Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Green Card Lottery

Options
  • 24-08-2018 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Does anyone know if the changes to the US Immigration Policy since Trump came in have made it easier or more difficult for Paddies to win a visa to work in the US through the Green Card Lottery?

Given that he favours the 'merit-based' approach (whereby qualified Immigrants add more value to the country) over the pure Lottery approach (where skills are irrelevant), does that mean we could win more Visas than previous years under the current Administration?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Bradlin wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the changes to the US Immigration Policy since Trump came in have made it easier or more difficult for Paddies to win a visa to work in the US through the Green Card Lottery?

Given that he favours the 'merit-based' approach (whereby qualified Immigrants add more value to the country) over the pure Lottery approach (where skills are irrelevant), does that mean we could win more Visas than previous years under the current Administration?

Trumps plan (and i say that in the loosest sense) is to scrap the lottery altogether and introduce an merit based system as you say.

So in future one would not be just sending basic name, DOB, place of birth etc info in the hope of getting selected.
    Instead one would be filling out various forms detailing education, level of English etc. a bit like you have to do for Australia.

In theory it is better for Irish people as we tend to speak English and be well educated.

But when it will happen if ever, who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Mod-Note:

Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Didn't know the lottery system still existed, it only opens at certain times of the year right?

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

Trump has made a lot of statements about what he would like but it is all part of a major overhaul of their outdated immigration laws. Its like a hot potato no previous president wanted to touch. Only change so far is tougher screening for some countries.

Nothing has changed regarding the diversity lottery. Ultimately I think it will be scrapped in favour of a merit based system but for now it's as in previous years, unless there's a last minute change come October.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,157 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Trumps plan (and i say that in the loosest sense) is to scrap the lottery altogether and introduce an merit based system as you say.
    Trump's Immigration Proposal Would Eliminate Green Card Lottery. Looking At The Diversity Visa Program That Brought Him Here — And Its Fate. Latest update for 2019: Electronic Diversity Visa Lottery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Fathom wrote: »
    Trump's Immigration Proposal Would Eliminate Green Card Lottery. Looking At The Diversity Visa Program That Brought Him Here — And Its Fate.

Latest update for 2019: Electronic Diversity Visa Lottery.

Whist I disagree with Trumps immigration policys I think a points based system like Canada or Australia would be very useful instead of the Green Card Lottery. It would ensure skilled people would get in, I can see the Irish would benefit from a system like it since a lot of us have 3rd level education. Me myself I am lucky to have both and Irish passport and a US one which i got after been in the states a few years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,157 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

jjbrien wrote: »
    Whist I disagree with Trumps immigration policys I think a points based system like Canada or Australia would be very useful instead of the Green Card Lottery. It would ensure skilled people would get in, I can see the Irish would benefit from a system like it since a lot of us have 3rd level education. Me myself I am lucky to have both and Irish passport and a US one which i got after been in the states a few years.
    Less than 1 percent win the US green-card lottery according to CNBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Fathom wrote: »
    Less than 1 percent win the US green-card lottery according to CNBC.

That is why it is called lottery.

Advertisement