Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motion sensor solution for dark 6.5M hallway?

Options
  • 23-08-2018 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭

Hallway in the middle of the apartment I rent has no windows and the only light provided is from a series of spotlights, the switch for which is not conveniently placed, especially for anyone drowsily looking for the bathroom in the middle of the night.

I have thought about motion sensing LED MR16s, but that would mean we could never just turn all of the lights on at once. The only socket in the hallway, is towards the end of it, and on a side wall at shin level. I was considering something like this:

Led Night Light - Sensky BS126 Plug In Night Light, PIR Motion

87fO69h.jpg?1

..but the range on that is only 100 degrees and 3 metres, so it would not detect someone walking from the other end of the hallway until they were in front of it. Unless there was something like a double adaptor, with the sockets on the side, and I were to plug two in?

There is a shelf in place almost directly above the socket, so if there was a lamp with sensor and better degree and distance range I could use that. I could even screw a lamp to the wall.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Mr.Beams Nightlights

These just use batteries, and can be mounted or stuck anywhere with included stickers. Batteries usually last around 3 months.

71JerLAwaRL._SL1000_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Davy wrote: »
    Mr.Beams Nightlights

These just use batteries, and can be mounted or stuck anywhere with included stickers. Batteries usually last around 3 months.

Thanks, these look great, and would work great for an en suite for late night bathroom visits.

I ended up going with the following in the end:

LED Night Light TeckNet Plug-and-Play Automatic Wall Lights With 3 Lighting Modes, Dual Motion & Light Sensor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭runswithascript

The Tecknet light works great.... once you are standing in front of it. The angle to the side is not wide enough to pick up someone at the end of the hall. I tested it connected to an extension lead while I held it pointed towards the end of the hall and it did pick up someone there.

The best solution seems to be to buy a second Tecknet, and use a double adaptor, but with the sockets on the side rather than in front, below, and on top. Is there anywhere locally in Dublin these are available?

Advertisement