Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freshpopcorn

Options
  • 22-08-2018 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭

I don't expect a lot of support for this one, but I for one have had enough.

I haven't been on Boards much lately but decided I'd browse around tonight and stumbled across this thread in AH

A 14 year old thread that was bumped by Freshpopcorn with a news dump in his latest attempt to be funny (following the debacle that was "AH day" and the similarly bait and switch "Sorry the site was down" thread)

If the guy really needs the attention then that's fair enough I suppose.. but abusing his mod status as he is in the process through breaking forum/site rules that the rest of us are expected to adhere to doesn't sit well with me.

Then, after I and others call out our objections, he locks the thread with what I can only read as blatant trolling:
    Thanks for the continued support of After Hours and Boards.ie
    Ye now know the latest update at Emma O'Driscoll.
    PS: Somebody started an AMA thread for me feel free to post in it!

As we all know, there have been multiple VERY long threads about moderation standards on this site recently, and there has indeed been a lot of improvements since then IMO.. but this guy is undoing a lot of that I think, and I'm at a loss as to why it's being tolerated.

As I said, I don't expect much from this, but enough is enough!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

If I could thank it I would. Both News Dumping, and Zombie Thread Bumping were evident in the Six Thread last night, both frowned apon, and both from a mod. Weather he has been given free reign from the admin/CMods on this, and other similar threads, such as the announment thread, AHs day thread, etc etc. or doing his own thing, I dont know. But its becoming both slighlty annoying, and boring.

Any regular member would be accused of flamming, trolling, being a dick, and probably infracted. I dont know if my report was acted on last night, or if it got any other reports, but surely if we all have to play by the rules, then mods should as well, and set an example. Odd bit of attention seeking, yeah, we all probably do it, but this is taking abuse of the system, and taking the p!ss.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I've left one response unapproved as it is not constructive in any way

Firstly _Kaiser_ thanks for raising this here rather than in Feedback. This forum is the one that deals with this type of issue/concern

I'm going to alert the AH mods to this thread in case they have not seen it.

On the specifics of bumping old threads I don't think there is a specific rule against it within the AH charter, but I do fully acknowledge it's generally frowned upon across the site

I also note the mod in question does start a lot of threads in AH, and that is something they did prior to becoming a mod. As is often the case some threads get a lot of traction and stimulate discussion. Others may quickly fall off the front page

I recognise that mods should try and set examples certainly in the forums they moderate and I hope the AH mods (and indeed Mods from across the site) will take that comment on board. This site is not supposed to be a way of raising your profile amongst users, it's more about having constructive and often in the case of AH entertaining discussion. I think the mod in question does try to stimulate such discussion, but perhaps it does come across negatively to some posters

I would just add that if posters do have an issue with specific moderators, please try and have a discussion with them, or perhaps their co-mods or CMods first

• Registered Users Posts: 30,553 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Thanks for letting me know about your issue.
    I have always moderated here to the best of my ability. I try and be balanced and fair and not over the top with giving out warnings/etc.
    My posting style hasn't really changed drastically since I became a mod. I have the odd jokey thread and serious thread and the same with my replies.

I think Freshpopcorn is being given a bit of a hard time here. The announcement thread was silly and lighthearted. From that a poster created an AMA thread for popcorn. Again just a bit of craic. I don't get that he isn't leading by example. A thread was bumped by a mod and suddenly the pitchforks are out? Yes much is made regarding users following the charter but users don't always get it right and neither do mods. I like to think there is a bit of space for this when it comes to an otherwise decent poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I actually find his stuff fine although I don't go out of my way to read what he's currently up to. Kaiser has been on boards long enough like me to remember times when the place felt a bit more silly/chaotic and had a community feel. I thought the big announcement thread was exactly how the place used to be. Everyone chiming in with thoughts and having a laugh (at least the parts I skimmed through(. I find Freshpopcorn to be a bit of a blow back to different times.

Given some of the trash that gets posted by serial thread starters in AH is his really that offensive/annoying?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Morning all,

Thanks for the feedback so far. Unfortunately this new job of mine doesn't give me much opportunity to post during the day but I appreciate people's comments :)

What I will say though is that based on other posts in the three threads I've referenced (there may be more but I haven't been on much lately for the above reason) it seems that I'm not the only one to take issue with this.

