Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How would you feel about Dublin having a native minority population?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

The main reason people don't talk about it, is that it simply is not true.
    It is just racist propaganda and straight out lies.
    Here why not even read a wiki article on the ethnicity of Birmingham.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demography_of_Birmingham

I have to disagree. Look at the evidence.

https://twitter.com/RichardA/status/554419434237214720

I nicked that from here.
    https://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/jan/12/fox-news-expert-ridiculed-over-birmingham-is-totally-muslim-city-claims

Are you not one of these foreigners what with being born in Britain?

Yep. And I'm sleeping with your women and taking your job. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

This whole "we'll be a minority in our own town" is a load of crap.

Bradford in the U.K. is often thought of the most densely populated area for migrants is still 2/3 "native English".

"In the 2011 census, it stated that 67.44% (352,317) of the city's population was White (All White ethnic groups), 2.48% (12,979) (Mixed ethnic groups), 26.83% (140,149) (All Asian ethnic groups), 1.77% (9,267) (All Black ethnic groups) and 1.48% (7,740) (all other ethnic groups)."

Dublin is light years from getting to where Bradford is now

Don’t be countering nonsense with facts. It renders the racist agendas invalid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Omackeral wrote: »
    Alright here I go. I fcuking hate racists. Despise them. They're either utter scum, ignorant or a mix of both. However, having said that I can see how someone might want to feel like they're in their own country hearing languages they understand and seeing customs that are familiar to them. That to me doesn't make someone a bad person. Might make them somewhat insular or a homebird but not necessarily a racist.
    I do get where you're coming from there (it doesn't bother me personally and I prefer 2018 Dublin to 1993 Dublin in that sense, but to each their own on that matter).

However, people claiming someone is 'less' (or even simply 'not') Irish based purely on their skin colour, is point blank undeniable racism. I went to primary school in the 90s with two black kids and this is the kind of sh*te they had to put up with all the time from before their baby teeth had all fallen out, and it definitely took it's toll on at least one of them mentally. If that is 'Irishness' we could do with a lot less of it.

My main point though is that someone born in Ireland is literally an Irish native though, there are no two ways about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Billy86 wrote: »
    I do get where you're coming from there (it doesn't bother me personally and I prefer 2018 Dublin to 1993 Dublin in that sense, but to each their own on that matter).

However, people claiming someone is 'less' (or even simply 'not') Irish based purely on their skin colour, is point blank undeniable racism. I went to primary school in the 90s with two black kids and this is the kind of sh*te they had to put up with all the time from before their baby teeth had all fallen out, and it definitely took it's toll on at least one of them mentally. If that is 'Irishness' we could do with a lot less of it.

My main point though is that someone born in Ireland is literally an Irish native though, there are no two ways about it.

What about the "Irish" Filipinos who are now teenagers with Filipino accents, eat Filipino foods, mostly mix with only Filipinos. They're neither originally from here nor adopted anything Irish but resisted it.

My gf is filipina so I see this quite alot. I'm sometimes annoyed as the kids love here most of their lives yet have nothing Irish about them personality wise.

Being Irish to me is more than where you're born. If you don't have the Irish personality, mentality, culture etc then you ain't Irish.

Theyre as Irish as my Aussie cousins with dual citizenship. They may have the passport and wear a green t-shirt on Paddy's day but they're not "Irish"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

MarkY91 wrote:
    My gf is filipina so I see this quite alot. I'm sometimes annoyed as the kids love here most of their lives yet have nothing Irish about them personality wise.

MarkY91 wrote:
    Theyre as Irish as my Aussie cousins with dual citizenship. They may have the passport and wear a green t-shirt on Paddy's day but they're not "Irish"

Serious question, why does this matter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

thebull85 wrote: »
    Ive made 2 so far, i may make many more if i feel like it. You're busy talking about the pope and donald trump, this thread is about the demographics of Dublin. Yknow something that people might actually give a **** about.

Then combined with the rest of your posting history, it's almost as if you think a white genocide is around the corner, what do you think a large non white population will do to Ireland? Be open now! The thread is less so about demographics and more to do with you targeting a specific demographic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

There is an apartment block in town that i im in regularly working, I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt 90% of the people living in this block are not Irish, and i can also tell you that there is a hell of a lot of them not working either, now how is that they can afford to live smack bang in the Dublin 1 while theres Irish people in their 30s having to live in their parents house.

Why don't you ask them.

Also using one apartment block to support your argument isnt really representative of the rest of Dublin

MarkY91 wrote: »
    The Brazilians are all learning English here hopping from course to course to keep their visa and they all work part time plus a cash in hand job so no tax paying.
    Well that's bullsh*t. Not a single one of the seven Brazilian people I know here are working cash in hand. I'm sure some are, as I'm sure some Irish are, but you can get off of it with "they all work part time plus a cash in hand job" nonsense, because it's simply not true and you are well aware of that.

Serious question, why does this matter?

I guess it really doesn't. But in my opinion. A person cannot call themselves Irish if they weren't born here and never adopted a single shred of anything into into their life or personality. But does it really matter to me and my life? I guess not

• Advertisement

Billy86 wrote: »
    Well that's bullsh*t. Not a single one of the seven Brazilian people I know here are working cash in hand. I'm sure some are, as I'm sure some Irish are, but you can get off of it with "they all work part time plus a cash in hand job" nonsense, because it's simply not true and you are well aware of that.

But are they hopping from course to course to extend their student visa to live here as long as they want?

Alot of them are working cash in hand. I've been told. I know lots of foreigner's in Dublin and imo, Brazilians offer nothing but a sexy arse to look at.

Yea, 9 / 10 times you can, but what's your point?
    You actually can't quite often either. My ex came over as a Bosnian refugee when she was 1-2 years of age, and unless you knew her name you would never, ever have a clue that she was not 100% Irish.

I didn't have a state paid college education, but I am one of those people f***ing off to Canada that you mentioned (just got my confirmation of permanent residence letter two weeks back after nearly two years!) and you are absolutely correct - young Lukasz or Chenglei or Adi will likely contribute far more than me moving forward over the course of their lifetimes. Plenty of others like Darren Randolph or Simon Zebo have already contributed far more to the nation than me or most on this thread, as much as that must pain certain posters here. There's also the minor matter of that Taoiseach fella of ours - though according to some here he's not even really Irish.

The bitterness off some that the young girl Rhasidat Adekele won Ireland a European gold medal in the U18 athletics a few weeks back while giving out that Sydney born-and-raised Sophie O'Sullivan deserved more praise instead (still delighted for her and her choice to represent Ireland by the way) should say all it needs to about how much some people care about Ireland compared to how much they care about their own prejudices. Good thing for us that as a nation we pretty much reject that concept and were on the whole delighted for both of them, as we were for young Sarah Healy as well.

Spot on post, by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭arctictree

Pherekydes wrote: »
    The last census disagrees...

A lot of the foreigners don't bother filling in the census forms. I know a census enumerator and that's what he told me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

What about the "Irish" Filipinos who are now teenagers with Filipino accents, eat Filipino foods, mostly mix with only Filipinos. They're neither originally from here nor adopted anything Irish but resisted it.

Being Irish to me is more than where you're born. If you don't have the Irish personality, mentality, culture etc then you ain't Irish.

The Irish personality, mentality, and culture changes over time though. The way Irish people act today would be considered non-Irish if you compared it to the values held by those in the not so distant past. Cultures evolve.

We're all immigrants if you go back far enough.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Extremely naive post. I dont know if there are the statistics out there, but Dublin (city) already looks like there are more non irish than natives.

Well there you have it, your personal interpretation of reality is so far removed from the actual, statistical reality, and this based on the fact that you see a few dark-skinned faces here and there (or you have some superpower that identifies someone's genetic heritage at 50 paces), that there is no real basis for this discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

arctictree wrote: »
    A lot of the foreigners don't bother filling in the census forms. I know a census enumerator and that's what he told me.

I agree with this, Most of my friends are foreign and at one time or another I asked them About the census form, lots did not fill it out, others filled it out for themselves but did not mention the 2 or 3 foreign tenants they had renting out rooms in their homes, so what ever number the census say it is too low.

That's not going to account for the massive non Irish population that the op has hallucinated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

But are they hopping from course to course to extend their student visa to live here as long as they want?

Alot of them are working cash in hand. I've been told. I know lots of foreigner's in Dublin and imo, Brazilians offer nothing but a sexy arse to look at.

A lot of "I've been told" goes on. I've been told that orange is the new black but I have more sense than to believe it without evidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

MarkY91 wrote:

Actually Brazilians don't need a visa to travel to Ireland. They can travel here without a visa and as long as they register with immigration and stay within the parameters of whatever immigration class they fall into they can stay.
    MarkY91 wrote:

I've helped a number of Brazilians get critical skills work permits, all of whom spoke great English before arriving (they couldn't pass their interview without it) they have provided skills to the economy that are in short supply here AND they're nice to look at, which is more than can be said for a lot of native Dubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

It's not going to happen, or at a stretch, it would take hundreds of years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭DChancer

I agree with this, Most of my friends are foreign and at one time or another I asked them About the census form, lots did not fill it out, others filled it out for themselves but did not mention the 2 or 3 foreign tenants they had renting out rooms in their homes, so what ever number the census say it is too low.

Bullcrap.
    You should change your name to Hans Christian Andersen

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

As long as they behave themselves, integrate and work hard, who cares where someone is born ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

As long as they behave themselves, integrate and work hard, who cares where someone is born ?

exactly. I even think we should let evertonians come and live here. Show the world how progressive we are.

There's a lot of "I can't prove this but I know it's true" going on.

exactly. I even think we should let evertonians come and live here. Show the world how progressive we are.

Oy you, we're a boon to society!!!!!!

Grayson wrote: »
    There's a lot of "I can't prove this but I know it's true" going on.

One of Bill Maher's finest spots that!!

DChancer wrote: »
    Bullcrap.
    You should change your name to Hans Christian Andersen

Not at all, I am being 100% honest. What I said was fact.

No, actually, they are not. Two of them are on six figure salaries, while the others work in anything from retail to call centres to nursing. All of them are above board, all of them intermingle very well with the locals (which is a big trend among the Brazilians here that Irish people have picked up on from the off). To say they offer "nothing but a sexy arse to look at" is laughable at best, and it says a lot that I am pointing out people who pay taxes and contribute back into the economy and you're still here claiming they offer "nothing".

Yes I am sure there are some working cash in hand just the same as some Irish people work cash in hand, and I am sure there are some people who find ways to extend their visas via loopholes in the system which people from all countries do in all other countries that they visit/live in the world over. I also know a lot of Irish people who have done likewise in both Canada and Australia, and don't see what is wrong with using the system to your advantage in that sense. My own permanent residency application in Canada was a close enough call due to their points system and my being over 30, I scraped it but if I did not my plan was to do my masters over there while accumulating a few more points through work in their country (it's worth more points) which would have made me eligible - is this some huge wrong in your eyes, even though their system is quite literally set up to allow this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Oy you, we're a boon to society!!!!!!

a great bunch of lads. I shouldn't talk though, i was named after an everton player.

• Advertisement

So you think that all Irish people have the same personality?
    And what is that exactly, can you describe the Irish personality, & what happens if someone born here to Irish parents doesn't conform with it?

Oh, & if they have an Irish passport, then yes they are Irish.

a great bunch of lads. I shouldn't talk though, i was named after an everton player.

If I'd been a boy I was going to be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

No it was conjecture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭DChancer

Not fact

Made up stories and suspicions are NOT fact!

• Site Banned Posts: 210 ✭✭Sardine

Cultures and societies are constantly evolving. With globalisation and cheap travel and Ireland having a strong economy, immigration is always going to happen here.
    Why would anyone even care if we become a minority or not? People are generally the same regardless of where they come from. Leo V just seems like any other posh gobsh*te from Castleknock to me even though he's of Indian extraction for example.
    I'm 38 now, I'll be doing well to live another 38 years, and if everyone is black or an Arab when I die, who f**king cares?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Sardine wrote: »
    Cultures and societies are constantly evolving. With globalisation and cheap travel and Ireland having a strong economy, immigration is always going to happen here.
    Why would anyone even care if we become a minority or not? People are generally the same regardless of where they come from. Leo V just seems like any other posh gobsh*te from Castleknock to me even though he's of Indian extraction for example.
    I'm 38 now, I'll be doing well to live another 38 years, and if everyone is black or an Arab when I die, who f**king cares?

Well that’s the thing, they’re not. If they were there wouldn’t be any issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

As a country bumpkin I don’t really care what happens in Dublin but saying that I was in Dublin last week and while sitting in Blanchardstown centre waiting for someone for 30 minutes I was struck by the sheer number of non irish people milling about, they did seem to outnumber irish looking people. I have nothing more to add.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Easiest explaination for op and others of his ilk, the difference between 2 people of a different colour

[Img][/img]IMG

• Site Banned Posts: 210 ✭✭Sardine

Well that’s the thing, they’re not. If they were there wouldn’t be any issues.

what issues regarding immigration in Ireland are currently affecting you?

DChancer wrote: »
    Not fact

Made up stories and suspicions are NOT fact!

Well mr chancer, Let us examine this, someone I know well tells me they did not put down the 2 foreign students they rent to onto their Census form, so the census does not record them, so when I say the census is wrong with the number of foreign people they record living in Ireland then yes, I can say it is fact.

Now prove me wrong and show me why you think that the census is 100% accurate if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭claiomh solais

Sardine wrote: »

Generation X was such a mistake.

• Advertisement

Well mr chancer, Let us examine this, someone I know well tells me they did not put down the 2 foreign students they rent to onto their Census form, so the census does not record them, so when I say the census is wrong with the number of foreign people they record living in Ireland then yes, I can say it is fact.

Ah grand, sure who needs evidence when we have you here saying someone you know told you something.

Now prove me wrong and show me why you think that the census is 100% accurate if you can.
    And you need far more than anecdotal proof that this is actually a big issue that truly impacts the census numbers.

Easiest explaination for op and others of his ilk, the difference between 2 people of a different colour

I know you think you're being very clever, but there are real anthropological differences between racial groups. Anything else is just science-denial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I know you think you're being very clever, but there are real anthropological differences between racial groups. Anything else is just science-denial.

If a black person is born in dublin, is raised there, goes to school there and speaks with a dublin accent then he is as dublin as little red haired seamus born on the same day in the same hospital to irish parents.

Bootlegger wrote: »
    You wouldn't care that the country as you knew it was gone for ever?

Ireland as my parents knew it is gone, Ireland as I knew it from when I was a child is gone. Countries evolve and change. And in general, I think Ireland is a far better nation to live in than it was 20/30 years ago. I couldn't care less about the skin colour of the nation as it's entirely inconsequential.

lol. Race science is bullsh1t. Literally the only people who believe in it are racists.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/mar/02/the-unwelcome-revival-of-race-science

Bootlegger wrote: »
    You wouldn't care that the country as you knew it was gone for ever?

That's going to happen whether we close immigration altogether, have a free for all, or anything in between. Societies are not static.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,209 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Seen a similar thread on reddit and would like to get some views from Boardsies.

Im sure a lot of us will be pushing up daisies by the time this happens, but how would you feel about it?

Personally its not something i would welcome a native irish minority.

Thoughts?

Just an observation: you seem to spend a significant amount of time worried about white pride, nationality, immigrants and so on

These things literally don't affect your day to day life, so in the grand scheme of things - don't worry

If a black person is born in dublin, is raised there, goes to school there and speaks with a dublin accent then he is as dublin as little red haired seamus born on the same day in the same hospital to irish parents.

I'm not saying one person (or 'egg') is more of a 'dubliner' as another person. But they are of different ethnicity and thus have inherent biological differences. One spent 20,000+ years developing in Europe and the other somewhere else. This has measurable effects on all animals, including humans. Again, they can be as dubliner as they like, or choose not to be.

I just hate that egg picture it's just so dumb.

I'm not saying one person (or 'egg') is more of a 'dubliner' as another person. But they are of different ethnicity and thus have inherent biological differences. Again they can be as dubliner as they like, or choose not to be.

I just hate that egg picture it's just so dumb.

What are those inherent differences?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement