Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anxiety.

• 24-08-2018 2:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,023 ✭✭✭✭

I find mental health an interesting topic. They are various things people can do to improve their mental health and between word of mouth and the internet/etc and professional help. They are various things out there for people.
    One thing I find interesting is Anxiety.
    It's a term I've heard a lot about in the past few years. I'm late twenties now and I don't think it was really around when I was at school. Now young kids are talking about having anxiety issues and parents saying there kid has an anxiety disorder/etc.(I'd often question these being properly diagnosed)
    I would have being considered to to be a shy child but teachers always encouraged me. Encouraged me to read allowed/do plays/etc and I feel it really benefited me. Now I fully understand this wouldn't work for everybody but I have noticed kids/teenagers back out of things due to anxiety issues now.
    Could this have an effect on their future?

Now I fully understand anxiety can be crippling for people and they need support but I think it's important we get the right balance between every day worries and major anxiety issues and try and help people with these issues.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,318 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I’d imagine so, although whether it has a positive or negative effect is anyone’s guess really.

• Site Banned Posts: 55 ✭✭Candyshell

A lot of the time people don't actually have anxiety issues, they think because they get anxiety they have an issue. People are supposed to feel anxious at times, it's a normal emotion, there is something wrong if you don't feel anxiety occasionally.

Avoiding emotions such as anxiety is the real problem, I think that can actually cause depression and other problems. Being addicted to pleasure can cause problems too.

If you want to be happy seek out anxiety inducing situations occasionally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

One of my friends suffers really badly with anxiety, it's really impacted her life. She's on meds now and they seem to take the edge off.

I get bouts of it like everyone. I had it a few weeks ago, nothing troubling me at all but Jesus it was bad. I could barely function, my head wasn't right, physically I was practically shaking, nauseous, getting pains, sinking feeling in my heart. I can't imagine what that's like almost constantly

Edit- I spent 8 years on anti depressants and only came off them about 4 months ago. So I guess I'm just feeling stuff now. Never had an issue with anxiety before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Getting medication or support through the hse is a nightmare added to any preexisting medical conditions or subsequent underlying conditions and youre ducked with a capital F not to mention the waiting lists to get on to the waiting list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

From experience and what I see, I think anxiety is sharply on the rise. Life is a bit more complex these days, people are putting a lot of pressure on themselves to meet societal expectations as opposed to simpler times.

In the workplace, many nowadays provide staff with laptops and phones resulting in them being "always on" and feeling they need to meet unrealistic deadlines set out by their employer. Another thing on the increase is lack of job security with many roles now being temp fixed term contracts instead of salaried positions like in times gone by.

I could go on but I feel there is a so much in modern day life that can trigger anxiety as opposed to past times.

Here's an alarming survey published recently: http://www.thejournal.ie/mental-health-workplace-survey-4080568-Jun2018/

I recently jacked in corporate life in favour of a job that I don't bring my work home, provides satisfaction and a sense of achievement of a job well done at the end of each day. There's a lot to be said for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,023 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Yes I'd agree about modern day life causing axiently for young people.
    Even outside work the pressure to look good all the time is another issue people face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭The Student

We seem to have become over materialist and rather than saying no to people we don't want to upset people. This then results in people not having the ability to accept failure.

I am in my late forties and growing up I always remembered playing sport, which if you were good enough you got picked for the team if you were not you were not picked. Some teams I got picked for some I did not. If you won you got a medal if you did not win you did not get a medal.

Nowadays it seems to be that everybody gets a medal for competing. People don't seem to be able to cope with failure now which leads to anxiety. Failure is a part of life and learning to deal with failure is also a part of life.

I know I might sound old but some of the youth of today and the twentysomethings don't appear to have the ability to accept failure and accept that you can't be good at everything which in my view adds to their feelings of anxiety.

People don't appear to be living as the unique individuals we all are rather they feel they need to aspire to unrealistic expectations with the perfect body, perfect hair etc.

If we learn to accept ourselves and who we are then I feel anxiety levels would decrease.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

I am someone who suffers from chronic anxiety and insomnia, both stemming from childhood. I have spent years of my adult life and an absolute fortune trying to resolve them. I relied on the mental health services from the State for a bit in my 20s and they are a disaster, so I'm lucky to have been in a position to pay towards my own care.

Something I realised recently is that mental health and coping skills to deal with the everyday pressures of life were not something that was ever addressed within my family or through education. I imagine if these issues were taken seriously in young children and teenagers, there would be a lot less adults with chronic anxiety as adults, constantly trying to undo the habits of a lifetime. It's so difficult to escape when you literally have no experience of feeling any other way.

PS: Given I'm older than you FPC, I can assure you that anxiety did exist when you were in school. Me and others like me just wouldn't have had the vocabulary or knowledge to explain what was going on behind the scenes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Bootlegger wrote: »
    Seems to be a women's problem.
    You're thinking of hysteria.

Bootlegger wrote: »
    Seems to be a women's problem.

Yup. Explains why suicide rates among males are so high...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭recyclops

We seem to have become over materialist and rather than saying no to people we don't want to upset people. This then results in people not having the ability to accept failure.

I am in my late forties and growing up I always remembered playing sport, which if you were good enough you got picked for the team if you were not you were not picked. Some teams I got picked for some I did not. If you won you got a medal if you did not win you did not get a medal.

Nowadays it seems to be that everybody gets a medal for competing. People don't seem to be able to cope with failure now which leads to anxiety. Failure is a part of life and learning to deal with failure is also a part of life.

I know I might sound old but some of the youth of today and the twentysomethings don't appear to have the ability to accept failure and accept that you can't be good at everything which in my view adds to their feelings of anxiety.

People don't appear to be living as the unique individuals we all are rather they feel they need to aspire to unrealistic expectations with the perfect body, perfect hair etc.

If we learn to accept ourselves and who we are then I feel anxiety levels would decrease.

This firmly hits the nail on the head, we are moving to a society with a low responsibility level.

I've friends who work in secondary schools and they are worried with how lenient they need to be with students in class and then discussing how poor students are in class with parents as they almost refuse to accept their kid is not perfect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

When I wake up in the morning the first thing I do is smile. To get it over with.

recyclops wrote: »
    This firmly hits the nail on the head, we are moving to a society with a low responsibility level.

I've friends who work in secondary schools and they are worried with how lenient they need to be with students in class and then discussing how poor students are in class with parents as they almost refuse to accept their kid is not perfect

When I was in school I generally tried my best but I knew my capabilities.
    I went to school with one lad who was sort of wrapped up and encouraged to apply for college courses that he'd never get enough points for.

I agree with a lot of what The Student has said when it comes to fear of failure. In my experience, fear of failure has brought me to the point of fear of even trying. And I'm an 80s kid, so didn't even have to deal with the 'medals for all' and 'instaglam' culture that kids have to navigate now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

I've GAD - Generalised Anxiety Disorder. SSRIs are needed in times of extreme stress (when my dad got sick; times when work is bad etc) but generally speaking I lucked out if that is all Ill have to endure mentally.

What boils my p**s is seeing people say "I have anxiety" when you mean "worried or concerned".

It leads to people not taking the condition seriously and believe me there are 90% eo have my condition (and others) and are way worse off.

I've always experienced periods of anxiety about things that most people seem to breeze through. And the important part though is the seem to. We assume that others are fine with things because we can't see inside their heads compared to our own experiences.

When I was younger, I got depressed a lot, had insomnia, and anxiety issues. I went to a variety of pschologists about them, got assigned a variety of drugs/treatments, and none of them 'cured' the problems. If anything, while my issues would subside for a few weeks or so, they'd come back twice as bad as before, which meant getting stronger treatments later.

Now in my 40s I'm stress free. Very little anxiety. I get bouts of depression about twice a year where I cut out all external stimulus for a day or so, and I'm fine. No drugs, no treatments.

The important part is to realise that you have control over your mental/emotional state. That caring too much about what other people think is destructive. That it's good to be selfish. That it's vitally important to limit access to social media, or articles about other peoples problems. Meditation also worked wonders although I haven't felt the need for it in years now. Resolving my problems with anxiety/depression, was a journey of learning, and trying different things for myself. I did them. They weren't assigned to me, and so, I had control over what was happening.

Now in terms of anxiety and modern society, I feel that people encourage anxiety and depression in themselves/others. All of these "conditions" that have been identified in recent decades provide an excuse to not deal with the emotional state. I have X problem, it's recognised as a problem, and I'm waiting for my doctor to "fix" me. And when the doctors fail, it worsens the state because somehow the majority of others are getting better but I'm not. My state is worse. etc etc.

When you give importance/focus to a problem like anxiety, you give it energy to grow. It's as simple as that. There's is far too much pandering to emotional problems, and actual encouragement to develop problems. It's utterly bizarre, and it's going to become far more commonplace as Psychology gains more influence, and the connection with Pharmaceutical companies grows.... Mental health is big money.

Dealing with anxiety or depression requires commitment, discipline, and the actual desire to improve. People want the quick fix. The magic pill to remove all negativity. I've seen nothing and I haven't heard of anyone solving their problems in such a manner. Anyone I know (and I'm part of various support groups) have managed to deal with their issues through meditation, physical exercise, visualisation techniques, positive anchoring, mirror affirmations, etc. And it took time to do. No drugs. No medicine.

myshirt wrote: »
    When I wake up in the morning the first thing I do is smile..

Ditto. I also jump out of bed immediately so that I'm enthusiastic for the day. I don't allow myself to lay in bed since it's counter-productive. I also change my habits every morning, so I'm not stuck in a routine. I try to spice up my mornings with something new or fun, so that I have some positive energy right from the beginning.

But the smile in the morning is incredibly important. I also thank "the universe" for something before I sleep and after I wake up. :D It all contributes to a better state

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

I find the worst part is how self-fulfilling it is.

Feel anxious, but I "shouldnt" – I have a good job, married, with a kid, and happy with where I live. But anxious I'm doing it wrong, don't deserve it, or I'll lose it all. Feel like a fraud. I shouldn't have these things. Worry that I shouldnt be feeling that way. Worry that I worry that I shouldnt be feeling that way. Repeat.

Mix in the stupid everyday stuff. Early for work every day because I cant sleep. Worry there'll be traffic. Worry I'll get a puncture. Or some random delay. Rush home from work. Tired. So tired. Into bed at 10, brain starts its engines til 1 or 2am. Repeat.

Can't enjoy anything because I'm so desperate for it to be over. No idea why, just feel this need to get things done, like I'm on edge 24/7. Take a lot of inspiration from my wife and kid who would happily sit on a beach and just look at the sea. I'd look, think "ok thats done, whats next?" I would love to be able to allow myself to do that. But it's like I just can't, feel guilty I guess.

However - if anyone was to see my filtered life, i.e. my social media life, aka "the highlights reel", they wouldn't see any of this at all. Just wish I could bring that highlights reel to the forefront of my mind, and appreciate it more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Ditto. I also jump out of bed immediately so that I'm enthusiastic for the day. I don't allow myself to lay in bed since it's counter-productive. I also change my habits every morning, so I'm not stuck in a routine. I try to spice up my mornings with something new or fun, so that I have some positive energy right from the beginning.

But the smile in the morning is incredibly important. I also thank "the universe" for something before I sleep and after I wake up. :D It all contributes to a better state
    myshirt wrote: »
    When I wake up in the morning the first thing I do is smile. To get it over with.

I think leaving out the last line of the original quote altered its meaning. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think myshirt smiling in the morning is for the same reason as you smile in the morning.

I think leaving out the last line of the original quote altered its meaning. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think myshirt smiling in the morning is for the same reason as you smile in the morning.

I know. That's why I removed it. No need to promote negativity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

I used to have terrible anxiety when I was 17 or 18, but it wasn't such a phenomenon back then. I'm only talking back in 2006 by the way, not the 80s, but I am confident that my past anxiety could save mine or someone else's life one day.

Reason being, I used to obsess over cancer and I had most of them at one stage or the other. I mean, I didn't really have them, but an official diagnosis wouldn't have made me any more sure than I already was. The mind is a funny thing.

I wasn't a hypochondriac, though I guess it was a similar thing. Anywho, I have retained a lot of information about the stuff that I have read. I have retained the symptoms, the incidence and the prognosis of various cancers. I don't take pride in that, because it's unusual for a fella of my age to know so much morbid stuff, but on the plus side I think all this information could come in handy at some point in the future.

I won't ignore something that others might feel is a trivial and insignificant complaint if they noticed it in/on themselves. I might hear alarm bells quicker than someone with less comprehensive knowledge of this sh*te, and timing is key to survival with quite a lot of illnesses.

It's such a horrible, horrible experience to be an 18-year-old and genuinely believe that you have lung cancer, but every episode - and there were a lot of them - will be so worth it if my time spent on WebMD helps prolong a life somewhere down the line.

Feel anxious, but I "shouldnt" – I have a good job, married, with a kid, and happy with where I live. But anxious I'm doing it wrong, don't deserve it, or I'll lose it all. Feel like a fraud. I shouldn't have these things. Worry that I shouldnt be feeling that way. Worry that I worry that I shouldnt be feeling that way. Repeat.

Mix in the stupid everyday stuff. Early for work every day because I cant sleep. Worry there'll be traffic. Worry I'll get a puncture. Or some random delay. Rush home from work. Tired. So tired. Into bed at 10, brain starts its engines til 1 or 2am. Repeat.

Can't enjoy anything because I'm so desperate for it to be over. No idea why, just feel this need to get things done, like I'm on edge 24/7. Take a lot of inspiration from my wife and kid who would happily sit on a beach and just look at the sea. I'd look, think "ok thats done, whats next?" I would love to be able to allow myself to do that. But it's like I just can't, feel guilty I guess.

However - if anyone was to see my filtered life, i.e. my social media life, aka "the highlights reel", they wouldn't see any of this at all. Just wish I could bring that highlights reel to the forefront of my mind, and appreciate it more.

That's hit on a lot of the reasons why only my best friend and one or two others know about my GAD.

I'm not ashamed of having it but if I post on social media that I'm so happy my team has won, or I won 30 quid on the lotto - there's bound to be someone going "you don't seem depressed" .

Life is too short for those who don't/won't understand.

That's hit on a lot of the reasons why only my best friend and one or two others know about my GAD.

I'm not ashamed of having it but if I post on social media that I'm so happy my team has won, or I won 30 quid on the lotto - there's bound to be someone going "you don't seem depressed" .

Life is too short for those who don't/won't understand.

Sure you've no reason to be depressed! :rolleyes:

Sure you've no reason to be depressed! :rolleyes:

I remember telling someone the late Duke of Westminster was on antidepressants.

"But he has billions ??!"

Yeah. Still wants to kill himself.

Lack of understanding of mental health conditions is the biggest barrier to be faced sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Now in my 40s I'm stress free. Very little anxiety. I get bouts of depression about twice a year where I cut out all external stimulus for a day or so, and I'm fine. No drugs, no treatments.

The important part is to realise that you have control over your mental/emotional state. That caring too much about what other people think is destructive. That it's good to be selfish. That it's vitally important to limit access to social media, or articles about other peoples problems. Meditation also worked wonders although I haven't felt the need for it in years now. Resolving my problems with anxiety/depression, was a journey of learning, and trying different things for myself. I did them. They weren't assigned to me, and so, I had control over what was happening.

Now in terms of anxiety and modern society, I feel that people encourage anxiety and depression in themselves/others. All of these "conditions" that have been identified in recent decades provide an excuse to not deal with the emotional state. I have X problem, it's recognised as a problem, and I'm waiting for my doctor to "fix" me. And when the doctors fail, it worsens the state because somehow the majority of others are getting better but I'm not. My state is worse. etc etc.

When you give importance/focus to a problem like anxiety, you give it energy to grow. It's as simple as that. There's is far too much pandering to emotional problems, and actual encouragement to develop problems. It's utterly bizarre, and it's going to become far more commonplace as Psychology gains more influence, and the connection with Pharmaceutical companies grows.... Mental health is big money.

Dealing with anxiety or depression requires commitment, discipline, and the actual desire to improve. People want the quick fix. The magic pill to remove all negativity. I've seen nothing and I haven't heard of anyone solving their problems in such a manner. Anyone I know (and I'm part of various support groups) have managed to deal with their issues through meditation, physical exercise, visualisation techniques, positive anchoring, mirror affirmations, etc. And it took time to do. No drugs. No medicine.

You're an expert on the matter clearly? I "encourage anxiety/depression" in myself??? Well f**k it I better stop that so. What an incredibly disgusting post.

northgirl wrote: »
    You're an expert on the matter clearly? I "encourage anxiety/depression" in myself??? Well f**k it I better stop that so. What an incredibly disgusting post.

I'm an expert on my life, and the effect of depression/anxiety on it. I found ways of dealing with it that didn't involve western medicine.

I'm not telling you to do the same. You're going out of your way to become offended. :rolleyes:

I'm an expert on my life, and the effect of depression/anxiety on it. I found ways of dealing with it that didn't involve western medicine.

I'm not telling you to do the same. Going out of your way to become offended. :rolleyes:

No, not in the slightest going out of my way to respond to irresponsible and in appropriate posts.

Good luck with your life. You're going to need it.

No, not in the slightest going out of my way to respond to irresponsible and in appropriate posts.

Good luck with your life. You're going to need it.

Not really. Your negativity is nothing to me. It's just a shame that you need to project such on to others, rather than trying to suggest something different and positive for them to do.

Not really. Your negativity is nothing to me. It's just a shame that you need to project such on to others, rather than trying to suggest something different and positive for them to do.

Not negative. Just realistic and don't tell people what my made up "facts" are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I finally started taking Sertraline recently for the anxiety that I've been struggling with for years.

I tried counselling on and off this whole time and it never worked for me. Honestly, I should have gone down this route years ago. It's not perfect, but attacks are waaaay less frequent and in general I'm able to function better as a human.

Not negative. Just realistic and don't tell people what my made up "facts" are.

What facts? And where did I suggest anything of your posts/"facts" were incorrect? You're objecting to my post, remember?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭henryforde80

I have/had crippling anxiety ongoing for the last five years to the point I was self medicating with alcohol. I could make lists upon list about what I was going to have for dinner for the week, planning what I was going to do the weekend, lists about what I was going to buy to clean the house, doing budgets. I would have paper and could right all the above 100 times a day changing slightly every time. Some things that didn't matter just grasped my brain

I'm not on medication and the CBT videos on YouTube have gotten me through it and still watching them. Also exercise. Still have some bad days but no where near as bad as it was with heart racing, sweating, tiredness, pacing around, pains in guts and stomach, nearly fainting at times.

It is extremely common these days. I think I had it very mild compared to other people. A thousand thoughts running through your brain with worrying is ****in terrible

• Site Banned Posts: 55 ✭✭Candyshell

I have/had crippling anxiety ongoing for the last five years to the point I was self medicating with alcohol. I could make lists upon list about what I was going to have for dinner for the week, planning what I was going to do the weekend, lists about what I was going to buy to clean the house, doing budgets. I would have paper and could right all the above 100 times a day changing slightly every time. Some things that didn't matter just grasped my brain

I'm not on medication and the CBT videos on YouTube have gotten me through it and still watching them. Also exercise. Still have some bad days but no where near as bad as it was with heart racing, sweating, tiredness, pacing around, pains in guts and stomach, nearly fainting at times.

It is extremely common these days. I think I had it very mild compared to other people. A thousand thoughts running through your brain with worrying is ****in terrible

Have you tried meditation?

Sitting on the beach looking at waves or colouring in can be good for making the mind still and at peace.

What facts? And where did I suggest anything of your posts/"facts" were incorrect? You're objecting to my post, remember?

whatever. as i said, good luck with your life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I've always experienced periods of anxiety about things that most people seem to breeze through. And the important part though is the seem to. We assume that others are fine with things because we can't see inside their heads compared to our own experiences.

When I was younger, I got depressed a lot, had insomnia, and anxiety issues. I went to a variety of pschologists about them, got assigned a variety of drugs/treatments, and none of them 'cured' the problems. If anything, while my issues would subside for a few weeks or so, they'd come back twice as bad as before, which meant getting stronger treatments later.

I agree 99%. The reason I'm knocking off one percent is because all of what you wrote is about your own experience.

I once heard a good description of autism. If you know someone who's autistic all you know about autism is that you know someone with autism. Autism comes in many shapes and sizes and what determines autism is more background stuff. How you think etc. How it manifests is different for everyone.

It's the same with anxiety. I've been on meds for it for years and although I'm sure our experiences on being anxious are similar the roots of it for both of us is different.

I think that's why sometimes you see people say "that person doesn't have anxiety" Or "they just need to do x, y, z". Even from people who have experienced anxiety themselves. We tend to place our experience on other people even though most of the time it's incorrect.

