Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling Eir

Options
  • 22-08-2018 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,564 ✭✭✭✭

I moved house recently and phoned Eir to cancel, this was around the start of July. I had not been aware that it is necessary (unlike all other services) to give 30 days notice. I was asked to give my account number, but it turned out to be out of date - you apparently gave me a new account number when I went on to fibre. I only had an old paper bill to hand. Since all recent bills were online and I did not have any internet (you could not provide in my new address) I had to wait until I could get internet to give you the new number. 

I eventually managed to cancel my Eir account on 23rd July and I was told (again) it would take 30 days to cancel. This, I understood, would mean the service should cease on approx today. 

Yesterday I (finally) received a confirmation of cancellation saying that the cancellation would take effect 30 days from yesterday. I had been told I would get this confirmation with instructions for returning the modem, but not that you would wait a month before issuing this confirmation, why did it take a month?

Today I got a bill with charges for everything except calls - there have been no calls, the house has been empty. That should be the end of it. But now it appears that I will have another bill in September for another 30 days of 'use'. 

My cancellation should have been effective from 23rd July, closing on approx 22nd August. Why are you stretching this out to another month?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭eir: Sarah

Hi looksee,

Thanks for getting in touch. If you could PM me with your account details I would be more than happy to look into this for you.

Thanks,

Sarah

• Registered Users Posts: 28,564 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I pm'ed my account details last week, and subsequently copies of correspondence with you (24th) but still have not had a response. I have repeated the email to to you again today. I have also now got a letter advising me to return my modem and saying cancellation is from 23rd August, it should be from July as you will see from the confirmation email (copied to you) I received in July.

So today I got a bill for service up to 18th September, no calls, just bundle/rental. My previous bill paid in full. I do not owe you any more rental fees, I cancelled in July, effective August and I have an email to that effect. I am cancelling my direct debit for that account. I will return the modem - letter received today - you delayed sending out the modem letter.

Incidentally, on that account, which says it is no longer active, I am advised to ring 1901 with queries. I tried this but it would not accept either the phone number or account number, so how am I supposed to contact you?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭chinwag

How does a customer contact cancellation section? I spent most of the afternoon using 1901 trying to get through to eir to discuss my expiring contract. Eventually, after a short discussion, the agent said he was transferring me to cancellation but, again, no success. Email not working and chat (which I don't really like) is down too. Time is ticking away and unable to discuss likely cancellation.

Hi, as you are not communicating with me, and I am unable to contact you by phone as you are not recognising either my phone number or my account number (you say the account is no longer active), I have cancelled my direct debit for the final (by your reckoning) bill. By my reckoning I have already paid all that I owe you since my cancellation in July.

After being an Eir (and previous identities) customer for over 40 years with no major hassles I think it is a great pity that you should deal with this cancellation - which would probably be reinstated in about 12 months time - in such a careless and petty manner. The cancellation is only because you cannot provide a service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Tigger007

Can I pm you as well

eir: Sarah wrote: »
    Hi looksee,

Thanks for getting in touch. If you could PM me with your account details I would be more than happy to look into this for you.

Thanks,

Sarah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

chinwag wrote: »
    How does a customer contact cancellation section? I spent most of the afternoon using 1901 trying to get through to eir to discuss my expiring contract. Eventually, after a short discussion, the agent said he was transferring me to cancellation but, again, no success. Email not working and chat (which I don't really like) is down too. Time is ticking away and unable to discuss likely cancellation.
    Hi chinwag, 

The cancellation team are on 1901 option 5. They will be able to assist you there. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

looksee wrote: »
    Hi, as you are not communicating with me, and I am unable to contact you by phone as you are not recognising either my phone number or my account number (you say the account is no longer active), I have cancelled my direct debit for the final (by your reckoning) bill. By my reckoning I have already paid all that I owe you since my cancellation in July.

After being an Eir (and previous identities) customer for over 40 years with no major hassles I think it is a great pity that you should deal with this cancellation - which would probably be reinstated in about 12 months time - in such a careless and petty manner. The cancellation is only because you cannot provide a service.
    Hi locksee, 

I'm sorry to hear this. Sarah has your details in PM's so we will have a look into this and come back to you soon. 

Thanks 

Tracey

Tigger007 wrote: »
    Can I pm you as well  

eir: Sarah wrote: »
    Hi looksee,

Thanks,

Sarah
    Hi Tigger007, 

Feel free to PM me your account number, full name on the account, email address and date of birth and I'll have a look into your issue for you. 

Thanks

Tracey  

Just bringing this to the top of the list again as Eir are now complaining that my direct debit has not gone through!

