Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Border Poll discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭droidman123

downcow wrote: »
    I hope there are plenty more like cause people like you will ensure there is never a UI

It wont be my decision,when there is a border poll,the majority will decide.my opinions and facts wont come into it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,423 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

RobMc59 wrote: »
    If the UK comes to an agreement with the EU there probably won't be a UI in any of our lifetimes Francie.

Another deluded soul who thinks it is plain sailing once the UK get through what is widely regarded as 'the easy bit'.

Outside forces like Scotland are still a major threat to the union. Not to mention the complete undermining of and shafting of the whole concept of the union and northern Irish Unionists in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,628 ✭✭✭✭downcow

I am curios if you will be banning many others eg USA, France, Holland, Spain, China, etc etc

The initial stuff you posted was about what Uk done around the world
    But I’m glad you have clarified. As long as they don’t hurt you it doesn’t matter what they do to anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Another deluded soul who thinks it is plain sailing once the UK get through what is widely regarded as 'the easy bit'.

Outside forces like Scotland are still a major threat to the union. Not to mention the complete undermining of and shafting of the whole concept of the union and northern Irish Unionists in particular.

I think thats all in your head and Scotland isn't an outside force it's part of the UK-ridiculing what people hold dear isn't going to persuade people to believe your talk of compromise.

Folks there are wee glimmers now and again on this thread of compromise and sense. And then it degenerates again into anti British nonsense from people with huge chips on their shoulders who want nobody’s culture but their own in this new Ireland.

• Advertisement

I think thats all in your head and Scotland isn't an outside force it's part of the UK-ridiculing what people hold dear isn't going to persuade people to believe your talk of compromise.

If people vote to leave the union..Scots or irish, they, by definition, do not hold it 'dear'.

Scotland is an outside force if you identify as Irish. GFA and all that - please observe!

Folks there are wee glimmers now and again on this thread of compromise and sense. And then it degenerates again into anti British nonsense from people with huge chips on their shoulders who want nobody’s culture but their own in this new Ireland.

When are you gonna give us a glimmer of what you will compromise on?

When are you gonna give us a glimmer of what you will compromise on?

In the unlikely event that a majority in ni and roi vote for joining the two countries into one I can’t see why I’d be wanting to compromise or what else I would need to compromise.

I realise this doesn’t fit into your plan but I can’t see how we would be anything other than a minority in a strange land and I’d be looking to the big majority to do everything possible to accommodate us.
    I am not connected to a band or orange order but I imagine in that scenario people like myself would be drawn to these organisations and they would flourish. I am a ardent NI football supporter and if we lost our team I guess I would enjoy travelling with the England team.
    You’ve talked a lot about the rights of people to take action against oppressors. Well that might be a compromise ie I can’t see any way I could justify killing my neighbours to get my country back, unlike republicans in the past. So I’d be completely peaceful but I wouldn’t be part of you jolly Ireland project

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭droidman123

The initial stuff you posted was about what Uk done around the world
    But I’m glad you have clarified. As long as they don’t hurt you it doesn’t matter what they do to anyone else.

Thats completely disengenous,we are talking about the getting rid of the uk from my country here not world affairs from other countries.as a side note,do you think,like the other poster,that those atrocities committed under the union jack are only heresay and allegations?

Thats completely disengenous,we are talking about the getting rid of the uk from my country here not world affairs from other countries.as a side note,do you think,like the other poster,that those atrocities committed under the union jack are only heresay and allegations?
    You are the one who named other countries so it you who are being disingenuous and how you expect Northern Irish people to want to engage with you is astonishing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

You are the one who named other countries so it you who are being disingenuous and how you expect Northern Irish people to want to engage with you is astonishing.

You seem to be under the misconception that everyone in N.I. thinks the same way.
    On that note, what's how say China treats Tibet got to do with Unionists or the Orange order marching in the St. Patrick's day parade? Keeping in mind Patrick was Welsh and we embraced his Catholic culture.

Top of my head.

Irish

The famine.
    Bloody Sunday 1
    Bloody Sunday 2

No links required.

Others across the world.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_war_crimes

Britain operated concentration camps was news to me I must admit.

I wouldn't argue with you about what Britain did to Ireland but the Wikipedia article states it's neutrality is disputed

In the unlikely event that a majority in ni and roi vote for joining the two countries into one I can’t see why I’d be wanting to compromise or what else I would need to compromise.

I realise this doesn’t fit into your plan but I can’t see how we would be anything other than a minority in a strange land and I’d be looking to the big majority to do everything possible to accommodate us.
    I am not connected to a band or orange order but I imagine in that scenario people like myself would be drawn to these organisations and they would flourish. I am a ardent NI football supporter and if we lost our team I guess I would enjoy travelling with the England team.
    You’ve talked a lot about the rights of people to take action against oppressors. Well that might be a compromise ie I can’t see any way I could justify killing my neighbours to get my country back, unlike republicans in the past. So I’d be completely peaceful but I wouldn’t be part of you jolly Ireland project

So essentially you are gonna do nothing.

Good to know. I think that is what will happen btw. Those unhappiest will refuse to engage with the new arrangement, those who are moderate (the vast majority) will have some regret but get on with it. Life is as good as you want to make it, after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

blanch152 wrote: »
    The removal of mandatory Irish in education is an obvious first step to take towards the British minority in a united Ireland.

The poor craturs.

What exactly is so abominable about Gaeilge?

Is there anything you actually like about this State? You're fierce quick to get rid of everything to appease unionists

You seem to be under the misconception that everyone in N.I. thinks the same way.
    On that note, what's how say China treats Tibet got to do with Unionists or the Orange order marching in the St. Patrick's day parade? Keeping in mind Patrick was Welsh and we embraced his Catholic culture.

Are you smoking something? What you mean Patrick embraced his catholic culture?

So essentially you are gonna do nothing.

Good to know. I think that is what will happen btw. Those unhappiest will refuse to engage with the new arrangement, those who are moderate (the vast majority) will have some regret but get on with it. Life is as good as you want to make it, after all.

I'm not trying to answer for downcow but you're criticising him about an imaginary referendum and you are able to look in your crystal ball and say with conviction what people will think and do-you couldn’t make it up!

The poor craturs.

What exactly is so abominable about Gaeilge?

Is there anything you actually like about this State? You're fierce quick to get rid of everything to appease unionists

So what else would you make mandatory in this new ‘free’ Ireland?

The poor craturs.

What exactly is so abominable about Gaeilges

I don’t have any problem with Gaelic It’s a bit like peanut butter to me. I don’t understand how anyone could be interested in it, but I am happy they enjoy it, it’s just not for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

We embraced his Catholic culture. We being the island of Ireland, which is by and large a Catholic nation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Explain to me what's so scary about "mandatory" Irish?

I mean, are you ever curious about why Down is so-called? Or Carrickfergus? Or Belfast?

Solid English placenames they are.

• Advertisement

I'm not trying to answer for downcow but you're criticising him about an imaginary referendum and you are able to look in your crystal ball and say with conviction what people will think and do-you couldn’t make it up!

I am not 'criticising' him. i wanted to know what he would propose to compromise on if we voted for a UI.

He won't compromise on anything, he will just ignore the new state.

I have lived among moderate unionsts all my life. I think I have a fair idea how they would react.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I don’t have any problem with Gaelic It’s a bit like peanut butter to me. I don’t understand how anyone could be interested in it, but I am happy they enjoy it, it’s just not for me

I find it baffling that a self described unionist, given that they seem to put so much emphasis on culture, can't understand why some Irish people have an interest in their cultural heritage, and it's ancient language to be completely honest with you.

We embraced his Catholic culture. We being the island of Ireland, which is by and large a Catholic nation.

Protestants are 'Catholics' too. The correct definition for the main faith on the island is 'Roman' Catholics.
    We are Catholic in holding all the Christian faith in its fullness and being part of the one worldwide Church of God.

https://www.ireland.anglican.org/our-faith/what-we-believe

We embraced his Catholic culture. We being the island of Ireland, who are a largely Catholic nation.
    Does the capital C suggest you are referring to the Ronan Catholic Church or are you talking about the Christian church?

Protestants are 'Catholics' too. The correct definition for the main faith on the island is 'Roman' Catholics.

https://www.ireland.anglican.org/our-faith/what-we-believe

You beat me to it francie.

You read it wrong.

TBF it seems some will grudgingly accept a united Ireland, but only if all the trappings of Irishness are lost. Should we change the name Ulster to something less Irishy?

Does the capital C suggest you are referring to the Ronan Catholic Church or are you talking about the Christian church?

It was a remark regarding taking on other cultures and the St. Patrick's parade. Just pointing out St. Patrick and his religion were an import.
    On that bands from the north would be more than welcome. It's all the island of Ireland after all and I believe St. Patrick held seat in Tyrone too.
    When you think about it St. Patrick's day celebrates Ireland taking on some of the culture of the U.K. ;)

I find it baffling that a self described unionist, given that they seem to put so much emphasis on culture, can't understand why some Irish people have an interest in their cultural heritage, and it's ancient language to be completely honest with you.

Tbh I would compromise on the language thing as well. Never heard such nonsense about it. Those who instinctively hate it, deserve to miss out on it's beauty.

Explain to me what's so scary about "mandatory" Irish?

I mean, are you ever curious about why Down is so-called? Or Carrickfergus? Or Belfast?

Solid English placenames they are.

I didn't say it was scary.
    Can you tell me why it makes you feel a more complete person if i am forced to learn Irish? I genuinely don't understand the need of irish speakers to need others to want to have the same hobby as them

• Advertisement

OK you are right. I accept i was talking nonsense there. I do understand why some people have irish as a hobby. I was clumsy with how i put that. my real issue was why some irish speakers seem to want everyone else to speak it as well

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement