Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

woman buys 2 school tops in tesco, one is labeled from M&S, feels cheated?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

and we're surprised that M&S use the same far east sweat shops as Tesco?

I know a bloke who worked on a lettuce farm. same thing there. one side of the packing and labelling plant had M&S, other side, 40p cheaper, Tesco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

and we're surprised that M&S use the same far east sweat shops as Tesco?

I know a bloke who worked on a lettuce farm. same thing there. one side of the packing and labelling plant had M&S, other side, 40p cheaper, Tesco.

But they weren't just normal heads of lettuce...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Masala

What gets me is .... why do these people bother to lift the phone / write an email to some journalist etc and tgey decide to run with it. Then they spend time ring M&S and they have to get a spokesman to reply. Do people not realise the amount of ****ing wasted time this is causing to a load of people down the line.

I wish there was some sort of a filter in the internet that would say'.... that's a non story' and send straight to trash !!

First World Problems.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Has she nothing better to do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Masala wrote: »

First World Problems.....

Yes.

No-one gives a sh1t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I feel cheated after opening this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

sexmag wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/life/family/i-feel-a-bit-cheated-mumoftwo-buys-school-uniform-jumper-twopack-in-tesco-but-one-had-marks-and-spencer-label-37242397.html

“I feel a bit cheated. I have a job; my husband has a job, but at the same time I’m interested in saving as much money as possible. I have two kids starting school now this year… it all adds up.”

A two-pack of school jumpers is from €15 in Marks and Spencer, according to its spokesperson. While a two-pack v-neck jumper set is from €7.50, according to a Tesco spokesperson.

The woman just saved €7.50 for a top from M&S whos tops are more expensive, how on earth can she feel cheated for getting the exact same article of clothing?:eek:

It's obvious she is highlighting that M&S are considered a cut above Tesco for clothing and their prices reflect that. So IF they are exactly the same item, the "ripoff" here is people expecting better quality from M&S versus Tesco.

However, M&S are saying that is not their product and it is simply a mislabel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Surely the "journalist" could have resolved this simply enough by going into M&S and buying the same product and see if they are identical to the tesco product? If they are not then it is probably is just a mislabeling as M&S said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Paying more means better quality- and people say marketing does not work...

This isnt a Bangladeshi sweatshop, this is an M&S bespoke clothing base

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

M&S say that their label was affixed to something that is not their product. It's a mistake by the manufacturer. Nothing to do with ripping off consumers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

'Mum-of-two'. Since when was this one hyphenated word? And fuck back to England with your 'mum' Independent.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

Mum of two: "I got a jumper labeled M&S and I feel cheated."

Mum of seven: "I didn't get my free house and I feel cheated."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Surely the "journalist" could have resolved this simply enough by going into M&S and buying the same product and see if they are identical to the tesco product? If they are not then it is probably is just a mislabeling as M&S said.

indo doesn't employ journalists anymore - just hysterical sensationalist story writers.

Truth is of no consequence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

M&S jumpers are not the same or made in Bangladesh. Label has been wrongly used some how. Well that's M&S response

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Terrified of being cheated those 'mums'.

I'm assuming a mum is some kind of an English ma?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Christ, I wish I had her problems.

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    It's obvious she is highlighting that M&S are considered a cut above Tesco for clothing and their prices reflect that. So IF they are exactly the same item, the "ripoff" here is people expecting better quality from M&S versus Tesco.

However, M&S are saying that is not their product and it is simply a mislabel

What, you mean people pay more for clothing based on the lable?

What is the world coming to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

That whole article reads like a Waterford Whispers piece

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,922 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Sir Oxman wrote: »

Which would all make sense if she'd bought the jumpers in M&S and found one with a Tesco label on it, but she didn't, so, again, why does she feel cheated :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

This post has been deleted.

I was reading a story a while ago about how M&S plan to cut their food prices down to match Lidl / Aldi levels.......this sheds some light on how they plan on going about doing that! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,854 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I have similar to people working in factories with food regarding things being the same but packaged differently.
    Boards made up get clothes for my father in M&S and I have to say the quality was really poor.
    For the parents out there have the generic school uniforms drastically improved?
    When I was going to school there was no supermarkets/etc around and most ended up getting the one's in the local shop but they didn't go as shabby as fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I may be cynical, but it strikes me more as a piece concocted by the Tesco PR / social media team.

This is the way it's going... Almost fake-tising.
    M&S may issue a rebuttal, but the damage is done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Snackrite crisps/dokey-okeys in Aldi are tayto/hunky-dory.

This info changed my life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Masala

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I may be cynical, but it strikes me more as a piece concocted by the Tesco PR / social media team.

This is the way it's going... Almost fake-tising.
    M&S may issue a rebuttal, but the damage is done.

oooohhhhh!!!! nasty business that......hope they have covered their tracks as would be very embarrassing if they got caught!!! Could backfire big-time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

doesn't;t look like an M&S label tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,854 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Watford Whispers, more like. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Watford Whispers, more like. :pac:

Walford Whispers tbf

• Advertisement
Advertisement