Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2018 Campaign

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 JR87A

Toots123 wrote: »
    Morning all. Feels like the morning after!!lol
    That was the 1st good nights sleep i have had in a week.
    Now that i have had time to think it all through it really is exciting times ahead.
    Time to really get my butt in gear and get ready for the fitness end. Made an appointment to get my eyes checked also as i may need to get lazer done to meet the unaided standard. But im just going to not stress and take the next stages ad they come. The AC was the big hurdle the rest is in my own control to a certain extent.

Unaided standard? Well that's be hammered, nothing but blur without my glasses

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭JJss1988

SAPY wrote: »
    Long time lurker passed in the mid 60s so happy really did not expect it. I just hope its is enough.

I only got a score of 59.00 so I am expecting a bad merit list number which could be up in the 700s at least depending on how many have passed the AC stage.
    I am still confident of getting all the the way to GV some time in 2020.Along this journey people will pull out, some will fail the PCA, some will fail their medicals etc.
    You will have a better merit list number than me and you will certainly get there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Unknowndude

JJss1988 wrote: »
    I only got a score of 59.00 so I am expecting a bad merit list number which could be up in the 700s at least depending on how many have passed the AC stage.
    I am still confident of getting all the the way to GV some time in 2020.Along this journey people will pull out, some will fail the PCA, some will fail their medicals etc.
    You will have a better merit list number than me and you will certainly get there.

Yea my score wasn't far off yours either,but like you said keep confident and also appreciate what you have achieved. So many others who deserved it and really wanted it didn't get a pass. We will get the GV with the right attitude and work rate. It might be a bit of a longer journey than others on the merit list but we will get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 wonkyempresso

I really wouldn't be worried about your score. That's a solid pass. Have to remember that 231 people that went to the assessment centre were still in the process for 1710 so perhaps not all of them will have passed, but there could be a good chunk that have perhaps got the call and will pull out then on top of that some people will have to defer, withdraw or fail. So you could be in before you know it. It's a long game but make the most of the summer, get as fit as possible to make pca and gv easier and look forward to the future!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Toots123

I really wouldn't be worried about your score. That's a solid pass. Have to remember that 231 people that went to the assessment centre were still in the process for 1710 so perhaps not all of them will have passed, but there could be a good chunk that have perhaps got the call and will pull out then on top of that some people will have to defer, withdraw or fail. So you could be in before you know it. It's a long game but make the most of the summer, get as fit as possible to make pca and gv easier and look forward to the future!
    Well said. Totally agree. We have all done super to get this far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭JJss1988

What would the guess be for total amount on the merit list?
    Possibly 1,000 approx?

Just looking back on the 1710 thread it looks like the merit list was 1052 long but may be different this time. Join psni website says they receive the merit list in a few days so hopefully know soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭E18

Realistically what sort of time frame are we looking here for pca for those around a B..
    I really had counted myself out of the running due to personal matters, I changed my assessment centre date and was very nearly not going, thankfully my family talked me into it, and I haven't ran the length of myself in a long time. Just want to know how long I have to try and reverse some damage lol

E18 wrote: »
    Realistically what sort of time frame are we looking here for pca for those around a B..
    I really had counted myself out of the running due to personal matters, I changed my assessment centre date and was very nearly not going, thankfully my family talked me into it, and I haven't ran the length of myself in a long time. Just want to know how long I have to try and reverse some damage lol

Hard to tell until the merit list comes out but even then it's guess work. B' s could be seen relatively soon as fast tracks which would be a* and some a' s have already or soon have their pca and their vetting is under way. Could be a lot of people in the b bracket though

Hard to tell until the merit list comes out but even then it's guess work. B' s could be seen relatively soon as fast tracks which would be a* and some a' s have already or soon have their pca and their vetting is under way. Could be a lot of people in the b bracket though

Yea I'm in that same grade myself,was wondering when it would be too. Guess it could be a month or two before we have our PCA but that's just a blind guess lol we just have to be preparing for it as if it's next week so we are ready. Give yourself time to enjoy getting to this stage to though. It hasn't been easy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Pips01

Just looking back on the 1710 thread it looks like the merit list was 1052 long but may be different this time. Join psni website says they receive the merit list in a few days so hopefully know soon enough

How many people have been employed from this do you reckon?
    Seems like a lot of applicants

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭MidwifeN

Does anybody know the stance on piercings? I previously had my lip pierced and it closed over.. still have a really deep and obvious scar and Id quite like to get it done again as may as well with the scar on it but dont know what way it works... will it need remove on the job? Is it allowed at all? Can a clear retainer be left in like my old work? Thanks! Anything I can find online is about tattoos only

• Registered Users Posts: 10 cherryapple444

MidwifeN wrote: »
    Does anybody know the stance on piercings? I previously had my lip pierced and it closed over.. still have a really deep and obvious scar and Id quite like to get it done again as may as well with the scar on it but dont know what way it works... will it need remove on the job? Is it allowed at all? Can a clear retainer be left in like my old work? Thanks! Anything I can find online is about tattoos only
    In gv they would make you take it out completely and on the ground they wouldn’t appreciate it because it would an issue if someone ripped it out

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭MidwifeN

In gv they would make you take it out completely and on the ground they wouldn’t appreciate it because it would an issue if someone ripped it out

No worries thanks! I'll just leave it undone then lol not worth the pain or hassle as my piercings close over very quickly if taken out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Bellebelfast

Anyone any tips on physical fitness. I'm rubbish at training alone.

You need to build it up over time depending on where you are starting out at. Like a few minutes walking then 1 minute running and so on and keep building it up. Don't go out too fast on your running. Slow and steady til your body adapts to the stresses of running. Also like others said crossfit will be good as it combines running and cardio with strength exercises. But with anything start it off easy and build it up. Don't try and build it up too soon. Listen to music during it too that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 5 CR4SSF1TGUY

What kind of fitness level currently? Inactive/active?

Drop me a pm if you need help, plenty of experience in the fitness field and training myself of GV!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Down2Business

I do a lot of CrossFit training and HIIT workouts, which is what I would recommend. In effect the PCA is a timed endurance workout with periods of anaerobic movements incorporated. To that end HIIT workouts are perfect.

Think maximum effort for timed periods with short recovery built in. Start small and manageable and you will, through frequency, build it up in no time. Movement wise you would maybe want to look at Burpees, Squats, Lunges, Mountain climbers and over time progress to use Boxes, Kettle Bells, Barbells.

The fun you will have doing this knows no end too, which is a bonus. ☺️

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭YNWA27

Guys the time frame shouldnt matter. If you have passed you should be getting fit, you should have been getting fit from day 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Nhs2018

Anyone know if you get your PCA date can you defer for a period of time? I’m post op so not quite back to full fitness. Slow and steady!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Bellebelfast

What kind of fitness level currently? Inactive/active?

Drop me a pm if you need help, plenty of experience in the fitness field and training myself of GV!

Hey!
    I trained a few years ago with a pt & have totally got out of the way of it. Any help would be appreciated. X

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Troaway

Hey!
    I trained a few years ago with a pt & have totally got out of the way of it. Any help would be appreciated. X

Look up some CrossFit workouts such as one called "Murph".

I'd replace pull-ups with something like burpees assuming you don't have them.

There are plenty of things you could do as well such as 1minute on 30seconds off on the treadmill/rower or 500m sprint rower short break then repeat etc.

Or go back to basics and just run the arse off yourself, but.start small of you don't that way, you easily injure yourself going mad on running

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Greyhound79

"I'll start on Monday, next week!" said a few people.
    The famous Monday has arrived. So who all has started the health kick for PCA??

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Treebeard4345

Im a long time lurker, Got a reasonably high pass (65-70). Anyone done the PCA recently? Is it that
    difficult? Im in reasonable shape and have been assured by quite a few you can almost walk it bar the run to the start again? That its more about how well you clear the obstacle rather than how fast you do it? How close is this to your experience? Obviously I appreciate no one from this campaign has done it yet but ive seen quite a few comments from people from other campaigns.

"I'll start on Monday, next week!" said a few people.
    The famous Monday has arrived. So who all has started the health kick for PCA??

