Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unqualified Teachers

Options
  • 23-08-2018 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭

Just curious how common this is becoming in other schools? We had two unqualified teachers with full Irish timetables last year. Looks like the same again this year and potentially another Irish post unfilled. Three other posts currently unfilled as far as I know although two of those are still in advertising. We are a pretty big school

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I'd say it will become more and more common. We had a native German woman rather than a German teacher in last year. German teachers are rare. One of our Irish teachers left only last week for another job, it'll be interesting to see how long it takes to get a replacement. Physics teachers don't seem to exist at all, not for short term cover anyway, neither do Ag Science.

Teachers graduating with certain subjects do seem to have their pick at the moment.

However, we've probably debated this several years back on the forum. We tend to copy the UK, and inherit the problems which exist in their system. We tend to be 15-20 years behind them in the process. The shortages which started in the UK about 20 years ago are beginning to become more and more apparent here in certain subjects. Only we have a unique situation with Irish, there aren't that many graduates becoming teachers presumably, and it's a compulsory subject so we need every Irish teacher we can get. Because of the nature of it, we can't use foreign qualified teachers as none exist......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭doc_17

How can these people be paid?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

doc_17 wrote: »
    Through sorcery. Lots of ways to pay them eg creative use of s&s. Concession hrs etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭doc_17

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Through sorcery. Lots of ways to pay them eg creative use of s&s. Concession hrs etc

So they are being paid at unqualified rate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

doc_17 wrote: »

As far as I'm aware if the school can show they have no one qualified and have no alternative then they can be paid

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

No such thing as an unqualified teacher, you don't hear people talk of unqualified surgeons/nurses/plumbers...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

No such thing as an unqualified teacher, you don't hear people talk of unqualified surgeons/nurses/plumbers...

:confused::confused::confused:

Well you don't hear of them because you can't get a nursing job without a nursing qualification, but when needs must in teaching people are hired that don't have a PME, the teaching qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

Not sure if OP is referring to teachers who have a PME but not in a particular subject or teachers who don't have PME at all.

But the official line from the teacher's council (heard this from the director himself at a talk) that once you are qualified in one subject then you are officially recognized as a teacher and the Principal can put you teaching whatever they want (not looking for a TC bashing thread BTW).

I know I will get replies saying why are teachers looking to get a second subject listed on their cert etc by doing an extra post-grad? - its a bit confusing to be honest - you also have confusion by some schools / etb adding in their own rules also when hiring a teacher for two subjects. You also get the government supporting add-on courses such as Maths (as the media have a field day over so-called unqualified maths teachers in the classroom ( I know this UL course has finished but it was on for years).

I'd wish they would make they mind up which way it is.

Advertisement