Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you mind people figuring out who you are on boards?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

not that bothered either way , would actually be interesting if we could see who other posters were in real life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

not that bothered either way , would actually be interesting if we could see who other posters were in real life

From my experience s of meeting people from different chat rooms forums sites etc is that a lot of the big online personality s tend to be very different in person. Especially looks wise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Ilovethe bonesofyou

I've never figured out someone from boards is someone I know in real life but my brother in law was saying before that he figured out someone who was giving out about work the whole time on boards was a colleague of his.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Given the current vibe on boards, and given that I'm not an Irish national, I'd be concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Most people know who I am

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Shenshen wrote: »
    Given the current vibe on boards, and given that I'm not an Irish national, I'd be concerned.
    Any vibe is maybe five or six posters, so I'd not be too concerned SS.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Cleopatra_

Shenshen wrote: »

Oh it's ok, you're the "right" kind of immigrant ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Most people know who I am

You're that chap from France, aren't you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Cleopatra_

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    You're that chap from France, aren't you?

Belgium!! For shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Cleopatra_ wrote: »
    Belgium!! For shame.

Ah I know that, it is the usual retort in the TV & films about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Wibbs wrote: »
    Any vibe is maybe five or six posters, so I'd not be too concerned SS.

A vocal minority (or so I hope), but at the end of the day it only takes one person with a grudge and little impulse control. I do value the anonymity, I wouldn't be discussing things as frankly otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭IvyTheTerrific

I'd be more interested in seeing who the Walter Mitty type posters are really!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I'm Hitler so I'm well known

You're 129 years old! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭kal7

I would be ok with people working it out. Would need them to have some real life connection with me to do so.

The only people who know my boards identity in 'real' life are other boardsies. Some of these are close friends and a small few that I have yet to meet. The people in my life who are outside the boards community don't know my name on here and that's how I'd like to keep it. This is my thing, my bit of escape. There is no distinction though between meself here and 'out there'. I feel connected to account because it's me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

I've had a previous boards identity exposed, posts of mine printed and shown to many people in my locality. There's no opinion of mine that I share on here that I don't share in real life, however, I have spoken in depth on here about some very personal matters that I am very private about in real life and I found that extremely hard to deal with, wondering who knew what and all that.
    That was a few years ago now but it was a very difficult time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I would not like my anonymity to be scuppered. This is a bit like a diary. I've whinged and moaned here, expressed opinions I know wouldn't be tolerated by some friends or family, whinged about those same people, been really wrong about things but had the space to do that in comfort and had the space to admit my opinions were changed by others input.

I love the whole concept of anonymity, it's always more interesting to see behind the social constructed mask that most people wear to see the unedited highlights of what's going on in their heads. It's a real shame so many people abuse it...or that what's going on in their heads is so unpleasant and abusive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

erica74 wrote: »
    I've had a previous boards identity exposed, posts of mine printed and shown to many people in my locality. There's no opinion of mine that I share on here that I don't share in real life, however, I have spoken in depth on here about some very personal matters that I am very private about in real life and I found that extremely hard to deal with, wondering who knew what and all that.
    That was a few years ago now but it was a very difficult time.

Wow what a nightmare. I'm very sorry to hear that. I think a lot of people write things here that they'd never admit in person. I think everyone will feel your pain. A lesson to us all perhaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

I think I would mind if ppl I deal with in professional context could use the information I am posting here to profile me.

- while the couple of "friends" I know in real life from here: I am expecting any time they would start joking about some of my posts, or the feedback I am getting to my posts :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

I dare anyone to go right ahead and suss me out

Go on <—- there’s my general location... in fact I can almost hear the bingo caller ushering in another coachload of purple haired pensioners. Not going to take you through the keyhole but who am I?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

From my experience s of meeting people from different chat rooms forums sites etc is that a lot of the big online personality s tend to be very different in person. Especially looks wise!

Always had a sneaking suspicion that boards has many more female posters than male although there appears to be an presumption that posters who don't state otherwise are male? ...

Something like this ....

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

I know the username of a colleague due to some very specific posts about issues he discussed with me.

