Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plans for 1200 properties in Mulhuddart

Options
  • 22-08-2018 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭

I read this the other day. Whats the opinion out there ? There going to build 1200 apts /houses near IBM. Looks like most if not all social. Will this be a new getto ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I read this the other day. Whats the opinion out there ? There going to build 1200 apts /houses near IBM. Looks like most if not all social. Will this be a new getto ?

Is this what you mean?

http://www.thejournal.ie/damastown-village-plan-3761234-Dec2017/

I hadn't heard any more about this since then. I didn't think it went any further than the People Before Profit releasing plans for the site (hand drawn plans if I remember correctly)

Has it resurfaced?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

It has was in either times or indo. Planning this oct

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

Badly needed. Most of it should be social housing and no it won't be a new ghetto. Can't wait to see building started.

It has was in either times or indo. Planning this oct

Here’s the Indo link

https://m.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/1200-more-homes-as-dublin-steps-up-social-housing-push-37229328.html

Seems it’s still at the design stage with the planing app in October being only for the road to access the site.

Also says ‘funding proposals still being examined’ so still a way off I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Where is Church Fields exactly ?

• Advertisement

It's the land to the left as you're driving down the Damastown Link Road coming from Cruiserath Road.

LorelaiG wrote: »

Those drawings made me laugh at the time. It was 2017 and it looked like they drawn by an architect on a drawing board using a T-square and a few pencils.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Gotta love them guys...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Badly needed. Most of it should be social housing and no it won't be a new ghetto. Can't wait to see building started.

Hopefully it won't be a ghetto, but plonking a thousand social houses together on the edge of the city has never worked out well before.

• Advertisement

It will be a mix of social, affordable and private housing. Not just social housing.

Why would it not be? Most social housing generally people who dont work / dont.dont want to work. What could go.wrong

It will be a mix of social, affordable and private housing. Not just social housing.

I was more responding to your "most of it should be social housing" comment. If that happens, it's doomed from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Why would it not be? Most social housing generally people who dont work / dont.dont want to work. What could go.wrong

Is there enough rolls eyes in the world ?

listermint wrote: »

Is there enough rolls eyes in the world ?

That wasnt even funny ten years ago ..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Don't forget about the people that work in that area. There's daily joyriding, stolen cars and frequent street racing. Some people are afraid to walk home/cycle from work at night. More social housing isn't going to make the area any better than it is.

Oh I think it was .

I grew up in a council estate. Both my parents worked. All our neighbors worked.

My cousin's all grew up on council estates all of them work all of their parents work.

I don't have a single friend that didn't go to college and isn't paying the highest rate of tax in this country.

So pray tell mr knowledge and all seeing eye how is it you come to know people in council estates majority of them don't work.

I'm really really interested in your opinion on this subject you seem to know so much about

Oh I think it was .

I grew up in a council estate. Both my parents worked. All our neighbors worked.

My cousin's all grew up on council estates all of them work all of their parents work.

I don't have a single friend that didn't go to college and isn't paying the highest rate of tax in this country.

So pray tell mr knowledge and all seeing eye how is it you come to know people in council estates majority of them don't work.

I'm really really interested in your opinion on this subject you seem to know so much about

Fake news

Thanks, proved my point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Oh I think it was .

Most of us working full time are paying the higher rate of tax in order to subsidize this nonsense. Mulhuddart is 30 mins from O’Connell Street. It is prime land. And it is being set aside for social and affordable housing. Those of us trying to earn and pay our way without government support are being forced to buy and live in Westmeath and Longford with a daily commute to Dublin in order to keep a roof over our head. The paye worker is being **** on to pay for this nonsense. Eventually those with the right attitude will switch to the wrong attitude. And why not? You’re handed everything for very little in return

• Advertisement

Oh I think it was .

I hope this is all true because it would show that social housing can work when done right.

Building hundreds upon hundreds of social houses in one place, in an area that is already one of the most disadvantaged in the state, is not doing it right.

Besides, if both your parents worked, then you wouldn't qualify for a social house now.

I hope this is all true because it would show that social housing can work when done right.

Building hundreds upon hundreds of social houses in one place, in an area that is already one of the most disadvantaged in the state, is not doing it right.

Besides, if both your parents worked, then you wouldn't qualify for a social house now.

Eh yeah you would once your income is under a certain amount.

Oh I think it was .

It was a nonsence statement . Someone knows people who have lived for generations in social housing and some of them work. Its obvious if you put a large number of under educated people with no interest in working in the one area there will be social issues.

The last couple posts on this are a clear demonstration of poor schooling and possibly a lack of education growing up. It's that type of sneery nonsense that I get most joy from because it's usually from the types of people that are vehemently against social assistance in any country.

You don't have to be unemployed for social housing you have to be earning below a certain threshold. Social housing has provided somewhere to live for hundreds of thousands of Irish people since the 40s . The majority of whom were working and raring families and adding to the economy.

The fact that there are those that question facts such as that goes to show they didn't listen in school possibly don't have third level education and are generally all round uneducated of the country they reside in.

I revel in pointing out your stupidity.

The last couple posts on this are a clear demonstration of poor schooling and possibly a lack of education growing up. It's that type of sneery nonsense that I get most joy from because it's usually from the types of people that are vehemently against social assistance in any country.

You don't have to be unemployed for social housing you have to be earning below a certain threshold. Social housing has provided somewhere to live for hundreds of thousands of Irish people since the 40s . The majority of whom were working and raring families and adding to the economy.

The fact that there are those that question facts such as that goes to show they didn't listen in school possibly don't have third level education and are generally all round uneducated of the country they reside in.

I revel in pointing out your stupidity.

You started off nicely but shame about the ending. You are what you describe.

I refuse to believe anyone can get to third level education and believe that people in social housing don't work.

Because this is what you are saying
    You

Not anyone else

Tell us more details of your knowledge on this matter.

Own what you say , don't just say stuff without conviction Sir.

I refuse to believe anyone can get to third level education and believe that people in social housing don't work.

Because this is what you are saying
    You

Not anyone else

Tell us more details of your knowledge on this matter.

Wheres the stats to prove otherwise. Sure some work. But a large part dont. Issue is putting social housing all together has proven to not work.

Wheres the stats to prove otherwise. Sure some work. But a large part dont. Issue is putting social housing all together has proven to not work.

Your a waffler . Let's call it what it is.

You've a class problem. You come on boards espousing virtues of segregation in society. You don't believe in giving those below you a leg up. You want to keep all tax money for what yourself ?

Thankfully the nation we stand in was founded on different fundamentals. Theres a reason right wing governments don't do well here because the majority of Irish people don't think like you.

People in social housing work like My own parents worked their arse off in social housing and provided myself and my siblings with everything we needed. They then went on to buy their own home as did all their kids.

Many of my friends the same.

So its incumbent on me to point out edgits that pop on to the internet talking crap with zero proof just a handful of daily mail style horsesh*te.

Belongs in the journal comments section

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

These arguments were spouted when they started building Avondale, Parnell and the new houses by Wellview. I've lived in the area before those estates were built and if anything it's quieter now. The area in question is an eyesore going to waste, let's use it for housing.

• Advertisement

The report in the Info doesn't say much apart from 1,200 houses. Is there going to be anything else does anyone know, e.g. schools, shops, playing fields etc? What's the plan for traffic, public transport etc? This is the kind of stuff I'm interested in as opposed to the type of people living there.

Advertisement