Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus query

Options
  • 23-08-2018 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I had to recently cancel a flight with Aer Lingus for personal reasons. As the ticket was non refundable, I was told I was only allowed to be paid back the taxes. I had also booked a bag which was 70e for the return journey. I was told when cancelling my flight that this was not refundable. This seems strange to me.

Anyone ever experienced this? Seems pretty lousy. They will get someone else to fill the seats no problem, very popular destination and I gave 6 weeks notice.

It's really turned me off Aer Lingus.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Will your travel insurance not cover it?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Its not just Aer Lingus, it’s basically every airline. Standard airline tickets don’t tend to be refundable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

dudara wrote: »
    Its not just Aer Lingus, it’s basically every airline. Standard airline tickets don’t tend to be refundable.

Thanks, I understand the ticket, but a checked in bag?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The checked in bag is part of your ticket. Why would it be more eligible for refunding than the cost of your seat?

It would be great if airline tickets were refundable as standard, but that’s not how the industry works and isn’t likely to change. Travel insurance is the best way of recovering costs right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

dudara wrote: »
    The checked in bag is part of your ticket. Why would it be more eligible for refunding than the cost of your seat?

It would be great if airline tickets were refundable as standard, but that’s not how the industry works and isn’t likely to change. Travel insurance is the best way of recovering costs right now.

Ok, I saw the bag as an extra to the ticket. I'll know in future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Bojill

There's not really any point in cancelling a ticket like that, they normally charge an admin fee to refund you the taxes aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

When you book a bag it always says that this fee is non-refundable if I remember correctly. Whenever I fly Aer Lingus I just get the ticket and then just book a bag shortly before check in opens, when I'm sure that I'll really need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Did you not read the T&C's of your ticket ?

Advertisement