Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you have to pay for hospital stay

Options
  • 23-08-2018 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    It just popped into my head when I heard of a neighbour having to pay for a hospital stay and it made me think about when im admitted to have the baby.
    Will I be charged a daily rate for staying over?
    I am going public.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

All maternity care is free, inpatient and outpatient, as a public patient :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Hey,
    It just popped into my head when I heard of a neighbour having to pay for a hospital stay and it made me think about when im admitted to have the baby.
    Will I be charged a daily rate for staying over?
    I am going public.
    Thanks

Public patients are free throughout pregnancy for all pregnancy related issues including delivery no matter how much intervention is used and free for mother and baby until baby is 6 weeks old.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I think the charge is €80 a night.

Obviously I've never had a babby :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Yep for Public all is free, mind one thing they surprise you with at the end is that you need to get a prescription filled. Now not sure if it is everyone or just C-section patients but it isn't cheap and no-one mentioned it to us before hand. Think is was around €60 odd if not more. So be prepared for that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Milly33 wrote:
    Yep for Public all is free, mind one thing they surprise you with at the end is that you need to get a prescription filled. Now not sure if it is everyone or just C-section patients but it isn't cheap and no-one mentioned it to us before hand. Think is was around €60 odd if not more. So be prepared for that

Good to know...was this for meds to take home or ones that you took while in hospital?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Cash_Q wrote: »
    Good to know...was this for meds to take home or ones that you took while in hospital?

You don't have to pay for the drugs in hospital. If needed you will get a prescription when leaving. You will have to pay for these a chemist

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭The Megaphone

My wife is due with our second next week and the only things we've ever had to pay for related to prescriptions:

First pregnancy was an emergent c-section, so she had to take anti-clotting injections when she got home - think these were around €60.

This pregnancy she was diagnosed with gestational diabetes so we had to buy testing strips and lancets which maxed out the value of the drugs payment scheme so the monthly cost was €135.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

whelan2 wrote:
    You don't have to pay for the drugs in hospital. If needed you will get a prescription when leaving. You will have to pay for these a chemist

Ok in that case I wouldn't be surprised to be charged for this

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Only paid for prescription when I got home. I was sent home with a few days supply of painkillers.

Sorry should have said you don't need to pay for them in the hospital, but you will well if you want to get it filled and well if you like being prepared you will ask someome to pick it up for you or whatever before you head home..

Yeah it was for painkillers and this injection that you must give yourself in the morning... Nothing major but still a cost that wasn't expected

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Milly33 wrote: »

Possibly just csection patients? I’ve had two vaginal births and haven’t left the hospital with a prescription.

A normal birth as they mention to well the section births :) I just love the way they phrase things.. Just to make you feel special :)...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Digs wrote: »
    Possibly just csection patients? I’ve had two vaginal births and haven’t left the hospital with a prescription.

I had a vaginal birth and got a prescription for a weeks supply of difene and 100 paracetamol. I had an episiotomy though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

bee06 wrote: »
    I had a vaginal birth and got a prescription for a weeks supply of difene and 100 paracetamol. I had an episiotomy though.

Had an episiotomy and was only allowed paracetamol. Stupid asthma :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

Had an episiotomy and was only allowed paracetamol. Stupid asthma :rolleyes:

My wife had the same issue. Once they heard asthma eve. Though she's not had it in years they were like nope. Nope drugs for you. I nearly boxed them when she was in such pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

That’s horrific. I would have been lost without the difene.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

That makes sense! I didn’t have any complications or stitches etc so didn’t need pain relief for anything (other then general recovery!!). I did end up back in a week after my second with a cyst on my tailbone and got a prescription for difene. I would not like to repeat that experience.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Same here.Three vaginal births.Prescription for antibiotics after a D&C after my first birth, which I filled in my local pharmacy.Otherwise no prescriptions, no charges....

• Registered Users Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I was in for 10 days after a section on eldest lad, a tough time, I was given meds on way home. On other two paracetemol were enough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Vaginal birth with an episiotomy just a few months before you (my baby is 9 months old) and I got no prescription :( We got out of the hospital on a Sunday and were back in Monday, Tuesday and Thursday as outpatients for my son's jaundice. It was AGONY!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Cameoette

Vaginal birth with an episiotomy just a few months before you (my baby is 9 months old) and I got no prescription :( We got out of the hospital on a Sunday and were back in Monday, Tuesday and Thursday as outpatients for my son's jaundice. It was AGONY!

Oh no that’s awful! I had the same as you but definitely got prescription for difene leaving the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dbop2003

Milly33 wrote: »

OMG!!! Had three sections, home after three days all of them, no injections or painkillers prescribed!!! No DVT either ðŸ˜
    Just managed with paracetamol and Nurofen, was off both by week two

Advertisement