Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Focus instrument cluster

• 23-08-2018 3:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭

My dads 07 ford focus instrument cluster is in need of repair. Im unable to read the mileage which im sure will not go down well come NCT time

I did a bit of googling and i could buy a new one online or brand used but i don't think its a plug and play option.

Also, Is the mileage stored within the cluster itself?

Anyway i found a place in cork that said they could fix it for €90 but id have to remove it from the dash and send it down.

Will the car work ok for the 2 or 3 days without it?

Or does anyone know if there is someone closer i can bring the car to get repaired in Louth/Meath area

https://i.imgur.com/ezT5T9l.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

I used kc systems to repair mine if thats who you are talking about in Cork. I just dropped the car off for the day and collected it. I dont think the car can even start without the cluster in it so would be off the road while being done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭duffman3833

Gavman84 wrote: »
    I used kc systems to repair mine if thats who you are talking about in Cork. I just dropped the car off for the day and collected it. I dont think the car can even start without the cluster in it so would be off the road while being done.

was thinking that myself but had to ask if the car was drive able or not

Yes im referring to that company
    I was in touch, very helpful
    Probably best to send if off rather than attempt a fix myself
    its not expensive anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭sundodger5

I would try to fix it. Herself had a load of problems with hers. Stripped it out. Reflowed the solder around the connector pins and it was perfect after. The original solder was pretty poor.

sundodger5 wrote: »
    I would try to fix it. Herself had a load of problems with hers. Stripped it out. Reflowed the solder around the connector pins and it was perfect after. The original solder was pretty poor.

how much was the screen part itself or did you get a complete cluster from a scrappy and swap??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,677 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I know somebody who had a Mrk 1 Focus.
    They got it sent to some place in Cork to be reconditioned but it didn't work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭sundodger5

how much was the screen part itself or did you get a complete cluster from a scrappy and swap??

Just reflowed the solder on it.
    different issues maybe. we had immobiliser problems and weird stuff happening with the clocks.
    depends what is causing the problem with your lcd i suppose but if it just all went out then it may be a connection problem

Nothing wrong with the car at all. Just the lcd has this black ink effect on it and you can't read the mileage so it will have to be swapped out.
    If i can get the lcd part i could try myself but do i get one from a scrappy or online?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

The PATS (Immob) system is built into the instrument cluster. The car wont run without it and you cannot just put one from a scrapyard in without it being coded and the keys re-programmed. The mileage assumes the highest value. If the car has 150000 and the 'new cluster' has 170000 then the mileage will read 170000 but if the new cluster has 120000 the mileage will read 150000 as per the original.

rex-x wrote: »
    The PATS (Immob) system is built into the instrument cluster. The car wont run without it and you cannot just put one from a scrapyard in without it being coded and the keys re-programmed. The mileage assumes the highest value. If the car has 150000 and the 'new cluster' has 170000 then the mileage will read 170000 but if the new cluster has 120000 the mileage will read 150000 as per the original.

that makes sense, so best option is replace the LCD on the current instrument cluster

Advertisement