Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thin Glasses for High Prescription

• 23-08-2018 2:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭

Hi there,

I had my eye on two frames in Specsavers, they’re not tiny but their not overly big either. I’ve a really high prescription and was told even with Specsavers thinnest - they would still look thick from the sides. My contact lenses strength is -10.5, if that’s anything to go by.

I was advised to go for the smallest glasses possible - but they look terrible on me and I know I won’t wear them.

I’m so disheartened by my eyesight - I wear contact lenses all the time. But would love to give glasses ago.

Any advice? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Fellow high myopia person here - there is only so much you can do with glasses. Go for the highest refractive index possible, the smallest frame you can get away with and go for a plastic frame with some substance - this makes the edge less noticeable. Ask them to polish the lens edge, which also makes it less noticeable.
    Or do what I do and wear contacts most of the time, but you have to be super careful about cleanliness, hygiene, not wearing them in the shower. if you are a bit obsessive they are absolutely fine. 10.5 should not look too bad though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

Hi
    Would you try another optician?
    I have super thick lens - I cant remember my script off the top of my head but I cant see a thing without them!
    The last time I changed my glasses I had nothing but issues with Specsavers.
    Picked out a frame I liked - eventually - their staff in Dundrum were being really pushy :(
    Anyway I was back and forth for ages with them as they were crooked/ sliding down my nose / hurting my ear a tonne of things.
    Eventually got sorted but I still feel the frame is too light for my lens.
    I moved job and went to a different optician this year to get sunglasses and when I was there she asked how I find my current frames and I explained my issues - she took a look at them and said the frame is way too light for my lens and not suitable at all.
    I said I couldnt afford to change them at the minute and the sunglasses were more urgent and there was no pressure at all
    Super helpful when picking my sunglasses and I am going back there when the time comes to change these lens.
    Just some food for thought!

Advertisement