I train 5 days a week, that said, I did “kick it” a bit harder this morning. Barbell complex workouts are NO FUN at any time, no matter what the end goal is though 😂

Im a long time lurker, Got a reasonably high pass (65-70). Anyone done the PCA recently? Is it that
    difficult? Im in reasonable shape and have been assured by quite a few you can almost walk it bar the run to the start again? That its more about how well you clear the obstacle rather than how fast you do it? How close is this to your experience? Obviously I appreciate no one from this campaign has done it yet but ive seen quite a few comments from people from other campaigns.

Having done it, I wouldn’t say you can walk it, be careful on the obstacles but you need to have some pace about you completing them as quickly as possible without having to redo any. No matter your level of fitness by the end it does take a fair bit out of you

I have heard of others in previous campaigns getting offered a PCA familiarastion. Do people know what that involves? Is it just you getting to see the course or are you actually able to do a mock run of it? Thanks

I have heard of others in previous campaigns getting offered a PCA familiarastion. Do people know what that involves? Is it just you getting to see the course or are you actually able to do a mock run of it? Thanks

Yeah I've spoken to a few people about the familiarisation day. It will be offered to you but not mandatory to attend. If you go to the familiarisation day, you can see the course lay out and will be allowed to try parts of the course or see how heavy the weights or drag mat are/is. However you are not allowed to try the whole course in one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 SUFTUM95

I did the PCA about 2-3 months ago. I would consider myself reasonably fit. I passed fairly comfortably but you definitely can’t walk as suggested above!

Don’t trust the woman in the YouTube video!

My main tip would be to know the course inside out, know what and where you’re going next will shave valuable time off your result. If offered a familiarisation day definitely go. I regret not going!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies,that's helps. Will definitely go to the familiarastion day just to even get a feel for it before the real thing. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Throwaway36

Thanks for the replies,that's helps. Will definitely go to the familiarastion day just to even get a feel for it before the real thing. Thanks again

Don’t forget the familiarisation session is also very useful for calming any nerves you might have! Things like making your way to the location, finding out how you will enter the location, experiencing the temperature of the hall, meeting staff and others in your position is all very reassuring!

Don’t forget the familiarisation session is also very useful for calming any nerves you might have! Things like making your way to the location, finding out how you will enter the location, experiencing the temperature of the hall, meeting staff and others in your position is all very reassuring!

Yep,that's a couple of great reasons for going too. Well said

Who ever said you can walk it was lying

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Treebeard4345

YNWA27 wrote: »

I dont think they were being literal "you can ALMOST walk it.." I'm trying to work out if it is as hard as its made out on here at times, but im sure the familiarisation will give me an idea

I dont think they were being literal "you can ALMOST walk it.." I'm trying to work out if it is as hard as its made out on here at times, but im sure the familiarisation will give me an idea

Trust me it's no cake walk lol, it's a maximum effort test...

You should be be flat out from the word go

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Toots123

When do yous think the merit list and vetting emails will arrive.

Toots123 wrote: »
    When do yous think the merit list and vetting emails will arrive.

I dont think everyone will get vetting forms at the same time.

Will be in tranches in merit order

Interestingly on the subject of PCA, I saw some images the other day (no recollection where mind you!) of TSG running through their equivalent. A lot of similarities albeit with the added challenge of a weighted vest. I have to say it looked like a lot of fun.

On a personal level I can’t wait for the PCA. I train a lot, did the marathon, have done an Ironman and am doing a tough mudder in July. With that said, I know it will throw it’s own challenges, I just can’t wait for them...!

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭MD4PSNI

Having completed and passed the PCA a few years ago... i personally think its achievable if you have an active lifestyle. I found circuit training very good for it. As others have said... maximum effort for 4 mins. Although i would say be careful when completing it as you dont want to make any mistakes.

I got out of the way of the gym for a while but im back at it and eating clean at the minute and im looking forward to it! Spinning is helping shift the fat and that will also help at Medical Stage (if i get there) as they look at body composition.

Hopefully vetting forms arrive soom and the PSNI stages start moving as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 GMAC1997

Hi guys i got a pass (High B).. I'm curious if any of you folks from the previous campaigns would know a rough time frame of when i get my ML number and invite to PCA and so on. I'm currently getting job offers to move firm in my current industry I would like to earn a whack of dosh in case i had to move address, but dont want to jump just in case i end up progressing through the rather quickly than i expect (less than a year)..

Cheers!

• Advertisement

GMAC1997 wrote: »
    Hi guys i got a pass (High B).. I'm curious if any of you folks from the previous campaigns would know a rough time frame of when i get my ML number and invite to PCA and so on. I'm currently getting job offers to move firm in my current industry I would like to earn a whack of dosh in case i had to move address, but dont want to jump just in case i end up progressing through the rather quickly than i expect (less than a year)..

Cheers!

You can always defer entry to GV mate...

1710 high 60s got PCAs in the summer of 2018.

Cheers!

You can always defer entry to GV mate...

1710 high 60s got PCAs in the summer of 2018.

I was mid 60s and had my pca last June!

Cheers folks, i will probably stick with my current firm until the day comes for GV (hopefully). Reason for asking was because i thought it might take me 2 years until GV.. Just very hard gauging how long it will be! excited for future though��

Cheers folks, i will probably stick with my current firm until the day comes for GV (hopefully). Reason for asking was because i thought it might take me 2 years until GV.. Just very hard gauging how long it will be! excited for future though��

When the 1509 guys talked about 2 years or over to get in they meant from application.

And 1509 was delayed cause of the cheating scandal.

1st intake for 1710 was in GV within 10 months from application

When the 1509 guys talked about 2 years or over to get in they meant from application.

And 1509 was delayed cause of the cheating scandal.

1st intake for 1710 was in GV within 10 months from application

I'm hoping there isn't loads of A people.... merit list will give a good indication:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Tashbash

I scored a low B in the AC. Theoretically if everyone ahead of me on the merit list passes everything else and no one drops out, is it possible that even with passing everything else myself I may not be offered employment? Is the assessment score the most important thing or can I bring up my chances doing well in the PCA?

Is there anything coming up other than the PCA that is competitive like the AC?

Tashbash wrote: »
    I scored a low B in the AC. Theoretically if everyone ahead of me on the merit list passes everything else and no one drops out, is it possible that even with passing everything else myself I may not be offered employment? Is the assessment score the most important thing or can I bring up my chances doing well in the PCA?

Is there anything coming up other than the PCA that is competitive like the AC?

I would hope not as I scored a low B too lol but that has never crossed my mind about not being appointable if you have passed all stages. I know we will be further down the merit list but I would assume that would just mean a longer wait if we are successful at all stages. As far as I know the AC determined our ML position. Don't think that changes now but I could be wrong. Suppose it depends too on how many were successful at the AC and what size of merit pool there is. I'm sure someone will be able to answer your question better but like I said I scored a low B and I'm not worried about that at the minute. Just trying to pass all stages and see where that takes me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Itsthebartman

Have heard in recent weeks that the intake may be quicker this year due to demand, any truth in this? Or has anyone any clues on timescales for the remainder of the recruitment process?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Tashbash

I would hope not as I scored a low B too lol but that has never crossed my mind about not being appointable if you have passed all stages. I know we will be further down the merit list but I would assume that would just mean a longer wait if we are successful at all stages. As far as I know the AC determined our ML position. Don't think that changes now but I could be wrong. Suppose it depends too on how many were successful at the AC and what size of merit pool there is. I'm sure someone will be able to answer your question better but like I said I scored a low B and I'm not worried about that at the minute. Just trying to pass all stages and see where that takes me.

Yeah I was over the moon to have passed at all haha but just with reading things like there was 350 places in an intake a couple of years ago who knows how far down the merit list I’ll be and whether everyone ahead of me passes everything as well will they fill those 350 places before me?

@Tashbash, anything can happen. Some candidates may feel that this is not the role they want after all. Some may accept other job offers, some may fail the PCA/medical/vetting. For others, family issues may arise that might cause them to defer or refuse position. No body knows. Like yourself, I'm just hoping that once I get my merit listing and date for the PCA, that I will pass the final hurdles and get a offer call.

• Advertisement
Advertisement