Another thing is that people tend to say that a person who says they have anxiety is just saying it for attention. We tend to think that because it wasn't a big deal years ago the people who say they have it now are just snowflakes. The thing is, and I'm sure you'd probably agree, is that when you are experiencing anxiety most people don't know. You look perfectly normal from the outside. Only people you confide in really know because you make an effort to appear normal.

We need mental health awareness not just so we don't judge those with anxiety but also to let people know what is available to them. When I had my first panic attack 20 years ago I had no idea what it was. I'd never heard of anxiety. The diagnosis was a surprise to me. When people are aware of it it creates less stigma and people are more likely to reach for help before it gets too bad.

• Advertisement

I finally started taking Sertraline recently for the anxiety that I've been struggling with for years.

I tried counselling on and off this whole time and it never worked for me. Honestly, I should have gone down this route years ago. It's not perfect, but attacks are waaaay less frequent and in general I'm able to function better as a human.

That was the SSRI I was prescribed, very effective. Been on Citalopram before, didn't find it helpful really.

Best of luck in the future.

Grayson wrote: »
    Another thing is that people tend to say that a person who says they have anxiety is just saying it for attention. We tend to think that because it wasn't a big deal years ago the people who say they have it now are just snowflakes. The thing is, and I'm sure you'd probably agree, is that when you are experiencing anxiety most people don't know. You look perfectly normal from the outside. Only people you confide in really know because you make an effort to appear normal.

I have had a shaking 'disorder' since I was 13. So, no, when I'm feeling extra anxiety, people do tend to notice, and their noticing exaggerates my shakes. But that's just me. ;)
    We need mental health awareness not just so we don't judge those with anxiety but also to let people know what is available to them. When I had my first panic attack 20 years ago I had no idea what it was. I'd never heard of anxiety. The diagnosis was a surprise to me. When people are aware of it it creates less stigma and people are more likely to reach for help before it gets too bad.

Completely agree.

I feel like that a lot. I always feel like I should be doing something. I find mindfulness meditation helps. I also found that, for me at least, discovering I'm autistic, led to me discovering why I felt like that. Because I analyse stuff logically I'm constantly trying to dissect stuff rather than accepting it. My mind is going 24/7. I'll wake up in the middle of the night and start working out stuff. If you see me walking down the street I'm having a conversation with someone in my head and planning out the 50 different things they could say and the 50 different ways I could respond. When I'm not doing that I'm running through statistics or trying to figure out logical rules human interactions. It's non stop and exhausting.

Mindfulness has taught me how to temporarily experience the moment. It's also taught me how to dismiss unhelpful thoughts and how to analyse dispassionately the feeling I have.

Mindfulness is one of those things i think everyone should learn. It's only 10 minutes a day and it's so worth it.

That was the SSRI I was prescribed, very effective. Been on Citalopram before, didn't find it helpful really.

Best of luck in the future.

I was on seroxat and it wasn't great. Lexopro works like a charm though.

If anyone finds a medication isn't working, change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

i get anxious about 2 things mainly...money (cause i don't have much) and sex (cause i don't get any)

• Advertisement

I was on seroxat and it wasn't great. Lexopro works like a charm though.

If anyone finds a medication isn't working, change it.

Absolutely! My GP is a dote, worked with me to find a solution.

Lack of understanding of mental health conditions is the biggest barrier to be faced sometimes.

It is a very difficult thing to comprehend. If you've never experienced anxiety at an elevated level/frequency, it's easy to dismiss as "Sure, you have X Y and Z, so you should be happy".

Even as someone who suffers with it I often have the same mindset, one of my main focusses in my mind is "If I just had ...." or "if I just fix ...." then "everything would be ok". Like if I had more money, I'd worry less. But what is "more money" and why can't I appreciate what I already have. But as soon as one issue is 'resolved', the mind intensely scans for the next thing to worry about.

I find the two hardest, somewhat conflicting, things are:
    1) Remembering not everyone thinks like this. When you assume everyone overthinks every little word you say, you get paranoid and that sets off the worry even more.
    2) Remembering that some people do think like this. I often look around and subconciously think how "easy" others have it, not a care in the world. But in reality, plenty of those people are looking right back at me and thinking the exact same thing about me.

It is a very difficult thing to comprehend. If you've never experienced anxiety at an elevated level/frequency, it's easy to dismiss as "Sure, you have X Y and Z, so you should be happy".

