Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 3rd striker spot

• 23-08-2018 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭

I don't know if it has been heavily discussed in the General Thread (I did not read it fully but over the last days I did not see a clear debate around it) but anyway I think this could be worth a dedicated topic.

I struggled all season last year to find a good 3rd striker at the right time. I've been choping and changing, missing out for most of the season on their good scoring patches. The only time I've been satisfied with and rewarded by it is when I went for the big 3 forward line or 3-5-2 formation (Milivojevic being my hero 5th mid :cool:). So.

1. What are you guys (and girls ;)) doing?

- Prioritising midfield wtih e.g. doubling up on City or 'Pool attacking midfeilders like last year?
    But then, do you go full premium in midfield in a 3-5-2 formation "ignoring" your 3rd striker (e.g. Fulham's £4.5m Kamara) or do you keep a 3-4-3 formation with only one premium striker (e.g. Aguero), a midprice (£6.0-8.0m) one (e.g. Arnie, Tosun, Wilson) and a cheap one (£4.5-5.5m)?

- Prioritising the forward line going with a big 3 (e.g. Aguero-PEA-Kane) using e.g. Pedro, Richarlison, Bilva as mid price mids and a cheap defense (I haven't had a look at it so don't know how possible it is to get this big 3 upfront with Salah and the 3 mids I cited with a decent defense).

-Balancing the strike force with a cheap 2 or 3some rotation (2 mids and the 3rd striker or just the 5th mid & 3rd striker).

2. Whatever your above choice (with the exception of the big 3 frontline and 3-5-2 of course) who are you confident going with as your 3rd cheap striker? Any candidates below the £6.0m mark? Any £5.0m prospects?
    So far Ings, Jimenez & Joselu have put their name on the scoresheets. Any other candidates? Do they have to be fixtures-related, I mean so far these 3 have respectively scored against Everton & Spurs, not the "ideal" fixtures we would consider for them right?)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

I personally prefer going with 3 strikers but nothing stands out so far for me as decent combo. Aguero definitely, but trying to pick two others is sticky at the moment. Auba hasn't scored, kane of course is fantastic but your taking up 12.5 of your funds.

Last season i think the two striker option worked well cos of some good returns from midfielders, eg salah, sterling, Mahrez, de bruyne.

It comes down really to players form, if the best high scoring players come from midfield then a 5 man option probably works best but of course alternatively you could say the same when strikers are banging in goals and go for 3.

Alot better posters on here will give better advice, but at the end of the day it's what works best for you, pick the players your confident in and work a team around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭Dearg81

Ings is a different class to all the other strikers at 5.5 and Southampton have created a surprisingly large amount of chances so far so I'd go with him for now. He would have got 2 goals against Everton bar a great save from Pickford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

Currently have Kun, Firmino, Ings

If Ings had been a Southampton player at the start of the season he would not have been 5.5

I have Ralls from Cardiff as my 5th mid and swap between him & Ings

Ricky, Mane, Bilva, Salah, Kun, Firmino start & one of the above 2

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭CSWS101

Currently have Aguero, Zaha & Arnie. Pretty happy with them atm but can see myself downgrading one of them for Ings.

My current midfield is Salah, Mane, Ricky, Micky so will probably use it to upgrade my def.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Started with the big 3. Kun PEA Firmino.
    Giving Firmino another 2/3 games before downgrading to Ings to balance the team. Unless of course all 3 are banging in goals in the next few GWs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

The only 5.5 I would consider is Ings - Id expect him to get over 10 goals this season if he stays fit and he’s one of a handful of players in the game who you can say is under priced and should outperform his price tag in theory.

I’ve currently got King and am considering whether to get Ings and invest in a little bit in a 3rd defender to go beside Mendy and Robertson or whether just to play Wan-Bissaka as my 3rd defender and upgrade King to Zaha. Zaha is the one striker 7.0 that I have full confidence in over the 6/7 gameweeks to get points - he’s Palaces main man and they have great fixtures - and I love have players in my team that I feel that strongly about as opposed to King, Maddison, Ings etc. My only problem is I’ll up with the cheapest bench possible to do it but think Wilf is worth it.

