Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to buy an apartment in Sandyford

• 22-08-2018 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Is there a known dodgy area in Sandyford where I should avoid looking at buying a property in?

I was reading some bad comments around Kilcross Road. Any ideas if its really bad?

What about the Bracken Hill or Rockview there are some apartments that for some reason are cheaper than the ones in Beacon South Quarter area (the Ind. Estate)?

I am sorry for all the questions but its a bit confusing why so many apartments are for sale in Bracken Hill and Rockview.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

Stoko wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Is there a known dodgy area in Sandyford where I should avoid looking at buying a property in?

I was reading some bad comments around Kilcross Road. Any ideas if its really bad?

What about the Bracken Hill or Rockview there are some apartments that for some reason are cheaper than the ones in Beacon South Quarter area (the Ind. Estate)?

I am sorry for all the questions but its a bit confusing why so many apartments are for sale in Bracken Hill and Rockview.

I live near here, area is grand. The reason for it being cheaper in bracken hill I think is because it's so close to the M50 and kinda not near many amenities. It's a for walk to anything. I'm here a year now nearly and the feckin M50 noise is just so hard to get used to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭jimbis

Kilcross isn't as bad as some people make out, one or two bad eggs but they're just kids to be honest.
    Bracken hill, ticknock hill etc is a nice, busy enough place but quiet if you get me. I know quite a few people living up there. The cheaper prices compared to beacon is simply because it's not in the center of the busy sandyford industrial estate (which has lots of amenities, bus routes, luas etc).

It would be slightly isolated when compared to sandyford industrial estate but still has lots on your doorstep (shop, takeaway, pharmacy etc).

And yeah the m50 noise can be a pain depending on where your situated.
    Feel free to message me if you've any more questions, I know the place very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭KaneToad

jimbis wrote: »
    Kilcross isn't as bad as some people make out, one or two bad eggs but they're just kids to be honest.
    Bracken hill, ticknock hill etc is a nice, busy enough place but quiet if you get me. I know quite a few people living up there. The cheaper prices compared to beacon is simply because it's not in the center of the busy sandyford industrial estate (which has lots of amenities, bus routes, luas etc).

It would be slightly isolated when compared to sandyford industrial estate but still has lots on your doorstep (shop, takeaway, pharmacy etc).

And yeah the m50 noise can be a pain depending on where your situated.
    Feel free to message me if you've any more questions, I know the place very well.

I lived in the area for a few years when I worked in the industrial estate there. Kilcross wasn't that bad - it is a social housing development, albeit a very old one, and does suffer with some of the issues that such developments can suffer from. On the whole, decent people are living there. The bad apples, unfortunately, have a disproportionate impact compared to their number.

Sandyford apts in general would seem a good location. Price will vary based on distance from LUAS. However if you're more than walking distance from LUAS then any of the developments are as good as eachother.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Stoko

I will go view some apartments and will try get one that doesn't face M50.
    Thank you for the detailed explanations guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Views of the M50 aren't all bad. You'll get nice panoramic views of the city and Dublin bay. Mountain views, on the opposite side, are also great but probably only marginally quieter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Lived in Ticknock Hill for many years. Very well built and maintained complex, far more quiet than the other developments east of the shops in terms of traffic and socially. 10 minute walk to Marlay Park, Three Rock Bar, 16 Bus Route (via Kingston). I loved it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Stoko

Hopefully we can manage to get an apartment in there. Seems like there are options available at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 kevinirl

We are looking at options here . Had a few questions on the build of the apartments and if there have been any Structural issues ever highlighted .
    Anyone here part of owners association and any ongoing issue.

Seems most complexes have some or the other Fire and safety issues..

Ticknock Hill very solid. No issues that we were ever made aware of. Have been in our apartment since they were built 13+ years back.

Hi Nasty ,

Wow 13 + yrs... How long have the apartments been there ? It seems a mix and some look fairly new .
    What price were they launched 13yrs back i wonder :)

• Advertisement

We moved in Feb 2005. Ours was €380k new.

What is the Annual Maintenance for the apartments ? Heard its based on the Apt size. What would it be for say a 3 bed vs a 2 Bed

As we are in final phase to confirm buying a house in the estate but every odd person has commented on the estate being disconnected/isolated.
    Assuming if we are driving 90% of the time it should be ok. Happy to hear comments on people commuting everyday.
    Especially wife will be driving to dropoff our kid to Oatlands school everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Gadfly Girl

Stepaside has a variety of nice apartments and townhouses if that's an option, I have lots of friends and family in the area. However I would caution at buying an apartment in Parkview development, there have been lots of fire safety issues and while most of them have been addressed a number of blocks have serious structural defects such as water ingress from improperly finished walls and problems with overflow pipes. Some of the apartments in Belarmine Hall have similar issues (same builder I think). Stepaside is a lovely place to live though, would recommend The Rectory just before the village or Cruagh Manor just past the village both offer well built single story apartments with nice proportions and own front doors.

The apartments by the M50 are very nice and location offers some lovely views, only issue is less amenities e.g. playground and can be a little cut off on the few occasions there is snow. Good luck with your purchase.

Advertisement