Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So what would you do ?

• 22-08-2018 4:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭

You walk into a fast food restaurant, order your food and take a seat and you notice a few seats away is an older gentleman with a young girl who is obviously under 18.

The chances of them being related would also be slim as girl would be non national with poor english.

Would you approach them to see was anything dodge going on or eat your big mac and just put it down to being paranoid ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

Mind your own business

She could be adopted,her mam or dad could be in the toilet

This kind of shiz makes dads like me paranoid to be out with my daughter's and people making ridiculous assumptions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭NOVA MCMXCIV

What would you do – if you walk into a fast food restaurant, order your food and take a seat and you notice a few seats away is an older lady with a young boy who is obviously under 18?

The chances of them being related would also be slim – as the boy would be non-national with poor English.

Would you approach them to see was anything dodge going on or eat your big mac and just put it down to being paranoid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

campo wrote: »
    You walk into a fast food restaurant, order your food and take a seat and you notice a few seats away is an older gentleman with a young girl who is obviously under 18.

The chances of them being related would also be slim as girl would be non national with poor english.

Would you approach them to see was anything dodge going on or eat your big mac and just put it down to being paranoid ?

Well us living in Sharia law Ireland that shouldn't be allowed !! A Man !! with an unrelated woman !! In PUBLIC !!

Flogging is all thats good for him :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

What would you do – if you walk into a fast food restaurant, order your food and take a seat and you notice a few seats away is an older lady with a young boy who is obviously under 18?

The chances of them being related would also be slim – as the boy would be non-national with poor English.

Would you approach them to see was anything dodge going on or eat your big mac and just put it down to being paranoid?

Again, mind your own business.

There's a million and one reasons they could be together.

Far too much paranoia in the world. Theres 7 billion people here and nearly all are just getting on with their lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Remember the story around writer and TV personality Will Self being stopped and questioned for walking with his 11yo son.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

While I agree with your point in principle I would presume that the rate of female predators vs male ones would be very low.

Far too much paranoia in the world. Theres 7 billion people here and nearly all are just getting on with their lives.
    I am in agreement! I was just making the point that all men are not savage beasts – and should not be constantly viewed with suspicion.

D3V!L wrote: »
    Well us living in Sharia law Ireland that shouldn't be allowed !! A Man !! with an unrelated woman !! In PUBLIC !!

Was not a woman

While I agree with your point in principle I would presume that the rate of female predators vs male ones would be very low.
    I don't know. A beast is a beast – and it has nothing to do with gender, that's just my opinion though...

I don't know. A beast is a beast – and it has nothing to do with gender, that's just my opinion though...

Of course but if you had to walk through a forest and you had a choice go left where there is two wolves or right where there is 500 which forest would you take ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Couldn't possibly be any innocent explanations for this no?

Can't have been a neighbour bringing the girl to see her mother in hospital and stopping for a bite on the way?
    Kindly gentleman bringing a homeless girl for a burger?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭megaten

You First, what would you do?

I could come up with at best 2 plausible reasons

Foreign exchange student being treated to a meal by the house dad
    Daughter from a previous relationship but has not seen her in years as she lived in a foreign country

To add they were sharing a meal which I also found very odd and they left together.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭AustinLostin

What would you do if you son was at home cryin all alone on the bedroom floor cos he's hungry and the only way to feed him is to sleep with a man for a little bit money and his daddies gone away smokin' rock now, in and out of lock down. I ain't gotta job now, so for you this is just a good time but for me this is what I call life.

megaten wrote: »
    You First, what would you do?

In all honesty mind my own business but sometimes when you get a feeling in your gut that something is not right I would have wished I said something and when I did not I would create a thread on boards to make me feel better/worse about it.

Of course but if you had to walk through a forest and you had a choice go left where there is two wolves or right where there is 500 which forest would you take ?
    I'd probably just turn back the way I came!

I'd probably just turn back the way I came!

This is the perfect answer, just don't be getting yourself in the situation where wolves are about.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

If you're going to pretend like you're taking a probability based approach to this, as you have with the comment above, then you should be minding your own business about the situation you described in your OP as the probability of it being nefarious is extremely low.

People are generally terrible at assessing risk and probability. Maybe men are 10 times more likely to be predators than women, but realistically that's changing the risk in any given situation from like 0.001% with a woman to 0.01% with a man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Seeing an adult in the company of or presence of a kid is not and not within a country mile of grounds to infer that there is grooming or abuse happening. For you to make such an inference or insinuation known to that adult is insulting and wrong and with a bit of luck you'll get a smack in the teeth.

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    Seeing an adult in the company of or presence of a kid is not and not within a country mile of grounds to infer that there is grooming or abuse happening. For you to make such an inference or insinuation known to that adult is insulting and wrong and with a bit of luck you'll get a smack in the teeth.

1980s rung they want their attitude back.

• Advertisement

1980s rung they want their attitude back.

If you look at an older man having a meal with a young girl and your first thought is abuse, then you're seriously f*cked up.
    I could come up with at best 2 plausible reasons

Foreign exchange student being treated to a meal by the house dad
    Daughter from a previous relationship but has not seen her in years as she lived in a foreign country

To add they were sharing a meal which I also found very odd and they left together.

I'm in my early 30s. I brought my 13 year old cousin to the cinema last week. Would you have had words with me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

That just shows your own paranoia

If you look at an older man having a meal with a young girl and your first thought is abuse, then you're seriously f*cked up.

I'm in my early 30s. I brought my 13 year old cousin to the cinema last week. Would you have had words with me?

Older man sharing a meal with a girl who spoke barely no english you can't tell me you would not find that the least bit suspicious or odd

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Lando Griffins OTHER HALF

Older man sharing a meal with a girl who spoke barely no english you can't tell me you would not find that the least bit suspicious or odd

Jaysus, if it was suspicious I doubt he'd be knocking back big macs in mcdonalds with her! Hey everyone look at me bring on the witnesses!

It would be unusual, but not a chance would I assume something was so wrong that id approach them.

That said, I refuse to accept the culture of fear that's constantly perpetuated by some people.

It would be unusual, but not a chance would I assume something was so wrong that id approach them.

That said, I refuse to accept the culture of fear that's constantly perpetuated by some people.

And neither did I, this is why I started the thread to see would others approach as many said it was in all likely hood very innocent and nothing to worry about but as a father if it was my daughter out with a man (even if it was innocent) I probably would be glad if I heard some busy body asked some questions as maybe next time it would not be innocent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

You also have no idea what age she actually is,many foreign nationals look younger or older than they are.

Again this idea that there must be something wrong is what's causing the ridiculous world we live in where kids can't play on the street and must have play dates or people not vaccinating their kids out of fear or autism or some other crap,measles is back because of these idiots

sexmag wrote: »
    You also have no idea what age she actually is,many foreign nationals look younger or older than they are.

Again this idea that there must be something wrong is what's causing the ridiculous world we live in where kids can't play on the street and must have play dates or people not vaccinating their kids out of fear or autism or some other crap,measles is back because of these idiots

I get some foreign people look younger but it was pretty obvious that she was under 16, there has to be a balance as yes i agree people can't be jumping to conclusions but not so long ago people trusted priest, coaches and countless others and would never have battered an eye lid where as now a level of safety must be considered when it comes to children and who they are with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

Have to agree with alot of what's already been said but was only discussing with gf the other day that if I came across a distressed child on their own I would be so weary of trying to help that kid but I think that's disgraceful how it's gotten rather than just helping a kid out it's more likely people will think badly of a man approaching a child in such an instance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

D3V!L wrote: »

First offence, probably get away with crucifixion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I'd walk over to him and tell him what he is.

Advertisement