In fairness to him, all posts are about a specific hobby and are strictly business. No political views etc.

To be honest he comes across as an expert in the topic and helps so many others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Only bumped into you today you were in the newsagent; by the old iron bridge buying some chapstick but you kept your head down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

I'm Batman, so my secret identity would be exposed!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 vgf1995

think I very much value the anonymity!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

gozunda wrote: »
    Always had a sneaking suspicion that boards has many more female posters than male although there appears to be an presumption that posters who don't state otherwise are male? ...

and my suspicion is that you're trying to sway towards another gender debate :)
    but ... I think the AH gender coverage may possibly be the opposite to what you're suggesting // my perception that is.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I'd know or have met at least 10 different Boardsies in RL, and also have shared contact info with a select few as well. It's kinda necessary for the games we play on Forum Games, a game of Werewolf can involve several months planning that would pretty easily fill up PMs here in a couple of days.

I'm comfortable enough with people knowing my RL name etc tbh, like others have said I've absolutely nothing to hide. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

mvl wrote: »
    and my suspicion is that you're trying to sway towards another gender debate :)
    but ... I think the AH gender coverage may possibly be the opposite to what you're suggesting // my perception that is.

Nope - sorry you must be mixing me up. Don't do gender debates. The wife would kill me... :D

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

There are plenty of people, including non-Boardsies, who refer to me as Beasty when face to face. It simply does not bother me (although I fully understand how many value and wish to protect their anonymity on the site)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I'd love to figure out who the mysterious Aonghus Von Bismarck is in real life!

He's back AVB in action
    Star Bingo wrote: »
    I dare anyone to go right ahead and suss me out

I know you. You played the drums with the Beatles.

Go on <—- there’s my general location... in fact I can almost hear the bingo caller ushering in another coachload of purple haired pensioners. Not going to take you through the keyhole but who am I?

Joe Duffy ??

A few weeks ago I crossed O Connell St in Sligo with a well known boardsie. He was on the phone and I was in a hurry. So I left it.

• Advertisement

I really don't care. A lot of old friends know my username and it doesn't stop me saying whatever I think on here. I don't try to hide my Reddit or boards.ie accounts from my girlfriend either, though I do hope she doesn't wander into my Saved on Reddit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

1.jpeg

I'd say I was a year using this site before I signed up. Had a few threads in the Personal Issues forum, years ago now.

I'm not sure would i want them being made public, although it was mostly the mundane stuff that affects us all... I'd have no problem with anything else being found out, I'm probably as boring on-line as I am in real life :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Depends if it's used for anything.

Mod tools allow us to see posters entire life history. I'd never divulge that information because it's simply not cool. However, I make exceptions for this asshat

Ahh, that was soo funny in 2014(come to think of it, may have been earlier) good times.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Ilovethe bonesofyou

sligojoek wrote:
    A few weeks ago I crossed O Connell St in Sligo with a well known boardsie. He was on the phone and I was in a hurry. So I left it.

I think I know who you are. I seen you in liber a couple of weeks ago....

Only joeking :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Like most other posters here for me.

On one hand I wouldn't mind since most of what I say on here, I'd say outside. It really wouldn't be hard for someone I'm friends with on Facebook to figure me out. No huge deal.

On the other hand, it's nice to have that bit of anonymity, I like having a little corner of my life where I can give out about family or work without the people concerned reading on. :P

... or are they ??? :eek:;)

edit : actually I was thinking, since I self censor a lot on Facebook these days, there's a good bit on here that friends on Facebook wouldn't know about. I hate the self censoring, but that's the way it has to be imo. Again, I wouldn't mind if they found out, I'd engage in discussion here sooner than on Facebook. Self censor here too actually come to think of it. Not happy with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭ginandtonicsky

I had a guy recognise an older username of mine at a wedding. We were both half cut and would’ve been in each other’s circle from mutual friends and he had only complimentary things to say about my old boards alter ego!

Was a weird experience all the same. I think back to posting pictures of myself on those old “know your...” threads back in the day and I shudder.

Advertisement