Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obtaining a PPL - Queries

Options
  • 23-08-2018 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm a software developer in my late 20's who has had a love of flying since I was young. Now that I am somewhat comfortable in life I would like to obtain my PPL with the option of obtaining a commercial license in the future. I am not fully sure I want to change career's as of yet but I would like to obtain my PPL in a way that would definitely leave the option open.

I am looking to obtain my PPL as efficiently as possible, Ideally I would like to have it in the next 12 - 18 months. I am currently working full time with weekends and possibly a week or two holiday available. From my initial searching, what I can tell I need a minimum of 45 hours, 9 theory exams and medical cert. 45 hours here in Ireland can be done through flight school, flying clubs and also private renting if you know somebody.

I also have come across people a lot of people doing their PPL over in the states, mainly Florida. It happens that I have access to free accommodation in the Tampa Bay area whenever I would need.

My questions would be around the best way for me to get the ball rolling on building up my hours in my situation. I took an introductory flight about 6 years ago (loved it) but have not had the funds to go back to it until now.

So really I'm looking to know:

Good place to do another introductory flight lesson around the Dublin area at the weekend, willing to travel if needed. Can this flight count as my first hour?

To continue building hours, can you recommend a school / club in the area that I can start getting lessons with.

I would be keen to get the medical done ASAP to make sure there are no issues there, I believe the mater does a class 2 medical.

Is Florida an option for me to build more hours cheaply, is it possible to start training here, and take a "bulk" of hours over in Florida to help be reach the minimum needed, do hours transfer over or is it either or the other?

How are hours recorded, Is it simply recording in a logbook I have with me, or are these recorded online?

How do I register for a student pilot license?

Any help to get the ball rolling would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

It's very possible to finish a PPL in Florida within weeks and at less cost. The issue with doing it in Ireland at weekends is that it can end up taking forever due to weather delays and availability of aeroplanes/instructors.

A positive about flying in Ireland is that you'll get used to flying in less than perfect conditions but, in Florida, you'd get used to flying in much busier airspace. Ireland has very little traffic and controlled airspace. Have a look at a VFR chart for Ireland vs one for the UK,and you can see quite a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

username?! wrote: »
    I am not fully sure I want to change career's as of yet but I would like to obtain my PPL in a way that would definitely leave the option open.
    Your PPL is valid for life, even if you let your medical and recency lapse, you can jump back in years from now without having to sit the PPL exams or skills test again
    From my initial searching, what I can tell I need a minimum of 45 hours, 9 theory exams and medical cert. 45 hours here in Ireland can be done through flight school, flying clubs and also private renting if you know somebody.
    That's all correct, but the 45 hours must be 'training hours', most likely you'll be renting the aircraft from the school on an hourly basis as part of the lessons - they won't allow training in a privately rented aircraft.
    Good place to do another introductory flight lesson around the Dublin area at the weekend, willing to travel if needed. Can this flight count as my first hour?
    Weston or Newcastle (Wicklow) would probably be the most popular for intro flights. The flight will count as your first hour so long as it goes into your logbook (which you can buy from the school) and is signed off by the instructor who takes you up.
    I would be keen to get the medical done ASAP to make sure there are no issues there, I believe the mater does a class 2 medical.
    You can do a class 2 at a local GP if they are on this AME list - https://www.iaa.ie/personnel-licensing/aero-medical-section/examiners - For a class 1 you need to go to the Mater or Charter, who can both also do a class 2 (although more expensive). My advice to you would be that if you are considering a commercial career in the future, do a class 1 straight away. You are better off knowing if there's a condition preventing your class 1 before you spend thousands on flight training. You did say that you'd be happy with the PPL and might consider commercial in the future - weigh this up now as a class 2 will cost about €250 vs maybe €600 for a class 1.
    Is Florida an option for me to build more hours cheaply, is it possible to start training here, and take a "bulk" of hours over in Florida to help be reach the minimum needed, do hours transfer over or is it either or the other?
    For PPL training you'll generally need to do all of your hours with the same PPL school, but once you have your PPL you can hour build towards the ATPL anywhere - so yes, Florida hours are cheap and 'transfer' no problem.
    How are hours recorded, Is it simply recording in a logbook I have with me, or are these recorded online?
    Only a paper logbook, like this - https://www.pooleys.com/shop/pooleys/pooleys-pilot-flying-log-book
    How do I register for a student pilot license?
    Initially you'll register with the school only. When you apply for your first PPL written exams you'll get an ID number from the IAA which is your 'registration number'. And it's only when you finish the exams and skills test that you'll go into the IAA and get your actual PPL - there's no 'provisional' licence like for cars.

