Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need some advice on a horrible problem!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Venom wrote: »
    If your case has slots slots for vertical GPU mounting, maybe just getting a riser cable would get the GPU working in your new setup?

It works without shorting in a different build but makes a dreadful buzzing sound. Think of your typical coil whine turned up five times louder, can be heard over headphones.

Thanks, very interesting. Though couldn't they realistically claim that without the serial sticker I can't prove I purchased from them?

Do you have receipt etc. Be a harsh judge who wouldn't believe a one off claim

Do you have receipt etc. Be a harsh judge who wouldn't believe a one off claim

Yep. Bit disappointed alright as I buy tons of stuff off them.

Two way street I suppose. Given I buy so much I expected a bit more leeway but also that same fact means I don't want to burn bridges over 600e.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

Just an update on this, card is giving problems in every build, but because I accidentally removed the serial number sticker off the card (it got stuck to another sticker and torn off) I've been told zilch they can do. I now have a lovely €600 paperweight.

Any suggestions what to do with a dud Vega 64??

Sorry if I have missed it but do you have original box? Serial number should be on it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Inviere

Blitz17 wrote: »
    Sorry if I have missed it but do you have original box? Serial number should be on it too.

Could they argue thought that without the serial number, they've no way to know that the OP's Vega belongs to the box? Ie, that Vega could be any old Vega being used for a warranty claim?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Inviere wrote: »
    Could they argue thought that without the serial number, they've no way to know that the OP's Vega belongs to the box? Ie, that Vega could be any old Vega being used for a warranty claim?

Yes, there's noting to tie the card to the box unfortunately.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

Inviere wrote: »

That crossed my mind too. If the serial number is on the box, I'd print up a new label with it and stick it to the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Is it the merchant or the manufacturer that is giving you grief about the return?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Is it the merchant or the manufacturer that is giving you grief about the return?

That's a very good point. The Manufacturer is more likely to just honour it.

Both. The retailer won't take it back but they contacted Gigabyte about the case specifically but came back saying no-go, warranty is invalid and Gigabyte won't honor it.

Just have to take the hit on this one it seems. Not wild about it but as I said I don't want to get too shirty and burn bridges with the company over one card, just wouldn't be worth it.

Just flogging it now on Adverts in a working 1700X PC. Works fine in this build from a functional POV, just the coil whine is out-of-this-world bad when card's under near-full load....so bad you can hear it from about 15 metres away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Both. The retailer won't take it back but they contacted Gigabyte about the case specifically but came back saying no-go, warranty is invalid and Gigabyte won't honor it.

Just have to take the hit on this one it seems. Not wild about it but as I said I don't want to get too shirty and burn bridges with the company over one card, just wouldn't be worth it.

Just flogging it now on Adverts in a working 1700X PC. Works fine in this build from a functional POV, just the coil whine is out-of-this-world bad when card's under near-full load....so bad you can hear it from about 15 metres away.

Unfortunate hit to have to take but I guess it's a bit like holding a grudge, it eats away at you inside and the individual you have the beef with might not even be aware of it. You are as well to let it go and move on for your own sanity.

By the way, your honesty in the advert about the whole card situation speaks volumes about you as a person, fair play to you for that. Many on Adverts could take a leaf out of your book.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

You are taking it with very good grace. I'd be much pushier with the return process - but maybe that's not a good thing. I have to say this would make me think twice about buying a Gigabyte card.

Can you name the merchant? Even by PM if necessary. I understand if not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

how was the performance with that build before it went crazy?

Advertisement