Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you help out an addict on the street?

• 23-08-2018 7:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭

I was in the middle of the city today and I saw a bloke stumbling/falling all over the floor. A lady was trying to help him up but he was all over the place. I helped her out to move him to the nearest steps so he could sit down and gather himself. Long story short I noticed everybody walked past the poor bloke with no intention of helping him. Are we that far gone as a society that we leave people lying on the ground with no help? Would you stop and help or just walk past?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

When someone is that out of it, it's hard to gauge how they might react.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Wud definitely help someone if they were injured or a person was struggling with something heavy but when a person injects that poison or gets themselves pi55ed then I've zero sympathy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

When someone is that out of it, it's hard to gauge how they might react.
    Very true. I just felt sorry for the poor bloke. He was a mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

No, I wouldn’t. As someone else said, I’d be worried how he/she might react.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,551 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Unfortunately the only solution might be juveniles in China/Japan/Korea/India etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Fair play for helping op but when someone is that drunk it can easily go the other way, as soon as you start talking to them they can turn belligirent and get violent. That has happened to me before.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

No, I'd cross the street to avoid them. I'm not in a position to help them anyway, what could I do? Give them money for more drugs? :( get a slap? Get vomited on? Stabbed with a needle?

Nope, not a chance, avoid, avoid, avoid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Yep I’d help in such a situation. I’ve rang for ambulance on occasion as someone was in a really bad way. Total stranger btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭stevek93

I had a friend once at at bus stop who took a epileptic seizure everyone thought he overdosed on drugs he was lying on ground shaking and whole bus stop ignored him..

stevek93 wrote: »
    I had a friend once at at bus stop who took a epileptic seizure everyone thought he overdosed on drugs he was lying on ground shaking and whole bus stop ignored him..

You had a friend once at a bus stop?

Did you not get their contact details? Could have made a longer term friend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Wud definitely help someone if they were injured or a person was struggling with something heavy but when a person injects that poison or gets themselves pi55ed then I've zero sympathy

Ah yes, the luxury of ignorance.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

That’s pretty sh*tty. In that situation I’d be ringing 999 and trying to help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

I hear you op, it's a terrible indictment of us. Most people feel helpless however. It's a heavy burden to press on each and all people going by. You are looking on at quite complex issues and it's hard to know what to do beyond ring for help.

There was a chap on the junction of North Earl Street and O'Connell street a few months ago (no more than 27-28) who had pissed himself, was emaciated, and partially comotose. People filed past. It was terrible. But I was talking to another chap who was tapping for change and he had said someone tried to help him before and had got sliced across the stomach for their troubles.

Serious and significant problems right on our streets, what can the average Joe Soap do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,023 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It would really depend on the situation and where I was but I do understand why people don't step in and help people especially in cities!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭ginandtonicsky

There are so many smack zombies in Dublin that I'd probably not even notice tbh.

It would really depend on the situation and where I was but I don understand why people don't step in and help people especially in cities!

A lot of people are allergic to being stabbed by a junkie

Get him a job on RTE

They might still have whatever scheme that skinny heroin addict* Tubridy got in on

*May not be an actual junkie

It's funny you mention that, I've been diagnosed with epilepsy myself. Seizures are no fun and the first thing my neurologist said to me was people will treat you like some degenerate if they see you having one. Lucky for me when I had a seizure on the street I was next door to a hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

The thing to bear in mind is that, in the scenario you're describing, the state that person is in is (most likely) exactly what they were expecting/hoping to achieve. I've many friends in recovery from addiction to heroin and other drugs, and to be honest if they saw someone on the street in that kind of state, they'd often remark something along the lines of "That's good gear, wonder where he got it." :o I mean, they'd feel compassion and empathy too of course, but you don't smoke/inject heroin to get just a little bit high, or to take the edge off reality just a small bit ... you're hoping to get as stoned as possible, as cheaply as possible. From what you've described, the person achieved that.

I myself am also in recovery (alcohol was my drug of choice) and I do feel an urge to reach out to those on the streets who are still suffering from addiction; however I'm unlikely to engage with anyone who's obviously under the influence. I'd be far more likely to have a chat with someone out begging in the middle of the day if they're sober and somewhat clear-headed; at least then (if they've any interest in the resources available to them) they're more likely to retain whatever information I'm giving them.

Actually I'm often more likely to share some of my own story with them - I'm someone who's lost more than most through my addiction, but (through years of hard work and treatment) I've turned things around in my life. It can help people to hear that. And sometimes, the best way you can help someone is just to be that connection to the rest of the human race - to look at them and talk with them and interact with them on a normal, personal level. When you're on the streets and/or in addiction, you're often either ignored or abused, it's hard not to start viewing yourself as dirt, when that's the way almost everyone else is treating you.

So yeah, I've no problem going out of my way to help those in addiction, just not at the time when they're affected/under the influence - far more beneficial to try to reach out to them when they're sober.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭ginandtonicsky

Actually I'm often more likely to share some of my own story with them - I'm someone who's lost more than most through my addiction, but (through years of hard work and treatment) I've turned things around in my life. It can help people to hear that.

Alcoholism is no laughing matter. Absolute fair play to you and best wishes in your continued recovery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Yes , through work I've dealt with quite a few addicts overdosing , just one died.

There's quite a difference between an addict who's stopped breathing and one who is potentially aggressive .

It's takes a moment to check someone's pulse, breathing and put them in a recovery position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

There used to be a woman who inhaled aerosols under the columns at BOI college green...
    I saw her twice or 3 times rolling around on the pavement completely out of it.....one of the most disturbing sights ive ever seen.
    Everybody walked past and avoided......so did I, not many would be equipped to handle something like that, and youre putting yourself at risk for being good samaritan......a risk too far for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

It's takes a moment to check someone's pulse, breathing and put them in a recovery position.

and another moment to catch hepatitis

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭mrsbeebee

There are so many smack zombies in Dublin that I'd probably not even notice tbh.

I agree. People who are shocked by this must not see as much of it as us who work in the city centre every day. If I stopped to help every addict I saw between the bus and the office I'd never get to work. Also, if I gave money to everyone asking I'd be broke.

I don't have a heart of stone. I just can't help everyone I see.

I donate to Peter mcverry or other homeless charities instead.

Nope. Wouldn't go near them. Seems a grand way to get set up to be sued for something. Never mind, the actual real possibility of physical danger should they decide it's a good opportunity to mug me.

Nope. The world has moved on and helping adult strangers in questionable circumstances is just too damn open to being abused (legally/financially/violently).

Wouldn't hesitate to find the Gardai to intercede though.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭mrsbeebee

My husband worked near Merchants Quay for a while and saw horrendous things: an addict spitting in someone's face for no reason, an addict pushing someone in front of a bus that managed to stop thankfully, addicts trying to get into cars stopped in traffic. That last one was a daily occurance.

Nope. Wouldn't go near them. Seems a grand way to get set up to be sued for something. Never mind, the actual real possibility of physical danger should they decide it's a good opportunity to mug me.

Nope. The world has moved on and helping adult strangers in questionable circumstances is just too damn open to being abused (legally/financially/violently).

Wouldn't hesitate to find the Gardai to intercede though.

Sue you for what ?

mrsbeebee wrote: »
    My husband worked near Merchants Quay for a while and saw horrendous things: an addict spitting in someone's face for no reason, an addict pushing someone in front of a bus that managed to stop thankfully, addicts trying to get into cars stopped in traffic. That last one was a daily occurance.

Tough spot , I worked in it for years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

I think people are afraid to get mixed up in the world of junkies, they have very disfuctional lives that unfortunately you won’t change over night. They are in a vicious circle of fighting, robbing, begging, violence, injuries and convictions.In a way if somebody deliberately took powerful horse tranquilizers and passed out on the footpath, is it the general public’s responsibility to look after them? It is different to an old lady accidentally falling and needing help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Not a hope. 1. I have places to be and better things to do then help junkies 2. I don't want to get HIV, hepatitis or any other such disease associated with junkies 3. I wouldn't want to help someone who is costing me and you the taxpayer money and is a burden to society through social welfare, methadone programs and in many cases crime 4. I wouldn't want to be wasting the time of the ambulance service or hospitals at the expense of genuine people in need who worked for a living and paid their way in life and paid their fair share of taxes 5. I'm not a do gooder

I think I could spot the difference between a junkie who is off their face and someone genuinely in need who I would help such as someone having a seizure or a cardiac arrest.

I see your point Stephen but there is a few holes in your statement.
    1. Fair enough.
    2. The chances of catching a disease are very remote. You have just as much chance catching a virus from opening a door at work.
    3. Most drug addicted people aren't on welfare as they have been completely wiped off the system.
    4. It's not wasting the ambulance time, they are on call and it's their job to respond to 999 calls and the last time I had an epileptic seizure in the middle of the city I was 2 minutes from dying. The only reason I didn't was because another gentleman recognised it was a genuine medical emergency when all the people around me assumed I was a "junkie"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

2.The chances of catching a disease are very remote. You have just as much chance catching a virus from opening a door at work.

The chances of catching a disease from direct skin on skin contact are a lot higher I would imagine not to mention the potential for contact with bodily fluids. What I would be most worried about though is the potential for a potential needle stick injury which would be quite likely when in contact with a junkie.

I would also be worried about the potential for the person to become aggressive and potentially assault or threaten me especially if it's a junkie
    3. Most drug addicted people aren't on welfare as they have been completely wiped off the system.

Many are on the state sponsored methadone scheme. Also many are claiming disability. I use public transport regularly and see rougher types types and junkies getting on buses, trains and trams using free travel passes so they are getting something courtesy of the taxpayer.
    4. It's not wasting the ambulance time, they are on call and it's their job to respond to 999 calls and the last time I had an epileptic seizure in the middle of the city I was 2 minutes from dying. The only reason I didn't was because another gentleman recognised it was a genuine medical emergency when all the people around me assumed I was a "junkie"

It is wasting ambulance time. Ordinary decent people like me and you who pay our taxes and work hard for a living are being deprived of an ambulance in our hour of need because of junkies who choose to put a needle in their arm.

As I said I think I could recognise the difference between someone who is genuinely in need judging by their appearance and dress whom I would help versus someone who is a off their face on drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I saw a drunk passed out in the middle of a car park once. I was thinking of tapping him on the shoulder to see if I could wake him and tell him he should go somewhere safer but I was afraid I'd get a punch in the face or something. I walked on but kept looking back thinking maybe I should go back and do something.

A car full of girls in their late teens or early twenties drove past and looked at me wondering what I was looking at. They then looked down and noticed the man and started taking photos (or a video) of him with their phones while having a great laugh. I felt bad but they probably got a load of likes on Facebook so something good came out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Ill be honest and say no.
    I have little sympathy for addicts. I aleays thi k a person chooses that lifestyle (for want of a better word).
    Also would be unwilling to approach them for fear of being injured.
    My opinion and i stand by it btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,318 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Are we that far gone as a society that we leave people lying on the ground with no help? Would you stop and help or just walk past?

It’s hardly going as far as anything as a society when people have always done this. Would I stop and help or walk past? Depends on the circumstances - more times I’ll just keep walking, sometimes I might offer assistance if they actually need assistance. Some people just prefer to be left alone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Stephen15 wrote: »
    The chances of catching a disease from direct skin on skin contact are a lot higher I would imagine not to mention the potential for contact with bodily fluids. What I would be most worried about though is the potential for a potential needle stick injury which would be quite likely when in contact with a junkie.

I would also be worried about the potential for the person to become aggressive and potentially assault or threaten me especially if it's a junkie

Many are on the state sponsored methadone scheme. Also many are claiming disability. I use public transport regularly and see knackery types and junkies getting on buses, trains and trams using free travel passes so they are getting something courtesy of the taxpayer.

It is wasting ambulance time. Ordinary decent people like me and you who pay our taxes and work hard for a living are being deprived of an ambulance in our hour of need because of junkies who choose to put a needle in their arm.

As I said I think I could recognise the difference between someone who is genuinely in need judging by their appearance and dress whom I would help versus someone who is a off their face on drugs.

So much nastiness in that post, I'm 99% sure I'd be banned if I gave it the response it deserves. Anyway, a suited and 'respectable' person who collapses on the street might, for all I know, be an arsehole or a tax-dodger, or (heaven forfend) perhaps they made some poor dietary choices that led to their medical predicament. Would still do whatever I could to help, because it's not up to me to make a moral judgement on whether or not someone is sufficiently 'deserving' of medical treatment.

So much nastiness in that post, I'm 99% sure I'd be banned if I gave it the response it deserves. Anyway, a suited and 'respectable' person who collapses on the street might, for all I know, be an arsehole or a tax-dodger, or (heaven forfend) perhaps they made some poor dietary choices that led to their medical predicament. Would still do whatever I could to help, because it's not up to me to make a moral judgement on whether or not someone is sufficiently 'deserving' of medical treatment.

If you have issues with a post report it and a moderator will see what they can do.

If you have issues with a post report it and a moderator will see what they can do.

Does his post break any rules? I mean, I don't think it does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Nope. I work in San Francisco and if I were to stop and help every addict on the street, I wouldn't be stopping every block, I'd be stopping multiple times on every block. Plus, they're often very erratic. A former colleague once got punched in the face by a raving addict for no other reason than she happened to walk by him. I've seen them do similar to other random people. It's incredibly sad to see, but I have neither the medical knowledge to help them nor the physical ability to ensure everyone's safety. Once in a while, I'll buy a meal for one of the regulars near my building.

