Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pocophone F1 - The new flagship killer?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

glog wrote: »
    Pocophone running Pie and latest Miui 10.
    App status' only appearing randomly (and quickly disappear) on home screen (left of notch).
    If i pull down top status menu then I can see them there.
    For example I have no way of telling if alarm is on from either the lock screen or the home screen.
    I have to either go into Clock App or pull down top menu.
    I seem to have all the correct settings in App Notification/Status Bar menus.

Anyone else seeing this? is it a bug or am i missing a setting?

TIA
    gLog.

I do think your setting are fine they just didn't include it in the OS notifications list for that app.

Have you tested with a different clock app? like Googles own one or Timley? be warned tho, the built-in one can turn on the phone if it is powered off where a 3rd party probably will not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭glog

god's toy wrote: »
    I do think your setting are fine they just didn't include it in the OS notifications list for that app.

Yah i will try a different app, but the thing is they do appear randomly and disappear after a few seconds to the left of the notch.
    Not just Clock but also Whats App, Messaging etc

god's toy wrote: »

Yah i will try a different app, but the thing is they do appear randomly and disappear after a few seconds to the left of the notch.
    Not just Clock but also Whats App, Messaging etc

Have you done a reset? Could be a bug too. Whatsapp ones are fine on my pull-downs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭glog

It's not on the pull downs - it's on the Status bar to the left of the notch I am talking about.

It's not on the pull downs - it's on the Status bar to the left of the notch I am talking about.
    I dont think they are suppose to stay there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Odd problem here, while browsing s particular site, it won't let me access certain pages ?too many redirects) in chrome or the stock browser, yet I can access same pages from my SG7 with zero issues.

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭chabsey

Anyone experiencing bluetooth issues since updating to the latestest version of Miui / Android?

My phone auto-updated recently (Android 9PKQ1, MIUI 10.1.3) and now bluetooth keeps getting turned off. I generally have BT on all the time and previously it wasn't a problem with the phone. Since the latest update it's like the phone is in some sort of battery saving mode all the time and tries to kill BT when it's not in use. I don't want this though and want BT on until I turn it off.

I've investigated various battery settings but to no avail.

Also, the Universal Remote Control app which has worked for years without problem on various phones (it works via WiFi) now also looses connection periodically for no obvious reason.

Very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 aikap

Recently dropped my poco from a significant height and got some hairline crack in the screen. Now can anyone suggest a really good tempered glass screen protector and a shockproof case that gives great protection to the screen? Not like the thin hard case nilkin one that I have. Links would be highly appreciated!! Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Anyone know how long Honorbuy take to refund you?

Placed an order for one this morning and everything went fine (i.e went through the payment verified, payment accepted stages) then got an email about an hour later from them saying:

Hello!
    Thank you for your order.
    According to the policy of our company, we cannot accept a payment from an unverified pay pal account.
    So we suggest you that:
    1. We cancel your order, and make a refund to you. After you registered a pay pal account and your account was verified by the pay pal, then please place a new order with the registered and verified pay pal account.
    2. You can make payment by western union.
    Sorry for the inconveniences.
    Your prompt reply will be appreciated.
    Thanks!

To which I replied asking for a refund but have heard nothing since, and I would like to re order and at least get the order in before Christmas.

Cheers.

• Advertisement

aikap wrote: »
    Recently dropped my poco from a significant height and got some hairline crack in the screen. Now can anyone suggest a really good tempered glass screen protector and a shockproof case that gives great protection to the screen? Not like the thin hard case nilkin one that I have. Links would be highly appreciated!! Thanks
    Yep, while I have a few different cases depending on where I am working (some 'folio' type with full-screen protection and some not) I always make sure all my cases work with the glass screen protector.

To that end, here is what I have on at the moment:

1: case. https://www.amazon.co.uk/HERCN-Pocophone-Kickstand-Protective-Smartphone/dp/B07HB4RPNV/ref=sr_1_184?ie=UTF8&qid=1545172479&sr=8-184&keywords=poco%2Bf1%2Bcase&th=1 Have used this type of case for years and not had any problems.

2: Glass protector. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07GTLRKQ7/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 loved this so much I left a review on amazon...

Both provide top-notch protection and won't break the bank.

One week of using this phone and I'm beginning to think my s7 might be made redundant.

Seriously, I have wasted thousands over the years using mainstream phones for private and business contracts.

My only gripe I've found, and I suspect it's a carrier issue as opposed to the phone, is from time to time it won't let me connect a call as it's saying network not available (or something) despite it showing a 4G symbol in the corner.

That is a Tesco SIM, I use Vodafone for the work phone, so might pop the VF SIM in and see how it goes.

IIRC, the same problem was happening with the Tesco SIM on my last phone too, which was an Aging note 3, but at the time I was putting it down to the phone being near banjaxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

One week of using this phone and I'm beginning to think my s7 might be made redundant.

Seriously, I have wasted thousands over the years using mainstream phones for private and business contracts.

My only gripe I've found, and I suspect it's a carrier issue as opposed to the phone, is from time to time it won't let me connect a call as it's saying network not available (or something) despite it showing a 4G symbol in the corner.

That is a Tesco SIM, I use Vodafone for the work phone, so might pop the VF SIM in and see how it goes.

IIRC, the same problem was happening with the Tesco SIM on my last phone too, which was an Aging note 3, but at the time I was putting it down to the phone being near banjaxed.

I agree, it's a brilliant phone and I have the same problem with the Tesco sim, haven't tried different sim yet. Is anyone else having the same problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭dinnybyrne

I agree, it's a brilliant phone and I have the same problem with the Tesco sim, haven't tried different sim yet. Is anyone else having the same problem?

Yep I'm having the same problem very frustrating. Need a solution at this stage but the only fix I can think of is a custom ROM?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

Chiming into say I have the same problem, also using Tesco sim. I have very low opinion about Tesco network in general, so I assumed it's related to that, but perhaps it's the phone.

It fixes itself if I switch the phone to airline mode and back, or if I go into settings, network and select tesco sim and use the 'reset APN something something option. Probably software, I bought this phone in India directly from Xiaomi, so I get all the Indian media notifications etc - although that's not a huge problem for me, I would consider flashing a better ROM.

Well I am about to catch a flight to the U.K. this morning for a few days, and will take this phone with me with the Vodafone sim in it and will report back.

I think the question we need to be asking now is if anyone not on Tesco mobile is having the same problem.

Entering airplane mode for a sec also fixes it for me too, but I'm more concerned about people trying to call me.

I've been thinking of ditching the Tesco sim only plan for ages now, and if I get zero problems with Vodafone, that is the route I will be taking.

• Advertisement

Well I am about to catch a flight to the U.K. this morning for a few days, and will take this phone with me with the Vodafone sim in it and will report back.

I think the question we need to be asking now is if anyone not on Tesco mobile is having the same problem.

Entering airplane mode for a sec also fixes it for me too, but I'm more concerned about people trying to call me.

I've been thinking of ditching the Tesco sim only plan for ages now, and if I get zero problems with Vodafone, that is the route I will be taking.

To answer the question, I'm on three and never had that problem. I did have to turn on Roaming tho as I have to do with every phone I get on the three network as three doesn't have its own 2g network as such (I believe it uses o2 now or what's left of it) and with this setting off can cause problems with said 2g signals reception. Note Tesco is on the three network (despite having 3 or 4 G on your phone, your calls are still on a 2g network)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Red Lightning

Only one of my speakers seems to be working. Anyone else have this issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Most rumours seem to be that it's just the Kevlar back being made available for the lower memory versions. Still pretty cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

So, Santa brought a new Poco F1 this morning. Seems snappy and very happy overall.

Only issue I have is YouTube seems to play in SD rather than HD. Am I missing a setting or an app upgrade or something? Is there a way to get YouTube in HD?

• Advertisement

So, Santa brought a new Poco F1 this morning. Seems snappy and very happy overall.

Only issue I have is YouTube seems to play in SD rather than HD. Am I missing a setting or an app upgrade or something? Is there a way to get YouTube in HD?

top right of the video, click the three dots, pic the resolution you want. It defaults of 480p to conserve data.

top right of the video, click the three dots, pic the resolution you want. It defaults of 480p to conserve data.

Thanks, I disabled the data saver and that seems to have done the trick.

Is there a similar fix for the SD quality of Netflix? I looked in settings but don't see anything.

Thanks, I disabled the data saver and that seems to have done the trick.

Is there a similar fix for the SD quality of Netflix? I looked in settings but don't see anything.

Netflix doesn't work in HD on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Sister opened it this morning and loves it anyway, she’s delighted :) the blue looks way nicer in person then the photos.

Netflix doesn't work in HD on the phone.

That's a bit 2010 for a 2018 "flagship" phone :-(

Do you know if there's a workaround via a special version of Netflix or a custom ROM?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Do you know if there's a workaround via a special version of Netflix or a custom ROM?

Netflix requires widevine l3, it's not supported on the handset and no workaround in place as yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

The F1 isn't a flagship phone. It's a budget/midrange phone with a lot of flagship features.

The F1 isn't a flagship phone. It's a budget/midrange phone with a lot of flagship features.

I wonder what licensing windvine l3 would have added to the cost of the phone.

Midrange or otherwise IMHO not enabling the market leading video content app to perform to the capability of the phones specs is a massive mistake unless the cost would have been prohibitive ie €20 or more (circa 5% of the cost of the phone) it's a mistake to settle for SD quality Netflix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

IPhone Xr doesn't even have a screen capable of HD and the price of it

But if my understanding is correct it's nothing to to with the screens capability is it? The Poco F1 is absolutely capable of HD as you'll see if using MX player, Plex or VLC to watch content. The issue is Xiaomi didn't pony up the license fee to enable it to play Netflix at HD rather than SD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Bit if my understanding is correct it's nothing to to with the screens capability is it? The Poco F1 is absolutely capable of HD as you'll see if using MX player, Plex or VLC to watch content. The issue is Xiaomi didn't pony up the license fee to enable it to play Netflix at HD rather than SD.

Yes I believe it's something to do with the license

Nothing. It just wasn't done because the phone was designed for the Indian market where people don't stream in full HD because data is expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭t0mm13b

Yes I believe it's something to do with the license

Xiaomi is working with Qualcomm and Google in getting the fix in place for the next release, source

Be still me beating hearts... :pac:

Only one of my speakers seems to be working. Anyone else have this issue?

There only is one speaker on the phone apart from the earpiece.

At the bottom, either side of the charging port, one is a speaker, the other is the mic.

Probably designed to look like a speaker, for aesthetics I assume.

Nothing. It just wasn't done because the phone was designed for the Indian market where people don't stream in full HD because data is expensive.

I don't know if the later part is true. I was there last month, and new JIO sim with 1.5 GB of data per day, for 30 days.... wait for it... 1 euro 50 cents. (120 rupees).

Data is not expensive there, not since 2016 when JIO launched and changed the whole market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭honda boi

Midrange or otherwise IMHO not enabling the market leading video content app to perform to the capability of the phones specs is a massive mistake unless the cost would have been prohibitive ie €20 or more (circa 5% of the cost of the phone) it's a mistake to settle for SD quality Netflix.

Would there a notable difference in SD and HD on this phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭wawaman

Does anyone know how to change the signal strength and WiFi symbols? I prefer the bars for the signal and not a block. Or what icon pack would be the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Red Lightning

There only is one speaker on the phone apart from the earpiece.

At the bottom, either side of the charging port, one is a speaker, the other is the mic.

Probably designed to look like a speaker, for aesthetics I assume.

Sound, thanks.

honda boi wrote: »
    Would there a notable difference in SD and HD on this phone?

I noticed immediately when I launched Netflix. I compared it with the same movie on a OnePlus 5 (2 year old phone) and the difference was clear. It's a bit of a first world problem so I won't be getting up tight over it but that and the lack of NFC for Android Pay really mark what is otherwise a super phone down quite a bit IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Apple is for geeks who know nothing about technology but wear thick-rimmed glasses.

positron wrote: »
    I don't know if the later part is true. I was there last month, and new JIO sim with 1.5 GB of data per day, for 30 days.... wait for it... 1 euro 50 cents. (120 rupees).

