Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a Bitch neutered

• 22-08-2018 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭

I have an 8 year old Springer bitch, excellent working dog.

I’ve never had pups with her and don’t intend to. Vet is recommending neutering to avoid a womb infection.

If I go with this will it affect her hunting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I had a 18 month old bitch done and it never effected her drive, still as mad as ever...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭brianfrancis45

Dunedin wrote: »
    I have an 8 year old Springer bitch, excellent working dog.

I’ve never had pups with her and don’t intend to. Vet is recommending neutering to avoid (think he said) kidney infection.

If I go with this will it affect her hunting

In my experience spaying will not effect her hunting and the health benefits are great:

- no longer a risk of her getting an infection of the uterus

- ovarian and uterine cancer is prevented

-the chance of the bitch getting mammary (breast) cancer is greatly reduced.

Spayed/ neutered dogs can be prone to putting on a bit of weight but this is easily managed . Just keep an eye on it and cut back a bit on the food if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭RKMG

Had my springer spayed around that age for the same reasons, had zero affect on her drive or temperament. Weight can be an issue but you just need to monitor that more than anything

Advertisement