Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen floor..

Options
  • 23-08-2018 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

We are buying a new house and deciding on the kitchen floor. It's a small house and I'm.inclined to keep the same floor in the fall, kitchen and living room to maximise space? Thinking about a good quality laminate -waterproof. Has anyone put laminate in their kitchen? Any recommendations? Tia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Tiled floor in the Kitchen IMHO. Laminate doesn't respond well to repeated mopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Tiled floor. It won't stain or discolour as easily when hot liquid hits it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Laminate in a kitchen is not a great idea. Over a short enough time it deteriorates from spills and cleaning, go for tiles, or, if you are undecided, a heavy duty lino.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

High quality 12mm spill resistant laminate. With a high quality laminate you’ll be hard pressed to tell difference between a real wood floor.

Don’t get anything Lino. It’s way to 80s.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'm with the tiled brigade on this one- laminate in the kitchen won't last the marathon it'll be exposed to.
    I went the whole hog though- and put large terracotta tiles throughout the downstairs (and kept a few boxes under the stairs for future use- incase the missus decided she wanted to move walls/radiators etc- and I needed matched replacements).
    When the kids were small- I over-tiled the living room with interconnecting impact resistant tiles- which were warm and easy to clean- but they loved getting rid of them as they got older............ Major downside of tiles- kitchen chairs or other furniture sounds awful- if you're in an apartment or a property with shared boundary walls, its probably just a matter of time before the neighbours complain about the noise...............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Tiles but for your own sanity don't do wood effect in the kitchen, they are a nightmare to keep clean, especially when you have children. I have mine down for 9 months and count the days until I can change them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Stone carpet. It's warmer than tiles and harder-wearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Had to Google Stone carpet, I thought you were joking ! What is it like under feet? It seems like thousands of tiny stone pebbles, is it hard to keep clean?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

I have seen 12mm laminate in a rented house last for the last 10 years even though there are 6 tenants in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭appledrop

Laminate is a no no in Kitchen. Now it's grand say on dining room part but not where you cooking cleaning it. Tiles all the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Muahahaha wrote:
    Had to Google Stone carpet, I thought you were joking ! What is it like under feet? It seems like thousands of tiny stone pebbles, is it hard to keep clean?

Nope, I have it and so do my folks.

Thousands of tiny pebbles is pretty much exactly what it is. It's sealed with a clear layer, so feels smooth underfoot, just ever so slightly more textured than tiles and it's a doddle to keep clean. A hoover and mop once a week is all it needs. I actually find it easier to keep clean than tiles as there's no grouting getting grubby/discoloured. Will put a pic of mine up over the weekend if I'm on my laptop at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

^ please do put up a pic if you have the time. Interested in this as I had been researching concrete floors. Also can you remember the ball park per square meter costs for supply & installation?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭th283

I’m going for a pergo vinyl in my kitchen there’s a 25 year guarantee with it, if it stains, tears, discolors or gets damaged they’ll replace it for free. They have it in tile and and wooden floor effect https://www.pergo.co.uk/en-gb/vinyl

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

appledrop wrote:
    Laminate is a no no in Kitchen. Now it's grand say on dining room part but not where you cooking cleaning it. Tiles all the way.

Had laminate for 10 years in kitchen. New kitchen family room also has laminate. No issue.

Must be awful for people constantly spilling liquids. Wonder if they have the same issue with wine.....

• Registered Users Posts: 36 BrokenWingz

th283 wrote: »
    I’m going for a pergo vinyl in my kitchen there’s a 25 year guarantee with it, if it stains, tears, discolors or gets damaged they’ll replace it for free. They have it in tile and and wooden floor effect
    We did this in the kitchen and hall more than 10 years ago, really happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

The longevity of vinyl depends on the quality of the substrate and of course the quality of the floor covering, however I wouldn't even consider it. Speaking as a tiler I don't think a laminate floor is suitable either and personally don't like the stone carpet but it is practical.
    Have you looked at any acid stained and polished concrete?
    Looks good but probably requires a more contemporary kitchen than the norm.

Advertisement