Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anxiety.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

I never suggested that a mental disorder should be nipped in the bud and didn't mean to have suggested it either.

well it should be nipped in the bud

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

I had very bad anxiety and had to take propranolol, physical symptoms. Went to a clean diet and exercised, lost 128lbs and it's all gone with no symptoms anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Only way to deal with anxiety is to sweat it out in the shed. Or else you’ll be sweating it out in complete nothing scenarios

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I think there might be a difference between being nervous about a situation like an interview or something, and being anxious or nervous all the time for no particular reason.

Hope you will all be OK.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

One thing I find interesting is Anxiety.
    It's a term I've heard a lot about in the past few years. I'm late twenties now and I don't think it was really around when I was at school.
    I was a schoolchild in the 60s and 70s, and yes anxiety was barely recognised in those days

However I have little doubt, looking back, that I suffered massively from it, and I think plenty of others did. Did I grow out of it? Possibly. In fact I turned things round and as an adult became a glass half full person rather than a glass half empty one

The issue nowadays though is that these things are much more apparent as there is a much better understanding of the issue, and wider communication between and involving children who may suffer in this way. The brave new technological world brings much greater pressures, and when you see how many youngsters are wedded to their phones or other smart technology it's hardly surprising that many more feel the pressures of the modern world. There is little doubt the world is a hell of a lot "faster" than it was even 10 let alone 20 or 40 years ago, and there is little sign of letup in the pace of change. Is it surprising that many, particularly at the younger end, are fearful they may get left behind and get stressed in this day and age?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 powercity

as a fifty year old male suffering frm anxietyand reciently put on lexapro with the back up of xanax and palaxia 200mg xr.

as a fifty year old male who was bullied in school, at home and at work - with no respite.
    as a fifty year old who got my children to an through college despite everything .

i need a hug
    ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa2xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I find mental health an interesting topic. They are various things people can do to improve their mental health and between word of mouth and the internet/etc and professional help. They are various things out there for people.
    One thing I find interesting is Anxiety.
    It's a term I've heard a lot about in the past few years. I'm late twenties now and I don't think it was really around when I was at school. Now young kids are talking about having anxiety issues and parents saying there kid has an anxiety disorder/etc.(I'd often question these being properly diagnosed)
    I would have being considered to to be a shy child but teachers always encouraged me. Encouraged me to read allowed/do plays/etc and I feel it really benefited me. Now I fully understand this wouldn't work for everybody but I have noticed kids/teenagers back out of things due to anxiety issues now.
    Could this have an effect on their future?

Now I fully understand anxiety can be crippling for people and they need support but I think it's important we get the right balance between every day worries and major anxiety issues and try and help people with these issues.

Anxiety has always been around, freshpopcorn, when I went to school, when my parents went to school and their parents etc they just didn't have the knowledge or tools available to deal with it and such anxiety is young people often leaves a permanent scar on their lives. Its similar to autism where people often thought (many still do) that the kids were just brats or had poor parenting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,854 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Anxiety has always been around, freshpopcorn, when I went to school, when my parents went to school and their parents etc they just didn't have the knowledge or tools available to deal with it and such anxiety is young people often leaves a permanent scar on their lives. Its similar to autism where people often thought (many still do) that the kids were just brats or had poor parenting.

Oh yes I fully understand this and I think it's great people can get the help when needed now.
    I just think it's important people get a proper diagnoses and advice and not just say of my child has anxiety. If that makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Oh yes I fully understand this and I think it's great people can get the help when needed now.
    I just think it's important people get a proper diagnoses and advice and not just say of my child has anxiety. If that makes sense.

Yes, it cant be a simple thing to lean back on if someone just doesn't want to go to school or move forward in life ( a lot of long term dole users are using depression and anxiety to excuse not working ) but its definitely a real and troubling thing. I know I had tremendous anxiety in my Leaving Cert year for a number of reasons but there wasn't a tap of help and my parents were old school and used to just say ah snap out of it, Not out of malice but they didn't know any better and passed it on.
    At least now there is more knowledge on the subject.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,854 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Yes, it cant be a simple thing to lean back on if someone just doesn't want to go to school or move forward in life ( a lot of long term dole users are using depression and anxiety to excuse not working ) but its definitely a real and troubling thing. I know I had tremendous anxiety in my Leaving Cert year for a number of reasons but there wasn't a tap of help and my parents were old school and used to just say ah snap out of it, Not out of malice but they didn't know any better and passed it on.
    At least now there is more knowledge on the subject.

Yes, I fully understand you. I'm not saying anxiety doesn't exist for a second. I really believe it does. I just think more education is needed on it and other similar issues.

Advertisement