Data is not expensive there, not since 2016 when JIO launched and changed the whole market.

Not expensive for you. But it's comparatively expensive for most Indian people. You'd burn through 1.5gb a day pretty quickly streaming in 1080p too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Not expensive for you. But it's comparatively expensive for most Indian people. You'd burn through 1.5gb a day pretty quickly streaming in 1080p too.

+1
    The average salary in India is @€;580 per year.
    Taking even just €1.50 from that mounts up very quickly.
    Whilst data is relatively cheap compared to Irish rates, the comparison really needs to be made versus an Indian income.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Albanach1

Does anyone know how to turn off the notification whenever you lose network connection.

There is a bad spot in my house for signal & whenever I go near I get a notification.

Albanach1 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to turn off the notification whenever you lose network connection.

There is a bad spot in my house for signal & whenever I go near I get a notification.

Did you try long pressing on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭jeffk

I'm guessing this is the budget phone to get?

Any recombinations on where you get it?

Thinking Amazon as want to be sure if warranty etc, the solution shop is another one coming up, Irish tech website seem to rate if, one of them writes for XDA

Don't want to with eglobal after hearing some horror stories. Then don't want to get stung with custom's or having to send if back to outside of EU if issues with other sites

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

jeffk wrote: »
    I'm guessing this is the budget phone to get?

Any recombinations on where you get it?

Thinking Amazon as want to be sure if warranty etc, the solution shop is another one coming up, Irish tech website seem to rate if, one of them writes for XDA

Don't want to with eglobal after hearing some horror stories. Then don't want to get stung with custom's or having to send if back to outside of EU if issues with other sites

Thanks

Honourbuy seems to be the best place to get it from

Another thing

Is rooting etc going to void warranty with that site or Xiaomi?

I understand what you are getting at, but do trust me on this - I am from India myself, and I have dozens of friends and family there, and the country has changed massively in last few years. 150 rupees is not a lot of money in India.

Perhaps some comparisons will help - 150 rupees will buy two liters of petrol there. A liter of milk is around 40 rupees. A loaf of bread is around 35 rupees but more importantly a kilo of rice is around 40 rupees. A glass of tea at the side of the road would be 20 rupees, and cheapest of the cheap corner tea-stall breakfast would be 60-100 rupees, where as a cheapest of the cheap lunch/dinner would also be around 100 rupees. A beer would also be around 100 rupees, if not more depending on the state taxes. A daily wage worker of no special skills gets between 600 and 1400 rupees per day in parts of India (less or more in other parts, it's a large country).
    banie01 wrote:
    +1
    The average salary in India is @€;580 per year.
    Taking even just €1.50 from that mounts up very quickly.
    Whilst data is relatively cheap compared to Irish rates, the comparison really needs to be made versus an Indian income.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Income_in_India
    India's per capita income (nominal) was $1670 per year in 2016, ranked at 112th out of 164 countries by the World Bank,[1] while its per capita income on purchasing power parity (PPP) basis was US$5,350, and ranked 106th.[2] Other estimates for per capita Gross National Income and Gross Domestic Product vary by source. For example, India's average GDP per capita on PPP basis in 2009, according to The Economist, was US$5,138, with significant variation among its states and union territories. Goa had the highest per capita PPP GDP at US$14903, while Bihar the lowest with per capita PPP GDP of US$682 as of 2015 [3] In rupee terms, India's Per capita income grew by 10.4% to reach Rs.74,920 in 2013-14.

And the 150 rupees is for a month of internet access with a cap of 1.5 GB per day.

E313 128Gb version form Aliexpress from France via DHL, shame its blue but then going to get a cover recommended here as hate clear covers

Back looking

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=109024728

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭eggy81

Anyone know how I can get my phone to sync with Micloud or do I even need to.

• Advertisement
Advertisement