Best of luck with your journey into flying!!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭username?!

robbie1876 wrote: »
    Your PPL is valid for life, even if you let your medical and recency lapse, you can jump back in years from now without having to sit the PPL exams or skills test again

That's all correct, but the 45 hours must be 'training hours', most likely you'll be renting the aircraft from the school on an hourly basis as part of the lessons - they won't allow training in a privately rented aircraft.

Weston or Newcastle (Wicklow) would probably be the most popular for intro flights. The flight will count as your first hour so long as it goes into your logbook (which you can buy from the school) and is signed off by the instructor who takes you up.

You can do a class 2 at a local GP if they are on this AME list - https://www.iaa.ie/personnel-licensing/aero-medical-section/examiners - For a class 1 you need to go to the Mater or Charter, who can both also do a class 2 (although more expensive). My advice to you would be that if you are considering a commercial career in the future, do a class 1 straight away. You are better off knowing if there's a condition preventing your class 1 before you spend thousands on flight training. You did say that you'd be happy with the PPL and might consider commercial in the future - weigh this up now as a class 2 will cost about €250 vs maybe €600 for a class 1.

For PPL training you'll generally need to do all of your hours with the same PPL school, but once you have your PPL you can hour build towards the ATPL anywhere - so yes, Florida hours are cheap and 'transfer' no problem.

Only a paper logbook, like this - https://www.pooleys.com/shop/pooleys/pooleys-pilot-flying-log-book

Initially you'll register with the school only. When you apply for your first PPL written exams you'll get an ID number from the IAA which is your 'registration number'. And it's only when you finish the exams and skills test that you'll go into the IAA and get your actual PPL - there's no 'provisional' licence like for cars.

Best of luck with your journey into flying!!

Thank you for the detailed post. Good point about Class 1 vs Class 2 now.

Any pro's / con's on training in a flight school vs a local club?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭conork93

Hi There,

I’m actually in a very similar situation to yourself and am looking to start my PPL training soon. Also hoping to finish it in a similar timeframe. I’ve chosen to stay in Ireland and do it while working full time.

I would just like to chime in regarding the medical and say I’ve been to two separate flight schools now and both instructors suggested doing a class 2 initially and asking the doctor on the day, based on what they’ve seen, would I have any issues passing a class 1 medical. From this, ive actually got an appointment booked for my class two but am still second guessing as too if it’s the best option. Robbie makes a lot of sense with his suggestion to simply go ahead with a class 1

Any further thoughts on this? Looking forward to some of your above questions being answered also, and the very best of luck with your journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

It depends on whether you only want to go commercial or if you'd still do the ppl if you can't get the class1.
    If you only want the PPL as a stepping stone to commercial get the class1 and keep it valid. If you get the class2 you run the risk of spending the time and money on a PPL that you don't want because you can't get a class1 and go further.

Club training is non-commercial. They train you to the same syllabus but with the goal of having fun. Youll be expected to help out, stuff like cleaning aircraft. It's generally cheaper than a school and students might not be charged for briefings. A lot of clubs now train students as far as the LAPL not the PPL.
    Aflight school will train you with the intention of moving on to CPL, IR etc. They'll probably focus more on precision flying, students are charged for all the time that the instructor spends with them, not just in the air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭conork93

It depends on whether you only want to go commercial or if you'd still do the ppl if you can't get the class1.
    If you only want the PPL as a stepping stone to commercial get the class1 and keep it valid. If you get the class2 you run the risk of spending the time and money on a PPL that you don't want because you can't get a class1 and go further.

Club training is non-commercial. They train you to the same syllabus but with the goal of having fun. Youll be expected to help out, stuff like cleaning aircraft. It's generally cheaper than a school and students might not be charged for briefings. A lot of clubs now train students as far as the LAPL not the PPL.
    Aflight school will train you with the intention of moving on to CPL, IR etc. They'll probably focus more on precision flying, students are charged for all the time that the instructor spends with them, not just in the air.

Cheers for the reply, in that case I’ll stick with plan A as irrespective of passing my class 1, I’d still be sticking with a PPL nonetheless. Thanks for your guidance.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Wills21

Hi, just wondering if you started flying with a school and how you are getting on? I am in the same situation now.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭username?!

Wills21 wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering if you started flying with a school and how you are getting on? I am in the same situation now.

Thanks

Started doing my PPL with NFC and enjoying it so far. Good school with plenty of instructors.

Advertisement