Does his post break any rules? I mean, I don't think it does.

I'd only really have issues with one word he used in his post to be honest and I edited.
    His views are common enough.
    Now I this isn't the proper way to do things by the way.
    If ye have issues with a post report it or pm a mod. Some of what you've dont would be considered back seat moderating.

• Advertisement

Some of what you've dont would be considered back seat moderating.

I don't see how finding an opinion abhorrent and ignorant (but not outside of the rules) could be considered back seat moderating. To be honest, I'm a little surprised that you would think that, what with you being an actual moderator 'n all.

I don't see how finding an opinion abhorrent and ignorant (but not outside of the rules) could be considered back seat moderating. To be honest, I'm a little surprised that you would think that, what with you being an actual moderator 'n all.

I took issue with this part of your post. If you think a poster should be banned please report them.
    PS, Get this thread back on topic.
    I'm 99% sure I'd be banned if I gave it the response it deserves.

I took issue with this part of your post. If you think a poster should be banned please report them.

I... um... don't think a poster should be banned. Nor do I understand why you might think that I think that.

It's quite late.

I... um... don't think a poster should be banned. Nor do I understand why you might think that I think that.

It's quite late.

Sorry,my mistake!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Funny you mention that because my sister and I were walking out of a shopping centre one day and as we walked past this young girl and her friend the girl just dropped to the floor. We ran over, everyone else just kept walking, she wasn't shaking but looked unconscious. We couldn't wake her and her friend was trying to get the unconscious girl's girlfriend to come out of the toilets. We were panicking that she had taken something and were getting her in the recovery position, when her girlfriend came out and said "oh, don't worry, she has narcolepsy". So the girlfriend proceeded to slap her lightly on each cheek and the girl woke up eventually. Probably one of the strangest things I've seen because I've never seen anyone with narcolepsy.
    Everyone kept walking by, even the security guard in the shopping centre ignored what was going on.

I'd help, and have helped, anyone if it was safe to do so. In a busy public place, I'd help, in a dark, deserted alley, probably not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Sue you for what ?

Anything. It doesn't matter if there's no merit to it. They can still take any claptrap far enough to cause hassle for you, and potential expense defending yourself.

It's for that reason that many doctors are unwilling to help people in trouble in public, or don't leave a name if they do. I know of one who saved a traveller's life when he passed him in a bad way and intervened. Cue allegations of misconduct in his actions that went all the way that a medical review board. Obviously the man he saved was looking for sone free money. Junkies are likely to be the same as they always need more money for drugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Unfortunately the only solution might be juveniles in China/Japan/Korea/India etc

I have no idea what this means?
    2. The chances of catching a disease are very remote. You have just as much chance catching a virus from opening a door at work."

I don't know the actual odds - but I'd be inclined to think this is very wrong.
    3. Most drug addicted people aren't on welfare as they have been completely wiped off the system."

Any junkie I know (and I've known far too many over the years) have all, bar one single exception been on the dole (the one exception was a woman who incredibly managed to hold down a full time job for the 10 years or so that I knew her, apparently without any issue, as far as I'm aware she's still working there and still a junkie, 6 or 7 years on)

I've no time for junkies but I completely agree. You could argue the same about someone speeding in a car, or playing a dangerous sport or anything like that. The ambulance is there for people in need, simple as that.

I have no idea what this means?

Youth in Asia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I was in the middle of the city today and I saw a bloke stumbling/falling all over the floor. A lady was trying to help him up but he was all over the place. I helped her out to move him to the nearest steps so he could sit down and gather himself. Long story short I noticed everybody walked past the poor bloke with no intention of helping him. Are we that far gone as a society that we leave people lying on the ground with no help? Would you stop and help or just walk past?

Would in my hell help someone who was out of their mind...

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Anything. It doesn't matter if there's no merit to it. They can still take any claptrap far enough to cause hassle for you, and potential expense defending yourself.

It's for that reason that many doctors are unwilling to help people in trouble in public, or don't leave a name if they do. I know of one who saved a traveller's life when he passed him in a bad way and intervened. Cue allegations of misconduct in his actions that went all the way that a medical review board. Obviously the man he saved was looking for sone free money. Junkies are likely to be the same as they always need more money for drugs.

Ireland has a " Good Samaritan " law , you're quite safe from legal action unless it's gross negligence.In fact it's extremely unlikely that traveller even got remotely entertained at any level

A medical review board is related to welfare claims .

I wonder if you are thinking of the medical council ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement