Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Request review of ban

Options
  • 23-08-2018 9:01am

I have received a one month ban from politics, which in my opinion is completely biased and was given purely because the moderator in question disagrees with my view.

The posts have been deleted so i can't link to them, but i was banned for trolling and accused of posting nonsense.

Please can someone explain how my post was trolling or posting nonsense?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Good morning Aegir,

the first step in this process is always to contact one of the local forum mods, usually the mod who issued the ban, and engage with them first. Only when you have done so and are still unsatisfied, will we continue with the dispute resolution process here.

mike_ie wrote: »
    Good morning Aegir,

the first step in this process is always to contact one of the local forum mods, usually the mod who issued the ban, and engage with them first. Only when you have done so and are still unsatisfied, will we continue with the dispute resolution process here.

I have done so and he is upholding the ban

Aegir wrote: »
    I have done so and he is upholding the ban

Thanks for clarifying. I'll inform the Category mods, and they will take it from here.

Any guesses on how long this process may take?

Aegir wrote: »
    Any guesses on how long this process may take?

The CMods are aware of your DRP - they should hopefully get back to you today. Please appreciate that we all do this in our free time, and we have to work it around real world commitments.

• Advertisement

mike_ie wrote: »
    The CMods are aware of your DRP - they should hopefully get back to you today. Please appreciate that we all do this in our free time, and we have to work it around real world commitments.

Yes, I appreciate that. Apologies if that across as pushy.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Hi aegir,
    Could you forward me on the PMs please. I will take a look
    Thanks

bluewolf wrote: »
    Hi aegir,
    Could you forward me on the PMs please. I will take a look
    Thanks

Thank you.

PMs forwarded on.

Thanks aegir i have received the PMs. Please bear with me while i review posts

Hi Aegir,
    so i have reviewed your recent posts in that thread and some of your posting history. It appears you were threadbanned from the previous brexit thread but rejoined the new one promising to be less confrontational. However judging by your latest post in the thread, it doesn't appear that too much has changed.
    I understand threads on politics can get very heated given the nature of the discussion but at that stage it can be best to step away.

The length of the ban is also in keeping with the previous bans which went from
    2 weeks to 1 month.

I am going to uphold this ban.
    Please let us know if you would like an admin review,

thanks

• Advertisement

Hi Aegir,
    so i have reviewed your recent posts in that thread and some of your posting history. It appears you were threadbanned from the previous brexit thread but rejoined the new one promising to be less confrontational. However judging by your latest post in the thread, it doesn't appear that too much has changed.
    I understand threads on politics can get very heated given the nature of the discussion but at that stage it can be best to step away.

The length of the ban is also in keeping with the previous bans which went from
    2 weeks to 1 month.

I am going to uphold this ban.
    Please let us know if you would like an admin review,

thanks

Could you explain where I was confrontational and how people reported my posts please, because the mod banned me for “posting nonsense” and considering the ad hominem thrown at me, I thought I was very reserved.

From what I can see, I was banned by the mod for having a differing view from his and the general thread point of view.

When a mod is so actively engaged in a thread, they really should take a step back from miderating.

Hi,
    I am referring to posts like this one:
    I wrote it slowly as well to try and help the slow readers.

Which bit was confusing for you?

This is clearly not up to Politics standard.

The mod was not posting on that page nor the one previous, and did not appear to be engaged in any discussion with you whatsoever, so I don't see any conflict of interest here. Your previous ban was by a different mod.
    You have also been warned previously that if you have an issue with a post, you should report it rather than respond.

As above, please let us know if you would like an admin review,
    thanks

Hi,
    I am referring to posts like this one:

This is clearly not up to Politics standard.

The mod was not posting on that page nor the one previous, and did not appear to be engaged in any discussion with you whatsoever, so I don't see any conflict of interest here. Your previous ban was by a different mod.
    You have also been warned previously that if you have an issue with a post, you should report it rather than respond.

As above, please let us know if you would like an admin review,
    thanks

So hang on, was it aggressive, nonsense or simply not up to the standards of Politics (whatever that may be). I’m not sure how that post can be deemed to be aggressive anyway.

So did someone report the post I received the ban for, or did the mod act in their own?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

You've been asked twice whether you'd like an admin review. The CMod's role in this process is complete (thanks, bluewolf).

Do you want an admin review?

Yes please.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Hi Aegir - apologies for the delay in picking this up. I will be the Admin reviewer for this. I'll look it at in more detail later this evening.

dudara wrote: »
    Hi Aegir - apologies for the delay in picking this up. I will be the Admin reviewer for this. I'll look it at in more detail later this evening.

Thanks dudara

Await - can you send me a copy of the PMs exchanged between you and the mod?

Would it be possible to get an update on this appeal?

Hi aegir, I’ve been way too busy lately to spend proper time on this. I’m going to ask another Admin to step in.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I've had a look through this thread, and in particular the quote posted by bluewolf above, which resulted in this ban
    I wrote it slowly as well to try and help the slow readers.

So where do I start on that particular post?
    Was it on topic? - No
    Was it up to the posting standards expected in the Politics forum? - No
    Was it abusive? - Yes
    Was it aggressive? - Yes

So without doubt it was against the Politics charter, and the only question I feel I need to address is the size of sanction applied - a 1 month ban

If I was looking at this post in isolation I would certainly consider a 1 month ban overly harsh. But I also need to look at your history in the forum

20/12/17 - Yellow card for ignoring mod instruction
    16/01/18 - 2 week ban for a "generalised rant"
    02/03/18 - 1 month ban for backseat moderation

Now that 2 week ban may also look harsh, but that's not the whole story - it was two weeks because you had previously picked up a 1 week ban under a prior account. Not only a 1 week ban under that account. In the Politics forum alone during the 4 months leading up to the closure you picked up 2 red cards, a 2 day ban, a 4 day ban and that 1 week ban

TBH, looking at your record, I am surprised you still have access to the forum at all. I think you have got off lightly with a one month ban this time, and would ask you to seriously reconsider how you post in the forum when this ban is up

You may have worked out by now I am upholding the ban

If I may.

It was on topic, because I was replying to someone who said they didn't understand my post (even though it was extremely clear). It was wasn't aggressive or abusive, it was flippant and was very much inline with the general posting in that thread. I have reported similar posts and been told there was nothing wrong with them.

It certainly wasn't trolling, which is what I received the ban for.

Posters were making factually incorrect assumptions and i was pointing that out. My belief is that the Mod agreed with these posters and considered my asking them to back up these statements as trolling and, as he put it, "Posting Nonsense".

Boards needs to take a long hard look at the Politics forum. It isn't a place for political debate, it is a place for like minded individuals to slap each other on the back and whenever a dissenting voice is heard, the wagons circle and the poster ends is hounded out of the place. That is why any mildly political thread that is moved from AH to the Politics cafe dies an almost immediate death.

You need a change in moderation. People who are keen on political discussion and have a very strong political view, should not be mods. Moderators should be independent.
    Beasty wrote: »
    I've had a look through this thread, and in particular the quote posted by bluewolf above, which resulted in this ban

So where do I start on that particular post?
    Was it on topic? - No
    Was it up to the posting standards expected in the Politics forum? - No
    Was it abusive? - Yes
    Was it aggressive? - Yes

So without doubt it was against the Politics charter, and the only question I feel I need to address is the size of sanction applied - a 1 month ban

If I was looking at this post in isolation I would certainly consider a 1 month ban overly harsh. But I also need to look at your history in the forum

20/12/17 - Yellow card for ignoring mod instruction
    16/01/18 - 2 week ban for a "generalised rant"
    02/03/18 - 1 month ban for backseat moderation

Now that 2 week ban may also look harsh, but that's not the whole story - it was two weeks because you had previously picked up a 1 week ban under a prior account. Not only a 1 week ban under that account. In the Politics forum alone during the 4 months leading up to the closure you picked up 2 red cards, a 2 day ban, a 4 day ban and that 1 week ban

TBH, looking at your record, I am surprised you still have access to the forum at all. I think you have got off lightly with a one month ban this time, and would ask you to seriously reconsider how you post in the forum when this ban is up

You may have worked out by now I am upholding the ban

The full PM, by the way, as it was misquoted originally
    you have been banned
    Dear Aegir,

You have been banned from Politics for one month for Trolling.

This means you are posting in an intentionally provocative fashion in order to gain a reaction from other members. This is disruptive and causes stress to other members.
    We don't want that here.

For more information please refer to the Boards.ie FAQ.

If you wish to appeal this ban you can see details on how to do so here.

ancapailldorcha

Moderator Note

Posting nonsense again. You are not to post in this thread again.

Your post:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aegir View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
    I've read that sentence a few times and decided that you mistyped it or are posting from some alternate plane of reality.
    Aah shucks. I wrote it slowly as well to try and help the slow readers.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I cannot believe you continue to try and justify your comment:
    Aah shucks. I wrote it slowly as well to try and help the slow readers.

I'm marking the appeal resolved and also applying 3 months probation to your account. Any further mod actions (cards or bans) over the next 3 months and you can expect a minimum of a month siteban. Any questions please take it to PM

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement