Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plans for 1200 properties in Mulhuddart

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

This is getting emotional and personal for some people.

Look, no one is saying we shouldn't build social housing. No one is saying social housing doesn't work.

What we shouldn't do and what doesn't work is building massive amounts of social houses in one location. If that location is already a deprivation black spot, like Mulhuddart, then it's doubly stupid.

If these plans do materialise and it's a good mix of social, affordable and private houses, then great. The concern is that it would be mostly/all social and that would be an absolute timebomb.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I wouldn't call Mulhuddart a deprevation blackspot.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Look, no one is saying we shouldn't build social housing. No one is saying social housing doesn't work.

What we shouldn't do and what doesn't work is building massive amounts of social houses in one location. If that location is already a deprivation black spot, like Mulhuddart, then it's doubly stupid.

If these plans do materialise and it's a good mix of social, affordable and private houses, then great. The concern is that it would be mostly/all social and that would be an absolute timebomb.

Because people in social housing don't work.

Obviously.

It gets personal certainly when people have first hand experience of the subject and it counters everything that is written.

So yeah I suppose I will take offense to nonsense. Because my experience with social housing since the 80s differs.

No one is pretending under resourced areas don't have problems of course they have. But saying people don't work and that it's a free house. Well it's not factual. And does nothing for the debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

listermint wrote: »
    Because people in social housing don't work.

Obviously.

It gets personal certainly when people have first hand experience of the subject and it counters everything that is written.

So yeah I suppose I will take offense to nonsense. Because my experience with social housing since the 80s differs.

No one is pretending under resourced areas don't have problems of course they have. But saying people don't work and that it's a free house. Well it's not factual. And does nothing for the debate.

I think you replied to the wrong post??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Correct. No issues with social housing but not for those who think its a generational right for all that come after. I would also say putting all or a majority of social housing together is not good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Correct. No issues with social housing but not for those who think its a generational right for all that come after. I would also say putting all or a majority of social housing together is not good.

How and ever, to play the other side for a moment, when you propose putting social housing into private estates the people buying the houses there and living nearby tend to go nuts. Nothing will motivate the denizens of some newly built estate to get to know their neighbors quite like organizing an objection to major social housing going in nearby (travelers moving in nearby is another great motivator).

So, while I tend to agree that you can build major trouble spots depending on the makeup of individuals in a particular social housing area (lots of teenagers vs young families, for example; and a lot of issues in the past were caused by who was moved from the city center and put next door to their great enemies from two streets away etc) I think you have an equally difficult time convincing people who've just shelled out 300k for a new house to be accepting of social housing going in.

Indeed, ask an estate agent hawking new builds and one of the major questions they'll be asked will be about plans for same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

I've been living in Mulhuddart for a few years now, the new development looks huge. I'm honestly worried about the amount of social housing being built in the area at the moment and what this area will become when people start to move in. Roads are few and not wide, 38a is the only bus doing this route. Let alone the social issues that may arise...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

So these houses would be for people who are on the social housing list for Fingal?

Advertisement