Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you help out an addict on the street?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭stevek93

You had a friend once at a bus stop?

Did you not get their contact details? Could have made a longer term friend

I dont think correcting English is the topic of this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Stephen15 wrote: »
    The chances of catching a disease from direct skin on skin contact are a lot higher I would imagine not to mention the potential for contact with bodily fluids. What I would be most worried about though is the potential for a potential needle stick injury which would be quite likely when in contact with a junkie.

I would also be worried about the potential for the person to become aggressive and potentially assault or threaten me especially if it's a junkie

Many are on the state sponsored methadone scheme. Also many are claiming disability. I use public transport regularly and see rougher types types and junkies getting on buses, trains and trams using free travel passes so they are getting something courtesy of the taxpayer.

It is wasting ambulance time. Ordinary decent people like me and you who pay our taxes and work hard for a living are being deprived of an ambulance in our hour of need because of junkies who choose to put a needle in their arm.

As I said I think I could recognise the difference between someone who is genuinely in need judging by their appearance and dress whom I would help versus someone who is a off their face on drugs.

Catching hepatitis or HIV from skin to skin contact is practically impossible , that ****e you posted harks back to the day when people thought you could catch AIDs from sitting on toilet seats or shaking hands .

To catch either from blood to blood or bodily fluids has to be an exchange of body fluids.
    There a very worldwide documented cases of HIV being contracted by a needle stick injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Ireland has a " Good Samaritan " law , you're quite safe from legal action unless it's gross negligence.In fact it's extremely unlikely that traveller even got remotely entertained at any level

A medical review board is related to welfare claims .

I wonder if you are thinking of the medical council ?

I'm not a doctor, I didn't use the precise name of the review body as I don't know it. I used a generic term for a body that would review medical complaints.

Protected unless it's gross negligence? So the person just says it's gross negligence and until it's disproven you have it hanging over you.

Junkies can also just say you were assaulting them, sexually assaulting them, trying to rob them. Regardless of the merit of their accusation the best case scenario for you is lots of hassle. Long story short, helping them unless it's your job is a mugs game.

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    I'm not a doctor, I didn't use the precise name of the review body as I don't know it. I used a generic term for a body that would review medical complaints.

Protected unless it's gross negligence? So the person just says it's gross negligence and until it's disproven you have it hanging over you.

Junkies can also just say you were assaulting them, sexually assaulting them, trying to rob them. Regardless of the merit of their accusation the best case scenario for you is lots of hassle. Long story short, helping them unless it's your job is a mugs game.

Ah , gross negligence is not just something you can say and leave hanging there waiting for an outcome , there has to be a significant illness , injuries or death .

Addicts can and do say everything , I've had it all said to me , nothing sticks.
    How can it ? If they're at the stage when they need CPR or Naloxone administered they're out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Youth in Asia

Sorry Donald, it's a bit early in the morning for word games. You'll have to give me another hour or so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I wouldn't help. I see them passed out almost everytime I'm in town and not once have I helped or seen anyone help. I have zero sympathy for junkies. Most people don't so I don't feel bad about it. I care more for an injured pigeon than a passed out junkie. It's just the way I am.

I don't know if it's the same person but a good few times I've seen a passed out junkie in a wheelchair in various locations in town. Most notably smack bang in the middle of temple bar. Great sight for tourists to see!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭valoren

Wasn't there a social experiment conducted where in scenario 1, an actor dressed as a homeless man, keels over feigning a heart attack on a busy city walkway. Most were reluctant to help. Scenario 2 was the same actor but dressed in a suit, the result being that people were prompt to come to his aid.

A sort of cognitive bias where homeless/addict = potential trouble whereas well dressed dude being 'one of us' = not trouble.

I'm sure the addicts appearance resulted in a scenario 1 situation and it's no reflection for a lack of empathy or an increasing apathy in society.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Not in a million years, and you can judge away.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Are we that far gone as a society that we leave people lying on the ground with no help? Would you stop and help or just walk past?
    It's called the Bystander Effect and it's a well-established phenomenon. One can certainly discuss why the Bystander Efffect happens, but making a simplistic diagnosis of a society "far gone" is silly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_effect

Aside from that, well, nobody knows how that guy got there, nor what caused it, nor what he's on, nor the likely reaction to somebody invading his personal space. Best call the emergency services and leave trained professionals deal with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,551 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

robindch wrote: »
    It's called the Bystander Effect and it's a well-established phenomenon. One can certainly discuss why the Bystander Efffect happens, but making a simplistic diagnosis of a society "far gone" is silly.

Aside from that, well, nobody knows how that guy got there, nor what caused it, nor what he's on, nor the likely reaction to somebody invading his personal space. Best call the emergency services and leave trained professionals deal with him.

Plus they're possibly dirty smelly refugees to Dublin. You know the ones I'm referring to. Coming in from hopeless lawless disaster zones like Athlone or Cork. Usually a quare oul' bang of turf and shite off them

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭The Bollocks

"Would you help out an addict on the street?"

I would in my bollocks. They made their bed they can lie in it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,551 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

"
    I would in my bollocks. They made their bed they can lie in it!
    You're The Bollocks yourself :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Nah i would'nt seen it too many times now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Personally, I have no time for junkies and would tend to steer clear of them. They're nothing but trouble.

There are people out there who need help that are way more deserving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Very true. I just felt sorry for the poor bloke. He was a mess.

You'd feel real sorry if he'd pulled out a used syringe and stuck in your arm potentially transmitting HIV or Hepatitis to you.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Keyzer wrote: »
    You'd feel real sorry if he'd pulled out a used syringe and stuck in your arm potentially transmitting HIV or Hepatitis to you.

Or nicked your bag - saw that on the Red Line more than once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Seen a lad on abbey street standing up against a post box facing on coming traffic incl walkers! with his mouth wide open in absolute bliss.. How do you suggest I help him out further buy him a solero?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Nitrogan

I'd bring them home give them a cup of tea and talk through their problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

Last time I tried to help an addict who was in a bad way, I was threatened by one of his friends while on the phone to 911, who said I had no right 'waving that fancy phone around'.

As a young woman who was alone at the time, it was a frightening experience.

Sad to say it, but I'd be reluctant to help again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Keyzer wrote: »
    I see your point but I've dealt with junkies before through work and I'm careful enough to stand a safe distance away as they react so slowly I could have moved out of the way before he got near me.

• Advertisement

I see your point but I've dealt with junkies before through work and I'm careful enough to stand a safe distance away as they react so slowly I could have moved out of the way before he got near me.

That entirely depends on what he's/she's using, and the state of his/her high/withdrawal. Various drugs can increase response times and hype up aggression, especially should he/she be under a cocktail mixture of stuff.

Could be one of those fast junkies like the zombies from World War Z.

Or nicked your bag - saw that on the Red Line more than once.

I'd rather my bag nicked versus being infected with AIDS/HIV/Some other horrible sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

robindch wrote: »

Kitty Genovese Syndrome for instance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Kitty_Genovese

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Depends, someone lolling around off their face generally no, as someone said it was probably pretty much their plan for the day.

But yeah if someone's fallen and can't get up or they're panned out across a footpath or in the line of traffic then I'll help them. I've had a few less than polite responses or someone who just starts asking for money but in the overwhelming majority of cases it's gratitude. Never had it work out where I felt worse for having helped than I would have if I kept walking.

Mind you I don't live in the heroin and horrible people hotbed of Dublin, that might change my tune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

There is a women I see asking people for change outside my local shop all the time. A few times, I've seen her counting coins and then going in to buy cheap beer. It is one of the reasons I'd rather give money to homeless charities rather then individuals. I don't want to be contributing to their alcoholism.

Regarding the OP's question, it may seem harsh but some addicts are also criminals who at best have been a nuisance to the general public and at worst have been responsible for serious loss of property or injury. Those are not the type of people I'd want to help.

I realize that some addicts aren't like this but as I can't determine who is who, I end up generalizing. It might be harsh and un-PC, but it is the truth.

At the top/bottom of grafton street where Molly Malone used to be, there was some guy completely passed out, slightly on his side with one arm stretched out. It was at about 6pm during the winter so dark out. It was very busy. The crowds of people walking past had created a circle around him. Not one person of the hundreds passing was helping. Neither did I, assuming someone else would.

I've always regretted that moment. Now I always stop to help if I can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Kitty Genovese Syndrome for instance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Kitty_Genovese

You should read the "Accuracy of Original Reports" section in that article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Not much you can do for someone strung out. that's what they want to be. if they're looking for money to get strung out again well sorry, if anyone is gonna get stoned on my money, it's me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Although I feel sympathy for these people under no circumstances would I give them any money - the money in my purse is hard earned and I would hate to think it was being drunk away or being used to buy the next fix. I’d rather by the person a warm meal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

I'm saving up the money I used to give to junkies and instead donating it to the re-election fund for President Trump.
    That way something useful will come from it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

If they were in a very bad way, I might help them and call for an ambulance but as others opined, you just dont know how they'll react. It would be a quick judgement call given the situation and the circumstances.

And I say that as an alcoholic in early recovery. I never give any money to addicts who beg as the money will simply go straight to feed their addiction to anyone giving money is just enabling them. I donate to a homeless charity instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Nope, wouldn't go anywhere near them.

Far too many downsides to helping and almost no upsides. They're still going to be in the same mess the next day whether you help them or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I think people need to educate themselves about the differences between mangled off your box on heroin, and genuine medical fits. I'm lucky that I can more or less tell the difference, having dealt with junkies quite a bit. I will 100% help someone having a fit. I will not help a junkie, as i'm no longer paid to. There are too many variables when dealing with a junkie, even with the stab vest and pepper spray/baton, I was always wearing around them. You got to pick one up, good chance you could prick yourself with their needle. They could turn violent in a heartbeat, or as others have said, puke horrible junkie puke all over you. Best part of that? If you have a significant other, you can't touch them for 6 months until you get the all clear!

So no, I won't help someone who injects themselves with poison. Rarely help people passed out drunk either tbh.

I think people need to educate themselves about the differences between mangled off your box on heroin, and genuine medical fits. I'm lucky that I can more or less tell the difference, having dealt with junkies quite a bit. I will 100% help someone having a fit. I will not help a junkie, as i'm no longer paid to. There are too many variables when dealing with a junkie, even with the stab vest and pepper spray/baton, I was always wearing around them. You got to pick one up, good chance you could prick yourself with their needle. They could turn violent in a heartbeat, or as others have said, puke horrible junkie puke all over you. Best part of that? If you have a significant other, you can't touch them for 6 months until you get the all clear!

So no, I won't help someone who injects themselves with poison. Rarely help people passed out drunk either tbh.

How would you know if it was fit from benzo withdrawal or an alcohol detox ?

Both a similar to epileptic type fits .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

How would you know if it was fit from benzo withdrawal or an alcohol detox ?

Both a similar to epileptic type fits .

The main difference would be the smell, demeanour and if i knew them, which when I was a Garda was easy. But you're right, it is hard to tell the difference sometimes. If I have determined if it's a fit, i'll help. If I don't, I won't. May not be always right, but at the end of the day, my own safety is priority. But, if i'm the only one around, I'll probably ring an ambulance either way.

Advertisement