Mitrovic at 6.5 is the last player I’ll mention - again is Fulhams main man but fixtures are a bit more mixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Liam2012

Kun PEA Ings up top for me.
    Mane Salah Ricky Townsend and Guendouzi warming the bench. I play 343 usually. Happy to play Ings every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

I think there is huge value in a lot of the mid priced (6.5-7m) mids. Richarlison, Pedro and Mkhitaryan are all arguably under priced. Theo, Pererya, Madison and Groß all decent shouts too.

But I'm currently using the former three to facilitate two big forwards and one mid price as third striker. Triple A - Aguero, Arnie, Auba.

I still have a decent defence at that and could feasibly acomodate Kane in thus structure.

Ings looks a great option though, so if downgrading to a cheap 3rd I'd definitely go there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I'm Aguero Zaha and Arnie. Dropping to Ings would certainly be a helper for me and is a definite possibility. Wilson catching my attention too though. Gray of Watford too if he keeps playing. Zaha on shakiest legs for me out of the three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭Irish Raven

Im rolling Ageuro, firminho amd zaha...little return at moment from the latter two...but i expect that to change soon....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Just wildcarded and gone with Augero, Abua and Ings for all the reasons that have pretty much been covered here, I also have 5 good strong mids with no real bench fodder ( Gone Salahless so this was possible) so will rotate between 3-5-2 and 3-4-3 fixture dependent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,293 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Currently on a 352

Find the value really is in midfield

Up top I’ve Aguero, Zaha & Zohore (for my sins)

Went big in midfield. Mane. Salah. Ricky. Mkhi & Pedro

If Zohore keeps playing I’m happy with him as a fodder and potentially go Kane & Ings if Aguero gets less game time and Kane gets on it.

Again tho, find value certainly in midfield, then attacking WBs in mendy & Robertson.

So far so good

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I started off with aguero , firmino and ings and have stuck with the 3 of them. I'll be selling firmino after this gw no matter what he does. My choice will either be firmino to auba or firmino to Wilson, Jimenez or mitrovic. If I go down that route I'll be getting mkhi over auba. I'm quite fond of a one premium and two cheap striker structure and think it could be a good option this year. Of the cheapies I think ings is the standout option but compared to last year I think there are more viable cheap striker options. I could see Wilson, ings, mitrovic and Jimenez all hit double digits for goals. This strategy will probably only work if salah has another consistent scoring season. As with just 1 premium striker your captain options could be an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭Hogey007

I have Aguero, firmino & ings since the start too, Ideally it’ll be Kane who comes in for firmino, that’ll all depend on the form of both players and the likes of auba could keep Kane’s spot warm until he’s ready to come in but ultimately I just find him the safest in terms of reliability of points and minutes so whoever I have I think they’ll always just be a couple of Kane goals away from being shipped out.
    Happy to keep ings though and play him more often that my 5th mid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Aguero Arnie Mitro is my front 3. I see the appeal of Ings but time will tell if he's the real deal. It makes sense he gets off to a flier as he must be relieved to have regular football but will he maintain that enthusiasm or will it fizz out? I'm on the fence at the moment, it'll take some convincing for me to believe any Southampton attacker is worth investing in. If he keeps up the form over a decent number of gameweeks though then I'll jump on that wagon. One thing to consider is his price - while cheap obviously, it means less flexibility as an extra transfer is likely needed if you wish to change him for Arnie/Zaha/Mitro.

I like my frontline. Am very impressed by Mitro so far, Arnie looks the same Arnie as the end of last season (with pens in his locker), and Aguero is Aguero. There's great arguments to be made however for quite a number of mid price fwds and mids and premium defs though so it'll be interesting to see how it pans out. Many of them may end up with a similar PPG over time, maybe having one over the other at the right time might be the difference. I'm 3-4-3 at the moment but I have a nagging feeling I may end up switching to 4-4-2 at some stage. There's some seriously tempting defs this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

manual_man wrote: »
    Aguero Arnie Mitro is my front 3. I see the appeal of Ings but time will tell if he's the real deal. It makes sense he gets off to a flier as he must be relieved to have regular football but will he maintain that enthusiasm or will it fizz out? I'm on the fence at the moment, it'll take some convincing for me to believe any Southampton attacker is worth investing in. If he keeps up the form over a decent number of gameweeks though then I'll jump on that wagon. One thing to consider is his price - while cheap obviously, it means less flexibility as an extra transfer is likely needed if you wish to change him for Arnie/Zaha/Mitro.

I like my frontline. Am very impressed by Mitro so far, Arnie looks the same Arnie as the end of last season (with pens in his locker), and Aguero is Aguero. There's great arguments to be made however for quite a number of mid price fwds and mids and premium defs though so it'll be interesting to see how it pans out. Many of them may end up with a similar PPG over time, maybe having one over the other at the right time might be the difference. I'm 3-4-3 at the moment but I have a nagging feeling I may end up switching to 4-4-2 at some stage. There's some seriously tempting defs this season.

Agree with all of this
    I think Southampton are once again a FF trap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,324 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Quaner, Quaner is my third striker... so it's 2 up top at best. 3-5-2 for the opening games but at this moment in time, my moves are towards a 4-5-1 / 3-5-2. With my 2nd striker being Ings or Mitro and packing defense and midfield.

Just too much scoring going on by attacking defenders and oop midfielders. I can't really justify spending big up top if they're not performing.

All that could change rapidly though. But at the moment I'm moving towards this.

Foster
    Mendy, Robertson, Alonso, [Wan B] (Peltier)
    Salah, Mane, Richarlison, Pedro, Mkhi
    Aguero, [Ings] (Quarner)
    1.4m itb

Formation changes depending on WanB or Ings really. [Hope the different brackets are appreciated]

The idea would be to leave enough itb to get the best premium striker and only being 2 moves away from getting Hazard or Sanchez (unlikely) ... or any 9m plus into midfield if needed without touching Salah or Mane.

That's the plan. Watch it crumble.

I agree with manual_man re Ings in terms of transfer flexibility but not fizz.

If you do want to move Ings on it’ll take 2 transfers unless you keep money in the bank.

Preseason I thought Wood was the best 3rd striker option and if he didn’t work out it was an easy move to some other similarly priced strikers.

They are now out of Europe so he may still come good.

The one I would want now is Mitrovic but I can’t afford him as I’ve prioritised elsewhere so I’ve gone with Ings and I’ve no problem with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I’m currently on Aguero, Firmino, Ings.

However, I have £4.5m in the bank so Firmino will be moving to Kane or Aubamayeng next week as it’s not feasible to keep Firmino at his price when he’s essentially playing behind Salah and Mane as a midfielder and there’s so many strong mid-priced midfield options available.

To answer the question, I’m rolling with Ings as third striker. Ings underlying stats so far, although very early days, are encouraging.

If you were looking for a cheaper low owned option for the short term and to see how things pan in the league out Iheanacho isn't a bad shout I'd have said a good shout if Liverpool wasn't the game in between Southampton and Bouremouth 6 mil.

Vardy is suspended for 3 games and Okazaki is out with an injury atm so unless they play gray up there you should get 3 games out of him.

Just checked there Okazki is only a yellow tag now thought he was red earlier in the week so not sure now if you'd get 3 games or the full 270 minutes even.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Mitri-Aguero-Jimenez

And I'm happy with it at the moment. Maybe when Wildcarding I'd go Jimenez to Ings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,148 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

They are now out of Europe so he may still come good.

That's a tad assumptive ain't it? They still have the second leg to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

That's a tad assumptive ain't it? They still have the second leg to play.

Yeah I wouldn't rule out a 2-0 win at Fortress Moor

I misread a headline this morning.

Sorry people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Firmino, Aguero and Mitrovich.

Mitrovich is second only to Aguero for shots on goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

There's no value, nailed-on-ness or prospect of points at 5.0 or under in the striking position.

If Kamara (4.5) could nail down a spot then at that value he could at least justify inclusion as a bench warmer to only be used in emergencies.

