Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pocophone F1 - The new flagship killer?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,967 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Thanks.
    You could cancel and go with Tradingshenzhen, they're the only ones who didnt mess me around when I was trying to get it right after launch (Mi Max 3 6GB/128GB), literally all the other vendors including the semi-official Mi Global Store on Alliexpress were just lying trying to get your money then stringing you along for weeks ignoring your messages. TS were honest about when they'd get stock and would reply within minutes, you can chat to them on Whatsapp. Phone shipped exactly when they said it would and it was unlocked with the .EU rom installed when it arrived instead of that horrible fake Global ROM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

Thargor, thanks but it could be on the way now. No point in cancelling now, I soppose?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭The Soup Thief

A few points on the Pocophone F1
    It is a beast - really, really quick. UI is very responsive. Had a quick game of PUBG earlier on and was stunned - I scarcely recognised it after playing it only on my g5
    Miui will take a lot of getting used to. Everything feels in the wrong place, though I'm already liking the swipe input paradigm and particularly the recent app switcher
    Camera is fast - need to give it a good workout tomorrow
    I like the screen. Notch is odd, but it is turnoffandonnable.
    Hardware feels nice.
    I need a screen protector.

I'll add more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

^^Nice. Will you let us know if you experience any multitouch or LED bleeding issues.

Does it run very hot playing pubg? (I'm wondering if the liquid cooling is effective or a gimmick)

I'm waiting on the MI 8 to get stocked but with one eye on the Poco :)

^^Nice. Will you let us know if you experience any multitouch or LED bleeding issues.

Does it run very hot playing pubg? (I'm wondering if the liquid cooling is effective or a gimmick)

No light bleed
    I demonstrated 10 point multitouch, then ran out of fingers
    Haven't had much time tonight for PUBG, but it didn't warm up while running antutu
    I've to wait till the weekend to unlock the bootloader - seems a trivial process though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

No light bleed
    I demonstrated 10 point multitouch, then ran out of fingers
    Haven't had much time tonight for PUBG, but it didn't warm up while running antutu
    I've to wait till the weekend to unlock the bootloader - seems a trivial process though
    Nice handle,soup thief obviously from the best comedy series ever Seinfeld?

Sorry, never really watched Seinfeld. I just can't really be trusted near the kids' soup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

It was The Soup Nazi in Seinfeld. A fantastic episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

No soup for you !!!!

I reckon calling myself the soup Nazi on the internet could mislead internet denizens with dire consequences in these challenging times...
    Best I stick with The Soup Thief

• Advertisement

Hi, just want to let everybody know that my phone arrived this morning from E global. So it took 3 weeks. No problem if you knew it would take that time, you could decide to go elsewhere. Thanks.

Hi, just want to let everybody know that my phone arrived this morning from E global. So it took 3 weeks. No problem if you knew it would take that time, you could decide to go elsewhere. Thanks.

but you ordered a different phone didn't you - not a pocophone so it's not relevant to this phone. there must have been supply issues with the other phone.

2 users here got the pocophone in 7 to 8 days this week from eglobal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Red Lightning

Is delivery expensive with eglobal?

Is delivery expensive with eglobal?

it's included in the price of the phone unless you opt for optional insurance.
    you only have to pay for delivery if you're ordering something under €50

glasso wrote: »
    it's included in the price of the phone unless you opt for optional insurance.
    you only have to pay for delivery if you're ordering something under €50

Is that if it's being sent to the South? I have a friend in the North of Ireland and it's saying £25 to be sent to his address.
    Do I need a special service to deliver to the south cos the options on delivery were UK or Jersey. No Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Is that if it's being sent to the South? I have a friend in the North of Ireland and it's saying £25 to be sent to his address.
    Do I need a special service to deliver to the south cos the options on delivery were UK or Jersey. No Ireland.

There's a separate UK site, maybe you were on that?

Try https://www.eglobalcentral.eu/

I was looking at the UK site to try and get it cheaper but are people mainly working of the EU site that has the 128GB version in red for €319?

Ordered there from the EU site. Thanks for all the help.
    Btw, red is back in stock.

Busy day today looking after the kids so I didn't get to meddle with my new phone as much as I'd have liked!
    Took a few photos at the playground - camera is super quick. I've only seen the pics on the phone screen, so I can't judge too fairly, but I'm just looking back over a few snaps in good light (albeit on a dull day) - I'm used to crappy phone cameras, to my eye these are outstanding! Really sharp, lovely bright colours. I thought the lack of OIS was going to be an issue, and I guess I wasn't moving about much, but they are fab. When you turn on the AI & things like depth effects you get some really subtle bokeh and other tweaks - not as heavy handed as I'd anticipated. A couple indoors this morning were good, but not as striking. A few I took last night in very dim light were ok, but I can't imagine any phone could have performed well under those circumstances. Default camera set up puts a crappy Pocophone watermark on pics - easy to get rid of in settings.

There are loads of camera options to explore, but I've held off taking too many since it turns out I'll lose them all in a couple of days. I looked into unlocking the bootloader / rooting etc. Straightforward enough but you have to wait 72 hours from first registering, meaning I'll be wiping everything on Sunday morning.

Slight nuisance, for the current version of miui, the fancy schmancy ir face scanning (and another feature that escapes me right now) only work if you set the region to India! Do that and face scanning works beautifully, but you have to deal with getting served Indian versions of websites, which is weird.
    Anyway, there's an imminent update that should fix it, but it concerns me a bit that this clearly suggests it's dependent on the Pocophone version of miui, so I will likely lose face unlock if I install lineage or an aosp ROM.

Swipe gestures are mostly nice, though when something activates cos you reached the side of the screen, well, that's a pain (used to happen with PIE & edge detection stuff on AOKP and Paranoid Android).

Battery life is good. Will let you know if anything odd occurs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Just a thought, but for anyone put off by the lack of NFC on the F1, Xiaomi are launching a new version of the Mi band 3 this month that has NFC built in. Not sure how exactly it will function but I have read that it will support bus cards in China so it should also do so here.

Nothing for myself but maybe something for those concerned to look into.

invest4deepvalue.com

Sorry, never really watched Seinfeld. I just can't really be trusted near the kids' soup.
    One of the best episodes was concerning the soup thief

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

One of the best episodes was concerning the soup thief

It wasn't. It was a soup nazi. ;)

On you tube some reviews say that the phone has problems with wide vine? Method of decryption for Netflix etc in HD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

On you tube some reviews say that the phone has problems with wide vine? Method of decryption for Netflix etc in HD

Already been discussed in the thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭sioda

Is this really an issue on a screen so small

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Have the phone a week now and it's very fast alright. Not mad on the notch so I have enabled the hide notch feature. Most annoying drawback so far is the lack of info in the status bar at the top of the screen - no app notifications are shown. This seems to a glaring omission given that it was on my Mi 5. I think plenty of people have complained though on the Miui forums so I hope they fix this sooner rather than later.

As a matter of interest, did pocafone buyers receive the phone box wrapped in cellophane, ie an unopened box?

MOH wrote: »

Already been discussed in the thread
    Sorry didn't notice

As a matter of interest, did pocafone buyers receive the phone box wrapped in cellophane, ie an unopened box?

Yep - nice packaging, with sealed cellophane

Pdoghue wrote: »
    Have the phone a week now and it's very fast alright. Not mad on the notch so I have enabled the hide notch feature. Most annoying drawback so far is the lack of info in the status bar at the top of the screen - no app notifications are shown. This seems to a glaring omission given that it was on my Mi 5. I think plenty of people have complained though on the Miui forums so I hope they fix this sooner rather than later.

This comes with the territory with notches, I'm afraid. There are loads of apps and widgets that can give an on-screen indication as to notifications. Try having a look at those?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

So has/can anyone done a audio review, like headphones plugged in to the jack?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Pdoghue wrote: »
    I read somewhere that they're adding notifications into a future software release. Hopefully you won't be waiting too long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Well well well the phone passed Jerry Rigs Everything durability test...totally unexpected...looks like build is good enough...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Well well well the phone passed Jerry Rigs Everything durability test...totally unexpected...looks like build is good enough...

don't like his test - not real world in terms of what is likely to happen - what is more likely to happen is that you'll drop the phone or get water on it/ dunk it. bending / burning / scratching the phone is sort of pointless imo.

there was one where it broke from a 3 feet drop. the raised front edges are an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Almost all phones will break from a similar drop onto ceramic tiles.
    Marques Brownlee's iPhone X broke when it slid off a sideboard onto tiles from about the same height for example.

The JRE tests are what they are but the bend test is actually a very good indication of over all build quality and is important, a lot go people put their phones in their back pockets, everyone remembers "bendgate".

