Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How would you feel about Dublin having a native minority population?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭vetinari

the ironic thing is that there seems to be very few "true dubs" in Dublin.
    My wife is from Dublin and her parents are from Longford and Mayo.
    This she says was common enough, most Dubs in her class at school had at least one parent from the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

My next door neighbour s to left me Spanish to right Indian next to them African. Around the corner more Indians African Eastern Europeans etc. Quick walk down to shopping centre on your way you will see numerous more of the above including a big number of black teenagers who hang around the area and surrounding areas.

When i used to bring my son to play school the secondary school next door would have big groups of black kids coming and going all living in the area.

I'm in the city centre all the time South Americans everywhere Asians the same as well as Africans and plenty of Europeans as well and an awful lot these ain't tourists you can tell.

There's no point pretending this isn't true and it's only getting worse over time.

I don't want Ireland to go the same way the UK did is that such a big deal? I hate feeling like a tourist in my own city walking into shops restaurants or pubs and so many of the staff or people there have broken English.

Ya its great having a bit of multiculturalism but gets to a point where start to think where is this gonna end?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

It's such a stupid question. The chances of Dubliners being outnumbered by non Irish will never happen. It seems like it's just asked to stoke feelings and get racist responses.

It is already the case sure. The Vikings and the Normans killed off the Celts so the natives have been outnumbered in Ireland for a long long time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

I'm in the city centre all the time South Americans everywhere

But someones gotta drive the rickshaws and sell baking soda to the tourists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

My next door neighbour s to left me Spanish to right Indian next to them African. Around the corner more Indians African Eastern Europeans etc. Quick walk down to shopping centre on your way you will see numerous more of the above including a big number of black teenagers who hang around the area and surrounding areas.

When i used to bring my son to play school the secondary school next door would have big groups of black kids coming and going all living in the area.

I'm in the city centre all the time South Americans everywhere Asians the same as well as Africans and plenty of Europeans as well and an awful lot these ain't tourists you can tell.

There's no point pretending this isn't true and it's only getting worse over time.

I don't want Ireland to go the same way the UK did is that such a big deal? I hate feeling like a tourist in my own city walking into shops restaurants or pubs and so many of the staff or people there have broken English.

Ya its great having a bit of multiculturalism but gets to a point where start to think where is this gonna end?

Its quickly getting that way,I walked up the quays a few weeks ago and hardly an Irish accent to be heard... Though I could say the same about my hometown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

thebull85 wrote: »

In my opinion a native is an Irish person born and bred with Irish parents. Not someone that just happened to be born here.

My mother was born in England. Her dad was Irish, mother English. Moved here when she was eight.

I guess I'm not a native Dub. Anyone want an All Ireland ticket? I'd just be a neutral.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Op do you consider Paul McGrath a native irish/Dubliner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

In my opinion a native is an Irish person born and bred with Irish parents.

So if you met an English woman and ended up ultimately having a child with her here in Ireland you wouldn't consider your own Irish born child to be Irish?

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    So if you met an English woman and ended up ultimately having a child with her here in Ireland you wouldn't consider your own Irish born child to be Irish?

Half Irish half English. Nothhing wrong with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Half Irish half English. Nothhing wrong with that.

Would they fit your definition of native Irish?

If the English woman was black meaning your child was mixed race does your answer then change? I bet it does.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭DChancer

Extremely naive post. I dont know if there are the statistics out there, but Dublin (city) already looks like there are more non irish than natives.
    How can you tell the difference?

DChancer wrote: »
    How can you tell the difference?

By using my eyes and not being oblivious to whats going on around me.

What do your eyes tell you about paul McGrath. Is he Irish or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭DChancer

Oh , so all non white equals non Irish?
    So as I suspected this is just another boring Racist rant.
    Bye now.

I don't want Ireland to go the same way the UK did is that such a big deal? I hate feeling like a tourist in my own city ?

What way is that now?
    & why do you feel like a tourist? Because some people speak in broken English?

Wow. Good reasons to keep them foreigners out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

It wouldn't bother me to be honest. All I ask of anyone coming here from other countries is that they're not coming here to commit crime, don't have a criminal record for violent crimes and are prepared to learn a decent level of English. Other than that, welcome in.

Op what about Phil Lynott is he a native Dubliner? Or should we posthumously remove his Dublin and Irish identity?

DChancer wrote: »
    Oh , so all non white equals non Irish?
    So as I suspected this is just another boring Racist rant.
    Bye now.

Are you really gonna tell me you cant tell the difference between an Irish person and an Eastern European???

erica74 wrote: »
    It wouldn't bother me to be honest. All I ask of anyone coming here from other countries is that they're not coming here to commit crime, don't have a criminal record for violent crimes and are prepared to learn a decent level of English. Other than that, welcome in.

Yeah well unfortunatly you dont have a choice in the matter. foreign criminals are coming and going as they please in and out of this country.

• Advertisement

Are you really gonna tell me you cant tell the difference between an Irish person and an Eastern European???

Are you going to ignore all my questions about the Irishness of Paul McGrath or Phil Knott?

Are you going to ignore all my questions about the Irishness of Paul McGrath or Phil Knott?

Mate, relax its 7.30 in the morning and ive questions being fired at me left right and centre.

Paul McGrath is half Irish half wherever his father is from. and i havent a breeze who Phil Knott is.

Edit; sorry i see you mean phil lynott. another half irish man born in england.

Mate, relax its 7.30 in the morning and ive questions being fired at me left right and centre.

Paul McGrath is half Irish half wherever his father is from. and i havent a breeze who Phil Knott is.

Half Irish?
    Pal I just checked and the state doesnt assign half nationality. Either you're an Irish citizen or you're not. So which is he irish or not?
    Two Americans of Irish ancestry have a child in America is it Irish or What?

Half Irish?
    Pal I just checked and the state doesnt assign half nationality. Either you're an Irish citizen or you're not. So which is he irish or not?

Is class him as half Irish. Maybe if his father stuck around hed even class himself as half Irish, did phil lynotts da feck off aswell?

Regardless of what the state say many people do identify as half and half if parents are from different countries.

Is class him as half Irish. Maybe if his father stuck around hed even class himself as half Irish, did phil lynotts da feck off aswell?

Can you tell a half Irish person by looking at them too??

bubblypop wrote: »
    Can you tell a half Irish person by looking at them too??

Ah im sure in some cases i would, many cases i wouldnt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

You'll be glad to know the number of non-Irish nationals went down between the 2011 census and 2016 census

Regardless of what the state say many people do identify as half and half if parents are from different countries.

Two Americans of Irish ancestry have a child in America is it Irish or What?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Yea, 9 / 10 times you can, but what's your point?

I couldn't care less where people are from in all honesty. I know Polish people who work and pay taxes, have mortgages and kids in this country and are here for the long haul.

Then I know of Irish 2nd or 3rd generation dole scroungers.

I know for an absolute certainty which cohort I'd rather have here or rather live beside.

Even some well to do working families have smart, well behaved kids and all they want to do is go to college get educated on the tax payers tab and then fúck off to Canada or somewhere - what benefit is that to the country? Not as much as Weronika and Marcin, paying their taxes and buying their groceries, that's for damn sure.

The country (and the world at large) is a big place, there's plenty of room for people coming and people going. It does us all good to mix it up a little. Too much introspection just leads to stagnation. The world is outside, not inside!

Ireland now, with it's hefty chunk of foreigners, is a much better place than Ireland 30 or 40 years ago. Only an idiot could deny that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Those fcuking Vikings and Normans should just fcuk off back where they came from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Define worse?

It seems like a big deal for you alright, I like that we're an international city I like seeing new faces here, and being exposed to new cultures and I'm a pretty true Dub, all my great grandparents were Dubs.
    City is full of boggers anyway so might as well let everyone else in

• Advertisement

Yea, 9 / 10 times you can, but what's your point?

I couldn't care less where people are from in all honesty. I know Polish people who work and pay taxes, have mortgages and kids in this country and are here for the long haul.

Then I know of Irish 2nd or 3rd generation dole scroungers.

I know for an absolute certainty which cohort I'd rather have here or rather live beside.

Even some well to do working families have smart, well behaved kids and all they want to do is go to college get educated on the tax payers tab and then fúck off to Canada or somewhere - what benefit is that to the country? Not as much as Weronika and Marcin, paying their taxes and buying their groceries, that's for damn sure.

The country (and the world at large) is a big place, there's plenty of room for people coming and people going. It does us all good to mix it up a little. Too much introspection just leads to stagnation. The world is outside, not inside!

Ireland now, with it's hefty chunk of foreigners, is a much better place than Ireland 30 or 40 years ago. Only an idiot could deny that!

Thats a good post and i agree with a lot of what you said. Of course people are going to move about and live in other countries.

I know this gets said a lot but we are a small country i think therfore we should only have a small influx of immigrants. I think we should have a bit more control over whos coming and going.

Lets be honest were not doing so good as a country at the moment our health service is shyte, there is nowhere for people to live, the gardai are basically non existent. Its no time for people to still be flooding in to the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

The city centre and Dublin 1 in particular is full of generations of Dubs that live there for very little in social housing. Most of the people you see are transient. Passing through the area and spending money while they are at it. They usually can’t afford to live in Dublin 1 as they don’t have social housing provided for them. So it is full of Dubs. It’s just that most of those dubs are sitting at home watching tv etc., while people are passing through to go to work or shop.

The city centre and Dublin 1 in particular is full of generations of Dubs that live there for very little in social housing. Most of the people you see are transient. Passing through the area and spending money while they are at it. They usually can’t afford to live in Dublin 1 as they don’t have social housing provided for them. So it is full of Dubs. It’s just that most of those dubs are sitting at home watching tv etc., while people are passing through to go to work or shop.

There is an apartment block in town that i im in regularly working, I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt 90% of the people living in this block are not Irish, and i can also tell you that there is a hell of a lot of them not working either, now how is that they can afford to live smack bang in the Dublin 1 while theres Irish people in their 30s having to live in their parents house.

Thats a good post and i agree with a lot of what you said. Of course people are going to move about and live in other countries. .

Generally to the benefit of both themselves and the other country. There's a lot to be said about having people live anywhere who have actively chosen to live there as opposed to just happened to be born there. Very few people (if any at all) leave their family and friends and move half way across the world, just so they can sign on the scratcher and hang around all day.
    There are exceptions, as in the case of refugees for example, who don't really choose here but are allocated here by some bureaucrat or other, but that is a tiny proportion of the people coming here.
    I know this gets said a lot but we are a small country i think therfore we should only have a small influx of immigrants. I think we should have a bit more control over whos coming and going. .

We are a small country in the scheme of things, but it's not like we're a village. There's quite a bit of room here!
    Lets be honest were not doing so good as a country at the moment our health service is shyte, there is nowhere for people to live, the gardai are basically non existent. Its no time for people to still be flooding in to the country.

All countries have their problems and we are certainly not the exception, but I'd be interested to hear at what point in our past do you think we were doing better than we are now?

There is an apartment block in town that i im in regularly working, I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt 90% of the people living in this block are not Irish, and i can also tell you that there is a hell of a lot of them not working either, now how is that they can afford to live smack bang in the Dublin 1 while theres Irish people in their 30s having to live in their parents house.

90%? Have you done a census on the apartment block?

Maybe it’s one of the refugee centres.

Also, there is only one recognised Irish ethnicity...Irish Traveller.

thebull85 wrote:

thebull85 wrote:

Maybe they don't need to work, Maybe their rich parents who pay for their lifestyle are in their home country. Maybe they're studying here

How do you know they aren't working?

Maybe they work nights, or work from home, something like that?

Dont wanna speak about my job but im in a position where i get to see who comes and goes. And its not a refugee centre. Im sure most people here will know the apartments im talking about anyway.

How do you know they aren't working?

Maybe they work nights, or work from home, something like that?

It’s because they don’t have pure Irish ethnicity silly!

Dont wanna speak about my job but im in a position where i get to see who comes and goes. And its not a refugee centre. Im sure most people here will know the apartments im talking about anyway.

Not everyone posting here is from Dublin and even if they are I’m sure that they don’t know all areas intimately.

• Advertisement

Not everyone posting here is from Dublin and even if they are I’m sure that they don’t know all areas intimately.

Oh well the non native Dubs probably aren't worthy of the info!!

Bootlegger wrote: »
    Apparently white English will soon be a minority in Birmingham. No ethnic group has ever voluntary become a minority in their own countries before. The situation is be replicated all over Europe.

I don't think this is a good thing. Just at the problems in Sweden or England to see the failure of multi culturalism.

Nobody likes to talk about these things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Bootlegger wrote: »
    Apparently white English will soon be a minority in Birmingham. No ethnic group has ever voluntary become a minority in their own countries before. The situation is be replicated all over Europe.

I don't think this is a good thing. Just at the problems in Sweden or England to see the failure of multi culturalism.

According to who?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭IAmTheReign

What do you mean you don't want to talk about your job? You're the one who brought it up!
    I'll be honest I'm a 'native' Dub and I haven't a breeze where you're talking about. I would think that someone such as yourself who works there regularly should have a better idea why they're not working than anyone else on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Seen a similar thread on reddit and would like to get some views from Boardsies.

Im sure a lot of us will be pushing up daisies by the time this happens, but how would you feel about it?

Personally its not something i would welcome a native irish minority.

Thoughts?

You're using future tense but if you take a walk around Dublin city centre you'll often feel like a minority.

Henry Street, o connell street, capel street areas make me feel like I'm in the Philippines.

Parnell Street and the surrounding residential areas north of there make me feel like I'm in Brazil.

Nobody likes to talk about these things.

The main reason people don't talk about it, is that it simply is not true.
    It is just racist propaganda and straight out lies.
    Here why not even read a wiki article on the ethnicity of Birmingham.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demography_of_Birmingham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

MarkY91 wrote: »
    You're using future tense but if you take a walk around Dublin city centre you'll often feel like a minority.

Henry Street, o connell street, capel street areas make me feel like I'm in the Philippines.

Parnell Street and the surrounding residential areas north of there make me feel like I'm in Brazil.

I work around there and know what you mean. But the entirety of the city centre is foreigners at this stage. However most are tourists. There's even a tourist shop on Mary street. It's weird to think there'd be a tourist shop on that street.

Although to be far, I was a born in the UK and moved here when I was 4. I grew up in the midlands too. So as far as Dublin is concerned I'm a non-native.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

This whole "we'll be a minority in our own town" is a load of crap.

Bradford in the U.K. is often thought of the most densely populated area for migrants is still 2/3 "native English".

"In the 2011 census, it stated that 67.44% (352,317) of the city's population was White (All White ethnic groups), 2.48% (12,979) (Mixed ethnic groups), 26.83% (140,149) (All Asian ethnic groups), 1.77% (9,267) (All Black ethnic groups) and 1.48% (7,740) (all other ethnic groups)."

Dublin is light years from getting to where Bradford is now

Grayson wrote: »
    I work around there and know what you mean. But the entirety of the city centre is foreigners at this stage. However most are tourists. There's even a tourist shop on Mary street. It's weird to think there'd be a tourist shop on that street.

Although to be far, I was a born in the UK and moved here when I was 4. I grew up in the midlands too. So as far as Dublin is concerned I'm a non-native.

Are you not one of these foreigners what with being born in Britain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Grayson wrote: »

Yea we have a HUGE number of tourists in town but I have to disagree that most of the foreigners are tourists.

The Brazilians are all learning English here hopping from course to course to keep their visa and they all work part time plus a cash in hand job so no tax paying.

The Filipinos are all here because the wife is a nurse so she brings her whole family over on her visa and they're then magically Irish. 99% of Brazilian and Filipinos currently in Ireland are living here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement