Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2018 Campaign

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 TheCandidate_

Just think this time in 2 weeks , we will all have gotten our emails...

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭W221

Starting to look like FT is finished for this one. Ah well. Only two weeks to go! I don’t know about the rest of you but time is flying by for me. I blink and another week is gone! Kinda makes me feel like I’m paying my mortgage more than I should be lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Greyhound79

W221 wrote: »
    Starting to look like FT is finished for this one. Ah well. Only two weeks to go! I don’t know about the rest of you but time is flying by for me. I blink and another week is gone! Kinda makes me feel like I’m paying my mortgage more than I should be lol

Yeah, looks like D-Day for the rest of us is two weeks away.
    Better finish all the Easter Eggs now and start the walking/running (whilst carrying a defibrillator for myself) this weekend!
    Have a great weekend all!

Yeah, looks like D-Day for the rest of us is two weeks away.
    Better finish all the Easter Eggs now and start the walking/running (whilst carrying a defibrillator for myself) this weekend!
    Have a great weekend all!

I’m out for our wedding anniversary tonight so I’ll start the “diet” on Monday lol

Have a good weekend folks

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Aimforstars

I’m out for our wedding anniversary tonight so I’ll start the “diet” on Monday lol

Have a good weekend folks

Similarly today I'm out for a wedding so going to definitely have to sort nutrition out on Monday and look for walls to climb too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭YNWA27

Similarly today I'm out for a wedding so going to definitely have to sort nutrition out on Monday and look for walls to climb too.

Kids play parks are surprisingly good for obstacles

I think the walls of your house will suffice waiting for the next stages lol

YNWA27 wrote: »
    Kids play parks are surprisingly good for obstacles

Very good point! I’ve got two parks close to my house, and two large forests to cycle around.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Andy smith

Hi guys.just posting to help anyone worried about training.i have my pca date.im doing 3 minutes on the treadmill at 5mph.(slow jog) then the next 3 minutes at 7.5mph.doing this for a half hour sessions.i think it beneficial to your pace fluctuating during assault course whilst you are still getting conditioned for a fast pace around the lap.i covered just over 5km in the 30mins.i had a moderate fitness level.but for anyone not at this level start at 3mph to 6 and work towards it.i hope this benefits some of you guys...

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭MidwifeN

So nobody on here heard yesterday; anybody know of anyone not on here who heard? So much nicer not hearing when nobody else did either ��. 2 weeks will fly! Iv finished my first two weeks of bootcamp at gym and there's lots of HIIT involved so hoping its helping me. Main focus is up my fitness level and get stronger between now and any fitness test as Im weak as anything and bet my ass id end up on my chin trying to hoist myself up that wall in the test whether theres a wee lip on it or not lol

• Advertisement

Andy smith wrote: »
    Hi guys.just posting to help anyone worried about training.i have my pca date.im doing 3 minutes on the treadmill at 5mph.(slow jog) then the next 3 minutes at 7.5mph.doing this for a half hour sessions.i think it beneficial to your pace fluctuating during assault course whilst you are still getting conditioned for a fast pace around the lap.i covered just over 5km in the 30mins.i had a moderate fitness level.but for anyone not at this level start at 3mph to 6 and work towards it.i hope this benefits some of you guys...

Cheers Andy Smith for that. Sounds like what I'm doing too, though I'm just out running on the road. Attempted some form of running and HIIT there at the weekend and I'm walking around like John Wayne here!!!

Cheers Andy Smith for that. Sounds like what I'm doing too, though I'm just out running on the road. Attempted some form of running and HIIT there at the weekend and I'm walking around like John Wayne here!!!

Just be cautious on the road!the hard surface can be a shock to the system if not used to it.can get an injury easily.

Andy smith wrote: »
    Just be cautious on the road!the hard surface can be a shock to the system if not used to it.can get an injury easily.

Easily rectified with appropriate foot wear or insoles.

Easily rectified with appropriate foot wear or insoles.

Injury not as easily rectified

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Unknowndude

Steady warm up and cool down afterwards is definitely beneficial especially if you are only starting out,plenty of good videos on YouTube about stretches and other good advice. You don't want to be going too hard too soon,build up your intensity and mileage over time

That is the plan!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Toots123

I have been doing more exercise like walking then jogging vise versa. and a few wee gym classes inbetween But i think once i know if i am through (fingers crossed) i will put my head down and get at it 100%.

Toots123 wrote: »
    I have been doing more exercise like walking then jogging vise versa. and a few wee gym classes inbetween But i think once i know if i am through (fingers crossed) i will put my head down and get at it 100%.

I’m kinda in the same mindset, I’ve stepped things up at work like running up 18/20 flights of stairs instead of walking etc. That’s pretty tough to do I have to admit. We’re always lifting and carrying heavy stuff too. The mountain bike has made a return as well.

As the AC results day looms I have decided that to avoid any one getting confused of the process after AC i'll lay it out. From 1710 thread and knowledge of the process from friends and fam who have went through it.

1. AC results.

2. Vetting forms issued and will be ongoing concurrently with the rest if the process

3. PCA invites in Merit Order. PCA pass 1st time; progress forward. Fail. 12 weeks from PCA to re-test. Support sessions avail. Can re attempt PCA at any support session. Fail re-rest, disqualed from process.

4. Medical 2-4 weeks after PCA. SMT samples taken at medical.

5. Medical result either day of or day after medical.

6. SMT result issued after medical 2-8 weeks after.

7. Online learning issued after PCA.

8. SMT result.

9. Vetting result. Fails issued by letter, passes by email. No point contacting vetting asking for an update or an idea of when it will be passed. They don't know.

10. Once Appointable. The call. In merit order.

11. On call days the reserves for the previous intake and deferrals for that month are called first.

12. Induction Pack with district choices/availability. Pick up to 4. Equal weighting.

13. Induction. Find out you intake colour and what district you are going to. Specific LPT allocation given weeks 19-22.

14. Start SOTP.

Thanks for that YNWA27. Hopefully it's a path we will all be taking shortly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Orbital1

As the AC results day looms I have decided that to avoid any one getting confused of the process after AC i'll lay it out. From 1710 thread and knowledge of the process from friends and fam who have went through it.

1. AC results.

2. Vetting forms issued and will be ongoing concurrently with the rest if the process

3. PCA invites in Merit Order. PCA pass 1st time; progress forward. Fail. 12 weeks from PCA to re-test. Support sessions avail. Can re attempt PCA at any support session. Fail re-rest, disqualed from process.

8. SMT result.

9. Vetting result. Fails issued by letter, passes by email. No point contacting vetting asking for an update or an idea of when it will be passed. They don't know.

11. On call days the reserves for the previous intake and deferrals for that month are called first.

12. Induction Pack with district choices/availability. Pick up to 4. Equal weighting.

13. Induction. Find out you intake colour and what district you are going to. Specific LPT allocation given weeks 19-22.

14. Start SOTP.

You have laid it out perfectly!

Thanks YNWA... Not all hero's wear capes!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Throwaway36

Good job laying that out!

Have you any thoughts on when 1810 might start getting calls? Given that there is plenty to get through from 1710. I was initially thinking August when FT1 notifications came through but now I’m thinking much later?

Good job laying that out!

Have you any thoughts on when 1810 might start getting calls? Given that there is plenty to get through from 1710. I was initially thinking August when FT1 notifications came through but now I’m thinking much later?

PCA is only valid for 6 months so they probs are looking to do mixed intakes.

1 or 2 classes from 1710 and then the 3rd class from 1810 or vice versa

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Troaway

1. AC results.

8. SMT result.

14. Start SOTP.

Cheers for this.

Yea Scouser really appreciate your overview of the process,it will be long but it will be worth it in the end if successful lol

Does the increasing violence against police officers mainly in the northern counties (And in general) make anyone doubt whether the job is for them? I know there has always been a threat against police here but you are more in tune to it when you are going through this process,just wanted to know how people felt on the matter. Might motivate people more to try and help the situation?

Does the increasing violence against police officers mainly in the northern counties (And in general) make anyone doubt whether the job is for them? I know there has always been a threat against police here but you are more in tune to it when you are going through this process,just wanted to know how people felt on the matter. Might motivate people more to try and help the situation?

Morning. This is just my opinion, and it's just an opinion. I don't think there is increasing violence against the police. It has always been there, just various levels at different times, but not steadily increasing. I have no doubt that this is the job for me and have always been aware of the security and violence risk associated with it. However if we are successful, all this and how to manage it will be covered off in our training in GV.
    From what I see from where I am from, there are alot of members of the police force actively working together on a daily basis with members of the community where it is known to be trouble hotspots.

Not at all, scares my mum to no end but think of the non terrorist threats we will face day in day out.

Bodily fluids, restraining people with hep c spitting blood at you, the chance of getting pricked with a needle, dog bites, searching houses that you'd wipe your feet on the way out.

Not to mention the horrendous things we'll see being generally the first emergency services to arrive.

Remember if you dial 999 for a suspected heart attack it's 50/50 if a police car or ambulance turns up

Thanks for the replies,appreciate them and I totally understand both your feelings on the matter. I have to agree with the family being more concerned that what I am. There's a hidden pressure there then when family members express there concerns. Do agree about the training we will receive if successful will prepare us mentally and physically for the stressses of the job. It's nice to hear people's opinions on it thank you

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies,appreciate them and I totally understand both your feelings on the matter. I have to agree with the family being more concerned that what I am. There's a hidden pressure there then when family members express there concerns. Do agree about the training we will receive if successful will prepare us mentally and physically for the stressses of the job. It's nice to hear people's opinions on it thank you

I think there will be situations you can't fully prepare yourself for but there will hopefully be additional support.

This is something i have thought long and hard about for a very long time and for every 1 reason there is for not doing this job i have 3 reasons for wanting to be a police officer. My family too have reservations regarding safety and risk but have always supported my decisions what comes may.
    I am a mature applicant and have lived through a fair bit of the troubles but i absolutely have no doubt that if i make it through to the end of the process that it will be the right career for me. My big worry is if i dont get accepted!!

I’ve often wondered what the younger applicants think of the security risk, there’s bound to be applicants and officers who weren’t around when things were “bad”. Does the threat seem as real? I lost my uncle when I was 10 to the troubles we had here, he was an RUC Officer. Killed by some tube with a big gun. He was in his very early 30’s.

I’ve a few reasons why I’d like to be an officer and also think it’s the career path I’d like to go on, even at a later stage of my working life. I’ve been an engineer for 20 years as of this year. I’ve thought about this job for years and years but never dared to apply or talk about it with my family due to the reason already mentioned. My family are supportive of my application but also shared their concerns. I/we are very aware of the threat, in a strange way it makes my drive to join even greater than before.

I’ve often wondered what the younger applicants think of the security risk, there’s bound to be applicants and officers who weren’t around when things were “bad”. Does the threat seem as real? I lost my uncle when I was 10 to the troubles we had here, he was an RUC Officer. Killed by some tube with a big gun. He was in his very early 30’s.

I’ve a few reasons why I’d like to be an officer and also think it’s the career path I’d like to go on, even at a later stage of my working life. I’ve been an engineer for 20 years as of this year. I’ve thought about this job for years and years but never dared to apply or talk about it with my family due to the reason already mentioned. My family are supportive of my application but also shared their concerns. I/we are very aware of the threat, in a strange way it makes my drive to join even greater than before.

Lived with the knowledge that someone could come for my dad all my life.

Security forces family on all sides. So the threat is very real but i'm probably normalised to it. Early 20s myself

Officially 7 days to D day

:eek:

• Advertisement

Officially 7 days to D day

It's been a long time in coming lol I know it's a long process overall but waiting to see if you passed the AC has been hard. This wee forum will be busy this time next week

It's been a long time in coming lol I know it's a long process overall but waiting to see if you passed the AC has been hard. This wee forum will be busy this time next week

Too right it's been a long wait. I just hope that I did well enough in the AC to progress to the PCA. I know we're all feeling like this.

How's fitness going?

Bigger question: who is H?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Kbe173

How's fitness going?

I have a pretty good fitness level to begin with and was doing well ramping it up following FT email but things have went a big wayside the past 2 weeks!!
    Hopefully the familiarisation will give me a kick to get going again,and the good weather!

How's fitness going?

HAHAHAHA! money is on Gill!

Fitness is not going to plan!! Would do great in the evenings, but then the easter eggs in the fridge are screaming out to be eaten!

• Advertisement

Kbe173 wrote: »
    I have a pretty good fitness level to begin with and was doing well ramping it up following FT email but things have went a big wayside the past 2 weeks!!
    Hopefully the familiarisation will give me a kick to get going again,and the good weather!

The good weather definitely encourages activity. I won't be able to make familiarisation due to work but think it would probably be good motivation. I think you'll be able to get back into it easily.

HAHAHAHA! money is on Gill!

Fitness is not going to plan!! Would do great in the evenings, but then the easter eggs in the fridge are screaming out to be eaten!

I said she's involved somehow. She's not really into Ted for the right reasons. Some are saying that the clue that H is high up in the police is a red herring. I think Patricia Carmichael has some involvement but that may be because I don't warm to her. I want more on Lisa too.

Chocolate is good recovery food :p plus they're eggs so surely protein. I'm trying to eat mine so less temptation.

Now don’t be spoiling anything for me and the wife (the wife and I if you’re from BT9 :) )we’ve only started watching the show!!!!

Will the emails come on friday morning? And were will they cime from. Psni or Deliotte.
    Its been a very looooooong wait!!

Will the emails come on friday morning? And were will they cime from. Psni or Deliotte.

It’ll be Deloitte and could be any time of the day! I’ve had some early and some quite late. Mostly late if I’m honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Kbe173

Fast track emails were from PSNI. Hoping they dont leave it until 16.55!!
    I'm really anxious to see the marks breakdown so I can only imagine how you are feeling. Not long at all now though. Remember to check spam as it'll be from an email address youve never received from before.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Nhs2018

Not to over excite but they released the IST results a day early. Expected by close of business on 13/12/18 and I received mine on 12/12/18.

Could be early

Nhs2018 wrote: »
    Not to over excite but they released the IST results a day early. Expected by close of business on 13/12/18 and I received mine on 12/12/18.

Yeah I suppose they could release any time up to the COP on the 10th. Not long now!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭MidwifeN

Imagine how nervous we will all be this time next week!! Getting so close. Hoping for some good news; not sure I can deal with any more heartache after Avengers: Endgame. I'm an emotional wreck ever since lol

• Advertisement
Advertisement