• Advertisement

I have tried again to contact Eir, as instructed, by dialling 1901. The system will not accept my call because neither my phone number nor account number are recognised, YOU do not recognise them in a system YOU are telling me to use.

This is YOUR system. I can do no more. If I had left the dd live you would have taken a payment to which you are not entitled. 

I would like acknowledgement from you that I do not owe any further money. 

I have tried again to contact Eir, as instructed, by dialling 1901. The system will not accept my call because neither my phone number nor account number are recognised, YOU do not recognise them in a system YOU are telling me to use.

This is YOUR system. I can do no more. If I had left the dd live you would have taken a payment to which you are not entitled. 

I would like acknowledgement from you that I do not owe any further money. 
    I've looked into this for you and can confirm no money is owed on the account. I have waived the outstanding balance for you. 

Apologies for the delays and inconvenience caused. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭pmce4

Thank you.
    let us know when you receive the debt collection agency letter !!!!!!!!!!!

It would not surprise me, I was on to Eir chat, and the conclusion there was that I could pay or not as I pleased but my final bill would be in credit. He then left the chat abruptly. Since this was the first I had heard of a 'final bill' and was under the impression I was paid up, I didn't find it all that helpful. I am not much interested in Eir's convoluted accounting system or of putting myself unnecessarily in credit when they are giving me different closing dates.

Thank you.
    No problem at all.

If you have any further issues please don't hesitate in coming back to me. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

I have now received a final account in credit by €47.45. 

The address given is now (my name) now spelled incorrectly, and the address of TELEPHONE HOUSE MARLBOROUGH STREET DUBLIN 1. The letter instructs me to contact 1901 with queries, but it has already been established that this number only works with current account and phone numbers. Mine are now cancelled so I cannot do this.

Can I ask how I receive the refund due?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭d9oiu2wk07blr5

Bring up the letter from Eir about cancellation & being in credit to your bank and do a charge-back.  Cancel DD's with bank too & put it in writing.

No, I haven't been overcharged because I stopped the dd before they had chance to take it, and there is an acceptance on this thread that I do not owe them anything. What I am trying to find out now is how they propose to repay my €47 since they do not have my address or my bank info.

I have now received a final account in credit by €47.45. 

The address given is now (my name) now spelled incorrectly, and the address of TELEPHONE HOUSE MARLBOROUGH STREET DUBLIN 1. The letter instructs me to contact 1901 with queries, but it has already been established that this number only works with current account and phone numbers. Mine are now cancelled so I cannot do this.

Can I ask how I receive the refund due?
    Hi looksee, 

I've checked this for you and there is no credit owed to you I'm afraid. The balance is cleared, you have paid your bills up until the cancellation due date in July, the last bill paid by yourself was in August. 

The billing address was changed so that the account could be waived and wrote off. No further bill's or correspondence should be sent out in relation to this. 

Thanks

Tracey 

• Advertisement

Our records show that your account is in arrears. Please pay immediately as service may be withdrawn without further notice. Final bill Previous bill charges Total of your last bill 78.28 Amount outstanding 78.28 Total charges for this period -47.45 Charge query credit -78.28 Your account is in credit by € 47.45 CR All charges on your bill are VAT inclusive Please note if you don’t pay the amount due by the payment date your service may be withdrawn.

The above is the c/p from the final bill. 

Our records show that your account is in arrears. Please pay immediately as service may be withdrawn without further notice. Final bill Previous bill charges Total of your last bill 78.28 Amount outstanding 78.28 Total charges for this period -47.45 Charge query credit -78.28 Your account is in credit by € 47.45 CR All charges on your bill are VAT inclusive Please note if you don’t pay the amount due by the payment date your service may be withdrawn.

The above is the c/p from the final bill. 
    I understand your confusion here. You paid us your last bill in August, this was for service up until the end of July so no credit would be due I'm afraid.  

The balance has been cleared since the final bill was issued and is set at €0.

Thanks 

Tracey 

Look, this account/bill/email was received in the past couple of days. It said it is the final bill. This is information that you are giving me. I am not psychic, how am I supposed to know that this document is a lie/phantom/never happened. 

In the event I am not bothered about the supposed €47, I am just pointing out that your system is a mess.

Look, this account/bill/email was received in the past couple of days. It said it is the final bill. This is information that you are giving me. I am not psychic, how am I supposed to know that this document is a lie/phantom/never happened. 

In the event I am not bothered about the supposed €47, I am just pointing out that your system is a mess.
    No problem, thanks for letting us know. 

Apologies for the confusion. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

Advertisement