I'll also say that as the user base has changed so too has AH evolved into more of a catch all main page for the site, encompassing far more than just random banter. People saying "but that's not what AH is" just isn't reflective of the current reality on the forum and is about as relevant as references to hamsters, Atari Jaguar, Yore Ma or that facekicker guy (who I must have missed first time around)

I've no problem with lighthearted threads and posters. Life is serious enough and it's good to relax.. But the bait and switch posting of the big announcement/AH day and sorry the site was down/I spilled Coke on the server threads that were created by a forum mod deliberately to draw people in so as to allow them to "be funny" just strikes me as abusing the role and "look at me, aren't I funny" attention seeking, made worse by the "I'm the dopey mod" persona and "if you don't like it feck off" responses that are just insulting the users IMO

Have to go get on the road but will check back later

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

One more point I'll throw in for now is the comment from another AH Mod (Nixon) on the end of the Site Down thread complaining about my comments and my "negativity". (can't easily link as on mobile)

This just strikes me as yet more forum mod inappropriateness and comes across as circling the wagons against criticism - something also called out many times on the feedback threads.

If AH's mods just want a love in when they post that's fine I guess, but attacking posters is a bit much, no? I'm not particularly bothered what he thinks of me (I may not be overly impressed with him as a mod either) but that's not the point - it's how people conduct themselves and represent the forum/site as mods that's the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Well I'd prefer the nonsense threads than the constant stream of "let's make pointless and insulting threads about anyone who I perceive is different to me and therefore a scourge on society" type-threads that seem to characterise AH these days. Those threads are miles more trollish and much more deserving or ire than someone trying to bring a sense of levity to the forum.

The big announcement thread was meant to have being a bit of a joke. Some people took it a little more seriously than others but I did explain a few posts in that some people weren't going to like the announcement.
    I would have made the announcement better or tried to be a little more creative but I got hounded for what it was and when it was happening by a few people. So it all got rushed in the end.
    I then closed the annocuement thread and oppend the AH day thread because I was trying to stick to my commitment. It was up to people what they wanted to do with the day. That thread was closed after 24 once the day was over.
    Coke on the server thread was a joke. I started it because I knew certain people were out for blood because the site was down for so long and a few people were annoyed at me and I said to myself. I might as well let them blame me for this as well and not be hassling other people.
    Yes my moderator status allowed me to do this but I was able to pretend to be on the inside which I wouldn't have being able to do before.
    But I'd never use my moderator status to be racist or abusive.
    I've had always had similar light hearted and more serious threads in the past.
    I do consider myself sort of the dopey mod for several reasons. All the the other mods seem highly intelligent and a lot better educated than myself and have way better spelling and grammar. The reason why I did posted this in the previous threads was several people had issues with my spelling and grammar and my attitude is I am the way I am with it now.
    I am also a firm believer if a thread isn't for you. You simply leave it. If you reply to me tough I always reply back to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

Nobody has accused you of being racist or abusive? :confused:

I do think people are tired of your constant messing with thread titles, as well as attention-seeking stunts like "AH Day" and "I spilled Coke on the server." When you do things like bump 14-year-old threads, which would draw a mod warning for a regular poster, you also create the impression of double standards -- "rules for thee but not for me."

Imagine other posters started copying your antics. They see you getting away with it, so they feel entitled to get away with it too. Consider the problems that would create for your fellow mods, as well as Cmods and Admins.

AH should be fun and lighthearted, yes. But deliberately and repeatedly engaging in behavior that is known to annoy and frustrate other posters is a form of trolling. Doing this in a forum you mod really shouldn't be on.

I'd say there's a consensus that you can have some fun occasionally, but you really need to dial it back, and be more self-conscious about the impact you're having.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I'll just say thanks for your honesty Popcorn. That took a bit of guts.

I said I would never post racist/etc stuff just to show I stood where I was being a mod.
    I am not the only person who keeps on changing thread tittles.
    I haven't touched other people's thread tittles in ages from what I remember.
    Mods don't always go out giving out warning/bans straight away.
    There was only meant to have being one thread and it got out of hand as I explained.
    The coke on the server thread sort of just happened as I explained. (I saw the anger on Twitter/facebook about the site being down) and I said let people blame me and not go hassling others.
    In the After Hours day thread. I had people going through my old threads trying to show me up for my threads long before I became a mod. So, I've always had daft threads along wit serious ones.
    The thanks button/etc doesn't really bother me.
    I can't really say much to _Kaiser_ really.
    I will continue to moderate as I see fit and create threads.
    Take for instance there isn't going to be another announcement anytime soon. After Hours Day 2019 might happen if there's demand.
    All I ever do is try and add to this site and sometimes threads go down well and others don't and it's the same with my posts.

If you got called a name I apolgise for it and either by myself or not acting on it.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OK, points have been made. Thanks to freshpopcorn coming here to respond. I think you can assume the local mods are now aware of the points raised, but equally explanations have been provided for certain of those points.

I'm closing this thread now. We had a long-running feedback thread in AH when many posters raised concerns, and I don't want this thread to become a re-run of some of that

Thanks to everyone who contributed, but I'm closing this now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement