Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2018 - Round 13 – Belgium

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭christy c

This might sound a bit strange but bear with me.

I never had an interest in Formula 1, or indeed any type of motorsport, until I played Motorsport Manager 3. It's an excellent management-sim game and it's really piqued my interest in the real thing. I watched the race today and really enjoyed it, but there was all sorts of technical jargon that I didn't understand. Can anyone point me toward a website or resource that would help open up the sport to me. I'm particularly interested in the rules around how cars are upgraded, etc.

Many thanks.

Im not sure which website would be best but you could post in the F1 general thread and most would be happy to answer your questions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,780 ✭✭✭Inviere

Christian has a short memory, there’s a string quartet out every time he and Red Bull take issue with Renault.

Dry track, head to head, Ferrari blew Mercedes away today. It should be clear to all now it’s the best car on the grid. As long as their gains are legal, which they have proved so far, more power to them. I still find it worth raising an eyebrow when I see how much they’ve gained in such a short amount of time. They’ve somehow gained years worth of progress, within a few months. Beast of a car.

I didn’t mind Hamilton’s “trick systems” comment that much, Ferrari have clearly found something that nobody else has, but what annoyed me was how reclusive and withdrawn he made himself in the cool down room. Salt is never a good look.

Halo yet again proving its worth this season, that was some flying ****show today at the beginning. Sky will have a field day with that footage for next years intro.

An utter waste of two hours though, the race was decided before the second lap even started.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,724 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

This might sound a bit strange but bear with me.

I never had an interest in Formula 1, or indeed any type of motorsport, until I played Motorsport Manager 3. It's an excellent management-sim game and it's really piqued my interest in the real thing. I watched the race today and really enjoyed it, but there was all sorts of technical jargon that I didn't understand. Can anyone point me toward a website or resource that would help open up the sport to me. I'm particularly interested in the rules around how cars are upgraded, etc.

Many thanks.

There's a section on the formula1 website which is a great starting point called inside F1
    https://www.formula1.com/en/championship/inside-f1.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Inviere wrote: »
    Christian has a short memory, there’s a string quartet out every time he and Red Bull take issue with Renault.

Dry track, head to head, Ferrari blew Mercedes away today. It should be clear to all now it’s the best car on the grid. As long as their gains are legal, which they have proved so far, more power to them. I still find it worth raising an eyebrow when I see how much they’ve gained in such a short amount of time. They’ve somehow gained years worth of progress, within a few months. Beast of a car.

I didn’t mind Hamilton’s “trick systems” comment that much, Ferrari have clearly found something that nobody else has, but what annoyed me was how reclusive and withdrawn he made himself in the cool down room. Salt is never a good look.

Ferrari have found something that others have yet to uncover. Toto seems to give the impression he knows what it might but but won't say.

Seb could be ~20 points clear if he hadn't messed up the last 2 races.

Mercedes are salty because they've had an engine advantage for the last few years and now it's clear they don't. The FIA have confirmed Ferrari's car is legal so the moans out of Mercedes are just sour grapes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Where is the next track one would fancy Mercedes over Ferrari?

Where is the next track one would fancy Mercedes over Ferrari?

I think Ferrari have a big advantage over Merc at power circuits and they are also well able for them at the linked of Singapore too.

Merc have tyre issues when it is not too. Merc now need rain to spice it up

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    I think Ferrari have a big advantage over Merc at power circuits and they are also well able for them at the linked of Singapore too.

Merc have tyre issues when it is not too. Merc now need rain to spice it up

Singapore is what I was thinking of and the implosion last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭Harika

https://mobile.twitter.com/HondaRacingF1/status/1033799900063051777

Seems to be the most exciting part of the race

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,277 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Just to make it interesting, had Force India been allowed to carry on with the points they acquired under Vijay they would be sitting on 77. One point ahead of Haas and in 5th place.

flazio wrote: »
    Just to make it interesting, had Force India been allowed to carry on with the points they acquired under Vijay they would be sitting on 77. One point ahead of Haas and in 5th place.

If they keep going like they did in Belgium they’ll catch Haas quickly in the remaining 8 races, but if baby Stroll as expected comes on board I don’t think so.

Even Martin Brundle admitted yesterday that without Daddy Stroll’s money it’s unlikely he would ever have gotten to F1.

Baku 2017 - fluke

Monza 2017 even bigger fluke.

If they keep going like they did in Belgium they’ll catch Haas quickly in the remaining 8 races, but if baby Stroll as expected comes on board I don’t think so.

Even Martin Brundle admitted yesterday that without Daddy Stroll’s money it’s unlikely he would ever have gotten to F1.

Baku 2017 - fluke

Stroll kept his car on the track in Baku when others couldn't. When supposedly better drivers are crashing and he doesnt it cannot be labelled a fluke.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Stroll kept his car on the track in Baku when others couldn't. When supposedly better drivers are crashing and he doesnt it cannot be labelled a fluke.

Hamilton didn't crash, his headrest worked loose, that was bad luck for him and i'm anything but a Hamilton supporter, had the headrest not worked loose it would have been a Merc 1-3.

I do find it interesting how you didn't comment on what Brundle said however.

Stroll is F3 Champ and that indicates that he has the talent to go into F1. Overall it might have been too early and a season GP2 might have been good for him, but to claim he doesn't have at least the foundation is wrong.

Harika wrote: »
    Stroll is F3 Champ and that indicates that he has the talent to go into F1. Overall it might have been too early and a season GP2 might have been good for him, but to claim he doesn't have at least the foundation is wrong.

Daddy Stroll most likely bought him the Williams seat thinking he was the next Max Verstappen as there is only just over 1 year between them in age, daddy said sure if Max is that good at 17, my boy can be just as good at 18.

Stroll is similar to Hamilton in attitude, you find it difficult to like him.

• Advertisement

Daddy Stroll most likely bought him the Williams seat thinking he was the next Max Verstappen as there is only just over 1 year between them in age, daddy said sure if Max is that good at 17, my boy can be just as good at 18.

Stroll is similar to Hamilton in attitude, you find it difficult to like him.

Yeah that is the dilemma of it. Will you wait too long and never make it to F1 or jump in too early and get burned?

Yeah that is the dilemma of it. Will you wait too long and never make it to F1 or jump in too early and get burned?

It paid off handsomely for Verstappen.

Not for Stroll though.

Can't see Stroll getting any higher than Force India or whatever they will be known as into the future especially with the current regulations.

Mercedes and Ferrari already have their own up and coming drivers.

Red Bull will probably recall an ex junior or even JEV for the TR seat.

Honda are improving but they are the engine many drivers want to avoid hence I believe this was a major factor in Ricciardo jumping ship.

Always good.

And for the fear of Honda. At the first races TR was not gaining as much as the other teams with the rule changes, but like in Spa they made big progress in qualifying.

TR (Q2)
    1:45.374 -> 1:43.844 +1.5sec

McLaren (Q2)
    1:45.090 -> 1:44.917 +0.2sec

Mercedes (Q3)
    1:42.553 -> 1:41.553 +1 sec

More here: https://www.racefans.net/2018/08/25/f1-reclaims-spa-record-from-porsche-919-hybrid-evo/

Predictions:
    Hamilton wins
    Kimi will challenge Vettel
    TR will suffer
    Angry Alonso rants

Not even one! Even Alonso disappointed me lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Hamilton did clarify his post race comments regarding the 'tricks' in the ferrari..

Can't remember it word for word but it was something like 'the tricks are just something special in your car that another car dosnt have, every car on the grid has some sort of tricks or special part. I did not mean it in any way that Ferrari are doing something illegal'

Said it in the post race press conference.

• Advertisement

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Hamilton did clarify his post race comments regarding the 'tricks' in the ferrari..

Can't remember it word for word but it was something like 'the tricks are just something special in your car that another car dosnt have, every car on the grid has some sort of tricks or special part. I did not mean it in any way that Ferrari are doing something illegal'

That's exactly how I interpreted what he said, when he said it. The Ferrari has very clearly found something that nobody else has, which is why his comments didn't bother me in the slightest.

Stroll is going to be destroyed when he moves beside Perez, it's going to be crunch time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Inviere wrote: »
    That's exactly how I interpreted what he said, when he said it. The Ferrari has very clearly found something that nobody else has, which is why his comments didn't bother me in the slightest.

Stroll is going to be destroyed when he moves beside Perez, it's going to be crunch time.
    I wonder if Daddy Stroll will be impressed when Perez, a middle of the road driver at best, manages to outclass his boy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Rossi IRL wrote: »

That was bs comment. He didn't want to say they were cheating outright but he wanted to allege. it's similar to claiming Kimi crashed into him intentionally in Silverstone and then pulling back. He is a sore looser, I guess all of them are but somehow he manages to be more annoying than most.

meeeeh wrote: »
    He is a sore looser

Yes he is. I still don't feel in this case he was alleging anything other than Ferrari have found something that others have yet to.

Baku 2017 - fluke

Can you elaborate on why you think Baku & Monza last year were flukes?

What makes Baku & Monza flukes ? Same incidents in Baku for everyone to negotiate through. Same weather conditions in Monza, he did a good job on those days. I think you are being unnecessarily critical of him because of his association's to his father's money and his generally unlikeable persona.

Prior to that he was also Italian F4 Champion & won the Toyota Racing Series so definitely has raw talent. I agree he would have been better off with a season in F2, would have helped massively in things like managing tyres. F3 use different supplier than GP3 & F2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Harcrid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,692 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Ok, I said earlier that I watched a few replays. The Frame by frame is amazing as it shows Alonso's front right wheel contact the halo instead of LeClerc's head. Unbelievable!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Advertisement