Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Furniture Scam operating in North Dublin

Options
  • 23-08-2018 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭

Anyone aware of a Furniture Scam that is operating in North Dublin ?

Two men who appeared to be travellers called up to an elderly relative of mine in a big trunk this afternoon.

They said they had a new leather sofa that they wanted to get rid of quickly for a very low price.
    They claimed they had sofas left over from "student accommodation" that they had to get rid of.

When my relative told them she was not interested in buying a sofa from them they got very aggressive and then started shouting at her.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else in Dublin has come across these characters.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,352 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Wasn't there something on Liveline about this a few weeks back?

They ran rings around some old lady and brought her to the credit union (or followed her, maybe) and got thousands from her.

I only heard bits of the show so can't be sure, but it certainly sounds familiar.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I don't know if you would call it a scam. Sounds like a run of the mill trying to get rid of stolen goods.

They were also around Clondalkin village last month. Be vigilant.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭ShadyAcres

We've had them call to the door on occasion trying to sell furniture. Hard to get rid of them. When I was a young fella i made the mistake of buying a bike off them at a local market. It was a brand new bike. Rode off down the road on it and the pedal fell off. Fixed that but over the next few days everything went wrong with the bike. Brakes, gears, wheels all had defects. Took it to a guy who fixes bikes and he could do nothing with it. Fit for the bin.
    Another lad i know bought a PlayStation on donedeal. Met the guy outside the guys 'house' The lad took 150 Euro told him to wait outside. After 15 mins the lad I know knocked on the door and an old woman answered not knowing anything about it. The traveller must have cut straight through her garden and over her wall.😂 Loads more stories but is be here all day.
    Great bunch of lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

ShadyAcres wrote:
    We've had them call to the door on occasion trying to sell furniture. Hard to get rid of them. When I was a young fella i made the mistake of buying a bike off them at a local market. It was a brand new bike. Rode off down the road on it and the pedal fell off. Fixed that but over the next few days everything went wrong with the bike. Brakes, gears, wheels all had defects. Took it to a guy who fixes bikes and he could do nothing with it. Fit for the bin. Another lad i know bought a PlayStation on donedeal. Met the guy outside the guys 'house' The lad took 150 Euro told him to wait outside. After 15 mins the lad I know knocked on the door and an old woman answered not knowing anything about it. The traveller must have cut straight through her garden and over her wall.😂 Loads more stories but is be here all day. Great bunch of lads.

Tell them you are a Garda. This usually cuts the conversion short :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭AlanG

Sleeper12 wrote: »

My elderly neighbour had them call to his house while he was out and his slightly demented wife answered, they said they would fix the roof and proceeded to put up a ladder to the roof that was perfect. By the time my neighbour got back they had badly damaged the roof and were demanding €500 for the work.
    He called his son's friend who is a detective inspector and arrived in uniform - the "workmen" wouldn't budge and knew the law inside out, claiming they had done great work. Eventually they went away for €250 but it din't bother them in the slightest that a Garda Inspector was present.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

AlanG wrote: »
    My elderly neighbour had them call to his house while he was out and his slightly demented wife answered, they said they would fix the roof and proceeded to put up a ladder to the roof that was perfect. By the time my neighbour got back they had badly damaged the roof and were demanding €500 for the work.
    He called his son's friend who is a detective inspector and arrived in uniform - the "workmen" wouldn't budge and knew the law inside out, claiming they had done great work. Eventually they went away for €250 but it din't bother them in the slightest that a Garda Inspector was present.
    Why didn't the "Inspector" arrest them?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Careful there- impersonating a Garda is a criminal offence. Also its not a good idea to be telling criminals that you are a Garda- it might scare them away the first time but they could come back with something more vicious if they hold a grudge against Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

He should have refused to pay them anything its a civil issue.

If the "workman" want to get paid they can sue for the money which they are very unlikely to do because they would get exposed in open court.

• Advertisement

Or tell them you have covert CCTV which is recording their every move.

whiskeyman wrote: »

One thing I don't understand is how old people are taking in by these scams.

You think old people would have seen alot in their time and could spot a scammer a mile away.

Any stranger who asks me for money I automatically assume they are trying to scam me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Dr Brown wrote: »
    Or tell them you have covert CCTV which is recording their every move.

Be sure to tell them it's recording and uploading to the 'cloud' to prevent the wall cameras themselves or internal box getting lifted.

(Point to the sky to indicate that a sky-god-like entity is watching their every move, a bit like the one that appeared over in Fatima)

The numbskull probably heard a jist or two about about off-site cloud cctv storage, and may be enough to confuse them away into obscurity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

I've had similar experience here in the west of Ireland. Usually mattresses or sofas. I reckon their stolen, But you can haggle them down for a good price. For a nice single mattress for 60e nearly 2 years ago. Sense then they call every now again but they have never got aggressive towards me for saying no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Why didn't the "Inspector" arrest them?

On what grounds?

killanena wrote: »
    I've had similar experience here in the west of Ireland. Usually mattresses or sofas. I reckon their stolen, But you can haggle them down for a good price. For a nice single mattress for 60e nearly 2 years ago. Sense then they call every now again but they have never got aggressive towards me for saying no.

Did they drive a big massive truck ?

The Travellers who called up to my relatives house had a big massive truck which was very easy to identify.

You think the Gardas would have pulled them over.

On what grounds?

On the grounds that they were trying to scam an elderly person.

On what grounds?

Attempted theft.

killanena wrote: »
    IBut you can haggle them down for a good price....

About threee fiddy'. Here's a tip: don't buy (possibly used, and of unknown storage conditions), single matresses from unknown strangers.

Some suggest these folks are highly superstitous, wonder if a bit of random tribal chanting and shaking of chicken bones, or staring at them through large wooden pentagrams could deter them. Alot of effort but might keep them away for a decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,599 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

People calling completely unsolicited to your door to offer you goods, what could possibly go wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

What law did they know inside out ?

The cop is obviously a soft touch, very easy for a cop to get these type of scum to **** off.

yabadabado wrote: »
    What law did they know inside out ?

The cop is obviously a soft touch, very easy for a cop to get these type of scum to **** off.

Also no signed contact means the house holder doesn't legally own them anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Attempted theft.

Theft of what though?

Theft of what though?

theft of €500

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

trespassing, extortion, assault

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Wouldn't give the work men a cent no permits no pay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Same Fukers spent a month terrorizing old mayo people with the same tactic,

Selling couches and carpets.
    Eventually ran from the county

Wouldn't give the work men a cent no permits no pay

Or ask them to prove that they are "fully insured".

• Advertisement

Think there was a warning issued in the news the other day to be aware of these folks (traveling crime gangs) up in the NW areas around Dongeal or Derry.

Advertisement