• Registered Users Posts: 46 marti9t9

For those who have received their Poco's (terrible name), did you all get a Euro style charger? That'll be a major ball ache. I ordered mine from Sunsky 29th August, it's currently being 'processed by customs'. Hopefully it slips the net.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

marti9t9 wrote: »
    For those who have received their Poco's (terrible name), did you all get a Euro style charger? That'll be a major ball ache. I ordered mine from Sunsky 29th August, it's currently being 'processed by customs'. Hopefully it slips the net.

It's hardly major unless it's your first ever phone. And even if it is, you'll get an adapter for buttons.

Patww79 wrote: »
    It's hardly major unless it's your first ever phone. And even if it is, you'll get an adapter for buttons.

True enough. I just know that with the wife's htc 10 and my OnePlus 3t (both USBc) , they charge much faster with their own respective chargers. Wonder if the poco is matched to its charger in a similar way...

Did I just see you in 'the other place? ;-)
    Yeah, I asked for a 3pin charger - they sent a 2pin and an adaptor. 3 pin Quick Charge 3 chargers and usb-c cables can be had for not much so I ordered a couple from AliExpress for about a fiver each. Not heard of anyone getting hit for duty yet.

• Advertisement

Did I just see you in 'the other place? ;-)
    Yeah, I asked for a 3pin charger - they sent a 2pin and an adaptor. 3 pin Quick Charge 3 chargers and usb-c cables can be had for not much so I ordered a couple from AliExpress for about a fiver each. Not heard of anyone getting hit for duty yet.

Haha, we're following each other all round the web! I wouldn't mind but this phone is for my wife after getting her htc wet. Happy enough with my 3T still. More than happy to be honest, great phone IMO.

Almost all phones will break from a similar drop onto ceramic tiles.
    Marques Brownlee's iPhone X broke when it slid off a sideboard onto tiles from about the same height for example.

The JRE tests are what they are but the bend test is actually a very good indication of over all build quality and is important, a lot go people put their phones in their back pockets, everyone remembers "bendgate".

If you put your phone in your back pocket, you deserve to have it bent.

It supports quick charge 4.0, the euro charger will work at that speed with an adaptor. Otherwise you could get a QC 4.0 charger form Amazon for a few quid if you really want a UK three pin plug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Basil3 wrote: »
    If you put your phone in your back pocket, you deserve to have it bent.

That's word for word what I was going to type earlier only I got sidetracked :D

It supports quick charge 4.0, the euro charger will work at that speed with an adaptor. Otherwise you could get a QC 4.0 charger form Amazon for a few quid if you really want a UK three pin plug.

Thanks for that. Good to know. I think an adapter+charger is probably a bit of a faff, especially if you're trying to plug it in behind a bedside locker or similar. An Amazon charger sounds like a good idea.

Thanks for that. Good to know. I think an adapter+charger is probably a bit of a faff, especially if you're trying to plug it in behind a bedside locker or similar. An Amazon charger sounds like a good idea.

True enough. Be handy for any trips to the continent all the same!

I understood it supports QC 4 but apparently the Xiaomi website lists it as QC 3. Doesn't really matter since it's virtually impossible to find QC 4 chargers on Amazon or anywhere else. I read around and found that there are few practical differences between QC 3 and 4, so I just ordered some QC 3 ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Can anybody who has this talk about the image stabilisation or lack thereof on the camera?

I hate shaky-hand videos more than most things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

glasso wrote: »
    but you ordered a different phone didn't you - not a pocophone so it's not relevant to this phone. there must have been supply issues with the other phone.

2 users here got the pocophone in 7 to 8 days this week from eglobal.

Fyi i had more or less the same issue with eglobal.

Ordered the F1 on the 7th, nothing happened for a week and when i queried it they told me it was out of stock & wouldnt ship for another week. Site said it was in stock the whole time.

Seems like its their m.o. to list phones before they have stock.

Thursday last i saw the had the red version listed so emailed them asking to switch to that colour and whether i should cancel/ reorder. They auto responded an hour later with a mail saying my order changed to “dispatching soon” and couldnt be changed now. :s

Mildly annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Well you can add me to the ranks of Poco F1 owners. After much back and forth Ive Just popped in an order. OnePlus is not getting my cash for taking away the headphone jack dagnabbit!

So the plan is, after a few extended months of play time its going to be my fulltime go-to sat-nav as the old Redmi Note 3 is slowing and Google maps keeps closing on it now... my OnePlus 3 and 5T are working fine but I don't like Amoled screens being always on like mapping use so this should fit the bill perfectly .

Advertisement