Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2018 Campaign

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭JJss1988

GMAC1997 wrote: »
    I'm hoping there isn't loads of A people.... merit list will give a good indication:eek:

I would guess the Merit will be between 700-1000 but again it’s just my guess.
    Hopefully it’s not as big as that so that everyone gets the chance to get to GV.
    I believe we all will get there.
    I said in an earlier post that people will pull out,Fail PCA,Fail Medicals etc so I really think we all will get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 wonkyempresso

People in the 1710 campaign that are 750 odd in the merit list just got the call last week for gv for June. It may take slightly longer but the psni really need as many people as they can get atm. Best thing to do is try and focus on other things and don't get consumed by the process as it will make it painstakingly longer. It's what we all want to do and we will get there eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭YNWA27

The media always states "The PSNI is looking for 350 constables from this years recruitment competition" but in reality it means nothing the PSNI will take until they are told to stop by who ever gives them the money.

The AC is what determines ML position.

Lower position people may be appointable before some higher position people due to vetting, PCA failz etc. and may get the call before a higher scorer but here on in it's just pass/fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭nickolatte94

Don’t be fooled by the 350 new recruits line.

They’ve said that for both 1510 and 1710 campaigns, the merit list was exhausted for 1510 and it looks like they are doing the same for 1710, so I wouldn’t panic Too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Andy smith

Anyone know anyone that got an A*?
    That would have been some achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭MidwifeN

Say they release the vetting forms and PCA date at the same time does that mean in reality it could be months and months before I hear any word again?! This process is draining... dont get me wrong I want it so much but its painful lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Unknowndude

MidwifeN wrote: »
    Say they release the vetting forms and PCA date at the same time does that mean in reality it could be months and months before I hear any word again?! This process is draining... dont get me wrong I want it so much but its painful lol

From what I have seen on other threads the vetting can sometimes take a long while to be returned and completed. Think with the PCA you should know on the day I would think as it's timed,you could even time it yourself too. Hopefully the other stages won't be too long in coming but if you look at previous intakes they say the same thing about the wait being torture lol merit list will probably determine how long we wait. I might have taken your message up wrong lol if I have apologies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Toots123

Hey got the eyes tested today to be on the safe side. Cleared all the vision requirements thankfully. Training going well my PT a personal friend is putting me through my paces and basing it around the video. Hard to climb the wall as not blessed with long legs. LOL
    Hows everybody else getting on.
    I thought once i passed the AC i would be able to content myself and take the rest as it comes. But ohhh nooo. That an't the case. So impatient!! Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 49 wonkyempresso

I thought the same. It's a very testing process. All the waiting and even though the system is soo much better than it used to be, dealing with the unknown. Like atm I'm thinking how long will merit list take? Says a few days on psni website so hopefully the end of this week.

• Advertisement

I thought the same. It's a very testing process. All the waiting and even though the system is soo much better than it used to be, dealing with the unknown. Like atm I'm thinking how long will merit list take? Says a few days on psni website so hopefully the end of this week.
    Yes im still checking my emails 100times a day and the psni website for updates. I really would like to get my vetting underway as it seems to be a very slow process. You would imagine with all the latest technology it could be done fairly quickly, but none of this process is quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭MD4PSNI

Toots123 wrote: »
    Yes im still checking my emails 100times a day and the psni website for updates. I really would like to get my vetting underway as it seems to be a very slow process. You would imagine with all the latest technology it could be done fairly quickly, but none of this process is quick.

I didnt want to burst anyones bubble on passing AC Stage.... but having been through the process more than once and completeing every stage and passing in 13/09, there are many twists and turns that are unforseen. Its far from over and we all have got to a good point right now but theres a long way to go until we get a phone call! Its literally a rollercoaster! My 2013 application nearly broke me. I had so many issues along the way and a stupid minor conviction from 2009 ruled me out of the process after passing everything. Just dont take anything for granted and keep the heads up. Its a long haul so try and keep up the training and things will hopefully fall into place for everyone. We will keep up the chat in this to keep us all busy lol

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭E18

Is there a rough timescale for the familiarisation before your PCA date?
    Are you on the same familarisation session as those completing the pca on the same date, or is it random?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭W221

YNWA27 wrote: »
    When the 1509 guys talked about 2 years or over to get in they meant from application.

And 1509 was delayed cause of the cheating scandal.

1st intake for 1710 was in GV within 10 months from application

Yeah I pulled myself from 1509 because of this very reason. I got my PCA date which was 12 weeks from AC results date. That was with a middle B pass. Completed vetting too.

Toots123 I am going to a bootcamp 3 times a week and doing alot of hiit which I think will really help me. Debating getting a PT once this bootcamps finished alongside the next one but not sure it would benefit me anymore than bootcamp and trying to work on my running with couch to 5k. Suppose its all going to help eh... will pay off in some way whether it be general fitness or the PCA specifically

Toots123 I am going to a bootcamp 3 times a week and doing alot of hiit which I think will really help me. Debating getting a PT once this bootcamps finished alongside the next one but not sure it would benefit me anymore than bootcamp and trying to work on my running with couch to 5k. Suppose its all going to help eh... will pay off in some way whether it be general fitness or the PCA specifically
    Wow your doing fab certainly going head on. Go you. I used to do the bootcamps but found the very early start not my cup of tea. Mind you if im lucky enuf to get through the rest if the process i may get used to many early mornings and late finishes. What was your pass grade. Mine was a high B.

• Advertisement

Wow your doing fab certainly going head on. Go you. I used to do the bootcamps but found the very early start not my cup of tea. Mind you if im lucky enuf to get through the rest if the process i may get used to many early mornings and late finishes. What was your pass grade. Mine was a high B.

I got a low/near mid B. Definitely wouldnt call it going head on lol I literally did no exercise barely at all minus hiking, runnin after my child or walking the dog lol so this has hit me like a tonne of bricks lol but needed something drastic to get me going. The first attempt at couch to 5k a few months ago ended very quickly but I think my AC pass might motivate me to stick at it more this time round. Thinking it will be a long time coming before I get to next stages and definitely until my call if I ever get one so will have plenty of time to practice lol

I got a low/near mid B. Definitely wouldnt call it going head on lol I literally did no exercise barely at all minus hiking, runnin after my child or walking the dog lol so this has hit me like a tonne of bricks lol but needed something drastic to get me going. The first attempt at couch to 5k a few months ago ended very quickly but I think my AC pass might motivate me to stick at it more this time round. Thinking it will be a long time coming before I get to next stages and definitely until my call if I ever get one so will have plenty of time to practice lol

Im the same.... Im far from athletic / sporty lol but getting into the way of gym work has been fun! My current job involved alot of sitting around so i look forward to getting going in the evenings.

You will find that all the gym and training will help in the long run. BMI was a factor in the Medical that came up for me. I was able to appeal but still delayed things.

I think GV has a set time for gym etc. It will be good to have a bit of a head start tho. Well done on the training so far!! It will be worth it

MD4PSNI wrote: »

Im the same.... Im far from athletic / sporty lol but getting into the way of gym work has been fun! My current job involved alot of sitting around so i look forward to getting going in the evenings.

You will find that all the gym and training will help in the long run. BMI was a factor in the Medical that came up for me. I was able to appeal but still delayed things.

I think GV has a set time for gym etc. It will be good to have a bit of a head start tho. Well done on the training so far!! It will be worth it
    Have you been through this process already?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Peterh89

How long did the wait take between AC result and Merit list were issued last year?

I passed everything in 2013 application. I was then invited to an informal interview in Police HQ and due to a minor conviction in 2009 i was excluded from the process.

Its a long drawn out process... its so exhausting lol

• Advertisement

Peterh89 wrote: »
    How long did the wait take between AC result and Merit list were issued last year?

It wasn’t very long, I read the ML was issued in mid June. I think we’ll get ours next week.

MD4PSNI wrote: »

I passed everything in 2013 application. I was then invited to an informal interview in Police HQ and due to a minor conviction in 2009 i was excluded from the process.

Its a long drawn out process... its so exhausting lol

An informal interview with the vetting panel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Orbital1

Roughly 1 month

And is there a rough timescale from receiving your familiarisation date to the pca date? Like a week/month before or anything

E18 wrote: »
    And is there a rough timescale from receiving your familiarisation date to the pca date? Like a week/month before or anything

Within 4 weeks

YNWA27 wrote: »
    An informal interview with the vetting panel?

It was with the Inspector who looked after vetting. It was pretty much a chat and they asked me a few things. They then presented the case to the vetting panel and deemed me unsuitable at that time unfortunatley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 SAPY

So the psni have the merit list now wonder how long until we get the numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Down2Business

Did anyone else see the email and get prematurely carried away or was it just me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Greyhound79

Yeah, just heard the ping on the mobile too!! Another bit of waiting ahead!!

Got it too

• Advertisement

Yeah my eyes were darting all over it trying to find the number than actually calming down and reading it lol!
    Least its been handed over, another small step forward :)

Me too i was like yeah!!! Awhh no number!!lol
    So funny!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Shz93

Hi all! Just found this site recently and thrilled to have found it! So glad to see so many other people thinking the exact same things as me. High B score at AC, and waiting in panic through the rest of this process. Getting a bit ahead of myself, but does anyone know what the deal is, as in if you get to GV, following the 23 weeks do you then have to wait unknowingly for however long for appointment?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Imogenr1

Shz93 wrote: »
    Hi all! Just found this site recently and thrilled to have found it! So glad to see so many other people thinking the exact same things as me. High B score at AC, and waiting in panic through the rest of this process. Getting a bit ahead of myself, but does anyone know what the deal is, as in if you get to GV, following the 23 weeks do you then have to wait unknowingly for however long for appointment?
    When you start GV you’ll be informed quite quickly of where you’ll be stationed. Once you finish the 23 weeks training you can start almost the next day. There is no wait time. If you’re lucky you’ll have 2-3 days just depends if your section is on rota or not at the time you finish GV

Also got completely carried away seeing the email lol they definitely worded that subject title with intent to torture us! Ha! Looking back on last years thread it was about a month before they heard numbers :(

District allocation given at induction.

Station allocation towards end of training

Shz93 wrote: »
    Welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Shz93

Brilliant, thanks everyone! Now to get this training underway for PCA. Pitty no one runs a course on it, heard a few girls at AC talking about the one for it. Missing a gap in the market with it! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Peterh89

I had a friend that was successful in last years 1710 campaign, he was informed at the induction stage, of his station. but saying that he was moved just before graduation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Army654

Anyone able to give reasonable prediction for the medical?

I had a friend that was successful in last years 1710 campaign, he was informed at the induction stage, of his station. but saying that he was moved just before graduation.
    Are you given choices? Or just allocated.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭nickolatte94

Given up to four choices of district, but no choice of station.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Throwaway36

Army654 wrote: »

In terms of when it may be? You get a date upon passing your PCA.

All standards are on the join PSNI website if you want to schedule an eye/hearing test before hand!

All standards are on the join PSNI website if you want to schedule an eye/hearing test before hand!
    I got my eyes checked this week as i wear glasses just for driving but passed all the required standards requested thankfully. Hearing not an issue although can be selective when it comes to the kids!!lol

Given up to four choices of district, but no choice of station.
    Would they expect you to work in your home town?? Dont think i would like that to begin with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Army654

Yeah, well then more like how many weeks after the pca is the medical usually? Im having to get lasered by the end of june, Hoping this will be no where near the medical?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 cherryapple444

Yeah you get your district at induction but you don’t find out your station until near the end of training!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Nhs2018

Yeah, well then more like how many weeks after the pca is the medical usually? Im having to get lasered by the end of june, Hoping this will be no where near the medical?

Laser works immediately. Once you have it done your eyes will close in approx 40 mins after the drops wear off and then it’s better just to sleep with the goggles they give you. When you wake up you will see perfectly. Have to be careful for a few weeks not to knock them etc but I got scratched in the face by my 7m old when I had mine done and no issues! Had mine done over 5 years ago.

What grade did you get at AC?

I think fast track will all have medical in June

I got my eyes checked this week as i wear glasses just for driving but passed all the required standards requested thankfully. Hearing not an issue although can be selective when it comes to the kids!!lol

I heard of a guy recently who went to get his hearing tested only to be told he had substantial hearing loss and never knew. Specsavers check for free and takes about 30 minutes! One of the questions actually involved your ability to hear young children lol

Saying that, from what I gather the standards for PSNI is not that high. If I’m reading the requirements correctly you could suffer from moderate hearing loss and still be okay!

• Advertisement
Advertisement