro etc in similar price bracket with much nicer 'water droplet' notch (and even an on-screen fingerprint reader). Anyway, bought this for it's supposedly 'value flagship' proposition. So far the screen glitched once for me - the usual tap here and something else happens type issue. I am hoping it's not really a problem and never happens again (or it happens a lot in next couple of days before I head back).

Xiaomi has another model called 'Redmi Note 5 Pro' - that seems to be massively popular here. Everyone and their dog has that and it only costs 3/5th of the Poco F1.

Just in case... I dont know if everyone got the same charger but the one i got in the poco box was a 3pin with QC3 . I've seen some comment they only got a 2pin.
    I got the phone from EUglobal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Factor in VAT and a warranty it is not that bad. The Chinese sites have spoiled us

Yes but the EU RRP is €329 the Amazon UK price works out at over €360.

invest4deepvalue.com

Not disagreeing with you, but if that's the EU RRP, how are lads here been stung for €323 from honorbuy, Chinese site afaik.

Got mine from AliExpress for about €285-290 including shipping ,

• Advertisement

Not disagreeing with you, but if that's the EU RRP, how are lads here been stung for €323 from honorbuy, Chinese site afaik.
    honda boi wrote: »
    Got mine from AliExpress for about €285-290 including shipping ,

What seller did you use?

Advertisement