Even as someone who suffers with it I often have the same mindset, one of my main focusses in my mind is "If I just had ...." or "if I just fix ...." then "everything would be ok". Like if I had more money, I'd worry less. But what is "more money" and why can't I appreciate what I already have. But as soon as one issue is 'resolved', the mind intensely scans for the next thing to worry about.

I find the two hardest, somewhat conflicting, things are:
    1) Remembering not everyone thinks like this. When you assume everyone overthinks every little word you say, you get paranoid and that sets off the worry even more.
    2) Remembering that some people do think like this. I often look around and subconciously think how "easy" others have it, not a care in the world. But in reality, plenty of those people are looking right back at me and thinking the exact same thing about me.

Isn't it one on 4 or one in 5 that will experience anxiety/depression during their lives?
    When I first had it, a load of friends came out of the woodwork saying they had it too. And it helps knowing that. You tend to think you're the weirdo but the fact is that it's really common. Experiencing anxiety or depression is actually quite a normal thing to happen. It's normal in the way red hair is, or hayfever or any one of hundreds of characteristics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,551 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

frosty123 wrote: »
    i get anxious about 2 things mainly...money (cause i don't have much) and sex (cause i don't get any)

In this country, you gotta make the money first. Then when you get the money, you get the power. Then when you get the power, then you get the women.

Isn't it one on 4 or one in 5 that will experience anxiety/depression during their lives?
    When I first had it, a load of friends came out of the woodwork saying they had it too. And it helps knowing that. You tend to think you're the weirdo but the fact is that it's really common. Experiencing anxiety or depression is actually quite a normal thing to happen. It's normal in the way red hair is, or hayfever or any one of hundreds of characteristics

Lots of people struggle from mental illness from time to time and it's nothing to be ashamed of.
    I do think it's important tough people know the the difference between sadness and depression and Anxiety and being worried.(if you know what I mean)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,318 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

What boils my p**s is seeing people say "I have anxiety" when you mean "worried or concerned".

It leads to people not taking the condition seriously and believe me there are 90% eo have my condition (and others) and are way worse off.

It’s easy see why you get anxious if that’s the level at which your piss boils. I don’t suppose it’s ever occurred to you that it could simply be a case of this -

PS: Given I'm older than you FPC, I can assure you that anxiety did exist when you were in school. Me and others like me just wouldn't have had the vocabulary or knowledge to explain what was going on behind the scenes.

There’s a world of a difference between not taking a condition seriously, and being unable to take a person who just happens to have a particular condition, seriously.

Lots of people struggle from mental illness from time to time and it's nothing to be ashamed of.
    I do think it's important tough people know the the difference between sadness and depression and Anxiety and being worried.(if you know what I mean)

I do know what you mean FP, but one of the contributing factors to the stigma that absolutely does surround ill mental health is for one thing the number of people who imagine that they are the authority on other people’s mental health. I know many people who wouldn’t be wordsmiths in being able to express their thoughts, and then there are some people who just bore the tits off me tbh with how much they go on about mental health.

However a person describes how they are or aren’t feeling or how to quantify that isn’t, for me at least, the most important concern. There’s nothing leads to people not taking these conditions seriously only what they believed they knew already, and that’s where the unwillingness to express themselves often comes from. It really does come from shame in my experience, the idea that people would associate them with other people who act like they’re an authority on these things. Part of that is some people imagining that they’re in a position to tell someone when they say they’re experiencing anxiety, or they’re anxious, that they’re not and how dare they even use the term. I can’t take anyone who behaves like that seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

I Encouraged me to read allowed/do plays/etc and I feel it really benefited me. Now I fully understand this wouldn't work for everybody but I have noticed kids/teenagers back out of things due to anxiety issues now.

it sure can and detrimental effect at that...you got to nip in the bud early like all mental disorders before it takes root

fryup wrote: »
    it sure can and detrimental effect at that...you got to nip in the bud early like all mental disorders before it takes root

I was referring to kids/teenagers who say they have an anxiety disorder by googling it or from word of mouth or when their parents say it to get them out of doing things they don't like.
    I never suggested that a mental disorder should be nipped in the bud and didn't mean to have suggested it either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

nice bit of an aul anxiety

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I was once anxious

So then I stopped being anxious and started being awesome

True story

• Advertisement
Advertisement