Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interrment of Ashes in Columbarian Wall

• 22-08-2018 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭

Hi
    My Dad passed away in January. Cremation at Dardistowm, where his ashes still remain. Mother would like his ashes interred in Columbarium Wall in Glasnevin Cemetery. I have no idea about the protocol for such events. Is there a Mass? A ceremony? A priest? What exactly happens? I phoned the Glasnevin Trust, who were spectacularly unhelpful :- "Ah. Sure, whatever ye want ye'reselves"....
    I am kind of anxious to get my dear old Dad into his final resting place & have a spot where I can go & be quiet & think about what a spectacularly good Dad he was. Can anybody advise about protocol/procedures, please?
    Thank. I typed the last bit through a blur of tears.

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

First of all, I'm so sorry for your loss. It's a very tough time for you.

I don't know the answer to your question, but I suggest asking the funeral director who looked after the cremation etc. The funeral director will surely have experience, and if not, will be able to find out more for you, and guide you.

From a practical point of view, I presume that you have to book a time and pay some fees - that should be on the Glasnevin website. And then, it may well be that it is a matter of preference as to how the interring is carried out, e.g with some prayers or whatever you/ your family feel would best reflect what your dad would have wanted.

Take care. It sounds like you had a great relationship and it is a big loss. I hope that you will find peace in due course, in visiting there and thinking of him.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

we put mams ashes in a wall in Kilteran a few weeks ago. we choose family only, said some poems, told stories and placed her in the wall ourselves. the man then came and sealed it up.

you can get a priest to come and say so prayers if you wish. it is basically whatever you want

Advertisement