Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hogget prices

• 23-08-2018 7:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭

Any prices for ewe hoggets from around the country?

Breeding sales should be starting now I would imagine?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭razor8

Bit of an open question but anything from €100 to €250

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

We paid 158-180

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

We paid 158-180

160 for but decent quality to 180 for more fancier ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

I sold forty mule hoggets last week for £135 which were advertised on done deal. Had six pens out at the mart on wednesday night and got from £142 to £128, which was realistically their price.
    I was at the mart on monday night and they were a slower trade, plenty of hoggets could have been got for £120 - £130. Good big strong ones were still £150.
    Given the numbers of ewe hoggets that were reportedly killed in the spring, I thought that numbers might have been scarcer and trade a bit stronger.
    Have another ninety still to sell, but I know they'll just not be as good trade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Blessington
    14th
    Suffolk x Breeding Hoggets €140 to €200 per head - only 1 pen made 200, next best didn't make 180
    21st
    Suffolk x Breeding Hoggets €140 to €180 per head

the 14th was the show and sale

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Bought IMO very good hoggets for €160 last mart... never paid much more for hoggets and probably wouldnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭Jimbo789

Anybody know how the hogget mule sale in Ballinrobe went today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Box09

Lambman wrote:
    Bought IMO very good hoggets for €160 last mart... never paid much more for hoggets and probably wouldnt.

Yes likewise, there is no economic sense to paying more for them.

Jimbo789 wrote: »
    Anybody know how the hogget mule sale in Ballinrobe went today?

Sale down on last year. A man that had 10 pens this year and last said that they averaged about 25 euro less . 180-140 last year. 150-130 this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭orm0nd

bought a nice pen of suffolk X ( possibly cheviot) hoggets for €136 at a local mart

well framed stylish sheep with great length, had no interest in buying but knew the vendor and they caught my eye in the ring

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

orm0nd wrote: »
    bought a nice pen of suffolk X ( possibly cheviot) hoggets for €136 at a local mart

well framed stylish sheep with great length, had no interest in buying but knew the vendor and they caught my eye in the ring
    Much the same as that with me I know men who buy lambs till keep over till hoggets and don't get me wrong there always fine hoggets but there on the best off grass and sometimes nuts... that's no good till a farmer throwing them back till grass they'll be the thinnest sheep in the flock come flushing time.

Lambman wrote: »
    Much the same as that with me I know men who buy lambs till keep over till hoggets and don't get me wrong there always fine hoggets but there on the best off grass and sometimes nuts... that's no good till a farmer throwing them back till grass they'll be the thinnest sheep in the flock come flushing time.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

orm0nd wrote: »

What part of country are you in?....I’m in north Leitrim,was showing some store lambs in Dowra last Saturday,saw nice good wooled Suffolk x hoggetts make 150 euro.
    Looking at them would say they were off Cheviot ewes,nice speckled heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

Anyone any idea what smallish lleyn hoggets are making ? Around 60 -65kg also what two year old Suffolk ewes are making with plenty of length in them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭OneMan37

PB Lleyn Hoggs can be expensive. I was quoted 150e for PB Lleyn lambs around the 55/60Kg mark. I'm guessing Hoggs of that size would be a similar price. I changed my mind and bough Hilltex ewe lambs instead of Done deal for 85e a piece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Was at the Special Hogget Show and Sale in Manorhamilton
    Yday.Trade was sticky enough except for the choice lots.I bought ten nice mountain cross brocket type hoggets for 150 euro.These would be hardy sheep....were a lot of similar looking hoggets there iykwim but they would have Milford breeding in them so I wouldn’t touch them...they look nice but are too soft.Best of Suffolk’s made up on 200 euro but they would run to a bag if you produced it😀....plenty of good strong Suffolk’s for less than 130 euro....they seemed to be hardest breed of sheep to sell on the day.
    Didn’t see them sold but best of Cheviots were great sheep and made around 190 euro I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭Jimbo789

How was the mule sale in Ballinrobe today compared to the first sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 donegal farmer

Anyone know what the scotch x cheviot prices r like ?

Advertisement