So you have to go for the extra 0.5 to get a 5.5 striker in, where you start to get good value. Ings looked very bright against Everton and Jimenez has a decent goal scoring record when you look at minutes played so both seem decent options, and well worth the extra money over the 4.5 / 5.0 options.

But then, once you're spending 5.5 on your third striker, you can't go with 3-5-2 as your default formation (which I know many would want to do given the wealth of options in midfield). 5.5 is to much to leave on the bench with any regularity so you would need to rotate between 3-4-3 and 3-5-2 at the very least (if not just go with 3-4-3 as your default).

So if you're saying that 3-4-3 is maybe the best formation to go with based on the above, then you might think it's worth going above the bargain basement and considering Mitrovic, Arnie, Zaha etc... for your third spot.

It's a conundrum and an interesting debate, but it's nothing new really. It's always been incredibly hard to find any value at 5.0 or less in this game. Niasse and DCL were okay options last year but ultimately frustrated. I remember I had Diomande from Hull at 4.5 the year before, who at least was cheap enough to justify his inclusion.

TLDR: The lack of truly cheap striking option makes the desired 3-5-2 really tough to pull off long term while not consistently leaving large amounts of funds on your bench. Solution (imo) is either a default 3-4-3, or two cheap mids around the 5.0 - 5.5 range and one 5.5 striker rotating on two spots, moving between 3-5-2 and 3-4-3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,317 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Morzadec wrote: »
    There's no value, nailed-on-ness or prospect of points at 5.0 or under in the striking position.

If Kamara (4.5) could nail down a spot then at that value he could at least justify inclusion as a bench warmer to only be used in emergencies.

So you have to go for the extra 0.5 to get a 5.5 striker in, where you start to get good value. Ings looked very bright against Everton and Jimenez has a decent goal scoring record when you look at minutes played so both seem decent options, and well worth the extra money over the 4.5 / 5.0 options.

But then, once you're spending 5.5 on your third striker, you can't go with 3-5-2 as your default formation (which I know many would want to do given the wealth of options in midfield). 5.5 is to much to leave on the bench with any regularity so you would need to rotate between 3-4-3 and 3-5-2 at the very least (if not just go with 3-4-3 as your default).

So if you're saying that 3-4-3 is maybe the best formation to go with based on the above, then you might think it's worth going above the bargain basement and considering Mitrovic, Arnie, Zaha etc... for your third spot.

It's a conundrum and an interesting debate, but it's nothing new really. It's always been incredibly hard to find any value at 5.0 or less in this game. Niasse and DCL were okay options last year but ultimately frustrated. I remember I had Diomande from Hull at 4.5 the year before, who at least was cheap enough to justify his inclusion.

TLDR: The lack of truly cheap striking option makes the desired 3-5-2 really tough to pull off long term while not consistently leaving large amounts of funds on your bench. Solution (imo) is either a default 3-4-3, or two cheap mids around the 5.0 - 5.5 range and one 5.5 striker rotating on two spots, moving between 3-5-2 and 3-4-3

I am currently 3-5-2 with Kamara as my 3rd striker, and it's tricky.

you've to balance the fact that there's so much value in the mids compared to the forwards, with the fact that budget-wise, 3 strikers actually makes more sense.

the other problem is that there are no strikers to really speak of in the 7.5-9.0 range. So you've Auba and Aguero as obvious strikers, then Firmino at 9.5, then not a lot else, then a ton at 5.5-6.5 that aren't absolutely obvious inclusions, and nobody reliable in the 5.0 and under range.

352 IMO is the probably the best formation, but 343 works with the budget better. you've to sacrifice one of them IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Morzadec wrote: »

What I'm looking at is ings, Jimenez and Fraser as my 3 rotating attacking players and picking 2 each week. So switching between 343 and 352.This all depends on what happens with auba this week though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,509 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Mitri-Aguero-Jimenez

And I'm happy with it at the moment. Maybe when Wildcarding I'd go Jimenez to Ings.

Mine is the same and I’m not too inclined to change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

manual_man wrote: »

He scored ~140 points in the season he was last fully fit (for Burnley), if he got anywhere close to that at 5.5m its an absolute bargain.

Advertisement