Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving into Dublin from Limerick on Sunday?

Options
  • 24-08-2018 6:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Hi,

Does anybody have any idea whether this will be affected by road closures?

If I stick to the canal should I be ok?

I'm thinking of returning during the speech in the park if that makes sense?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Even Junction 9 on the M50 will be closed, except to buses. The controlled access area stretches all the way from the M50 Red Cow into the city. See the map below, the white area is the controlled access zone. I’d say it will be bonkers

https://www.transportforireland.ie/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/2-maps-phoenix-park.pdf

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You will be able to exit at the Finglas or Ballymun junctions and drive down either the Finglas Road or the Drumcondra Road.

You could also come the M1/Port Tunnel route if going to the north east inner city, which is outside the control zone. Depending on where in the city centre you are going, you may encounter some road closures and diversions.

East of O'Connell Street is not in the control zone. If you need to go to the south inner city, you may have to approach from the Tallaght exit. Entering the control zone, you may be asked proof of address or where you are going.

There is expected to be a bit of a lull locally during the Mass, during which the guards have said they will (where safe) facilitate local access in the Castleknock/Stoneybatter/Cabra areas, however the M50 is expected to be heavy all day.

You would not be able to drive along the canal as part of Davitt Road is a major pedestrian route.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭WhyTheFace

jacksie66 wrote: »
    You won't have a hope of getting anywhere near the city centre on Sunday. The traffic will be horrendous. Even the red cow will be full pretty early I'm guessing. You should have booked a train or bus well in advance..

Don't plan on going near city centre.

spurious wrote: »
    You will be able to exit at the Finglas or Ballymun junctions and drive down either the Finglas Road or the Drumcondra Road.

You could also come the M1/Port Tunnel route if going to the north east inner city, which is outside the control zone. Depending on where in the city centre you are going, you may encounter some road closures and diversions.

East of O'Connell Street is not in the control zone. If you need to go to the south inner city, you may have to approach from the Tallaght exit. Entering the control zone, you may be asked proof of address or where you are going.

There is expected to be a bit of a lull locally during the Mass, during which the guards have said they will (where safe) facilitate local access in the Castleknock/Stoneybatter/Cabra areas, however the M50 is expected to be heavy all day.

You would not be able to drive along the canal as part of Davitt Road is a major pedestrian route.

Thanks Spurious, I've to get to Blackrock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

You could take the M50 southbound at the Red Cow and come into the city through Tallaght, Dundrum or Stillorgan.

But the N7 around the Red Cow is likely to be chaotic as everything will be going onto M50 north or south and if your post is anything to go by, a lot of them are in for a shock.

The M50 is the best way to get to Blackrock. Get off at Sandyford and you are almost there.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

WhyTheFace wrote: »
    Thanks Spurious, I've to get to Blackrock.

M50 Southbound coming off at J14. You don't need to go near the canal.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

Big Nasty wrote: »
    M50 Southbound coming off at J14. You don't need to go near the canal.
    This.

In fairness the canal is pretty close to the city centre and would be choked with traffic with the weekend that's in it. There are pent of other ways to get to Blackrock, I'd avoid the canal like the plague.

Great stuff. J14 it is. Thanks a million!

• Advertisement

The canal isn't an option. N7 closed to northbound traffic from Red Cow so you can't get near it.

It would be a mad way to get to Blackrock anyway but I'm assuming the OP isn't too familiar with Dublin.

If I was doing it on Sunday I'd get off M7 well before the Red Cow. Either through Naas to Blessington and in on the N81 or via Citywest to the N81. Then join M50 at Tallaght.

I'd hope there will be plenty of diversion notices along the route but better to have a plan in advance.

First Up wrote: »
    The canal isn't an option. N7 closed to northbound traffic from Red Cow so you can't get near it.

It would be a mad way to get to Blackrock anyway but I'm assuming the OP isn't too familiar with Dublin.

If I was doing it on Sunday I'd get off M7 well before the Red Cow. Either through Naas to Blessington and in on the N81 or via Citywest to the N81. Then join M50 at Tallaght.

I'd hope there will be plenty of diversion notices along the route but better to have a plan in advance.

Hi First Up, no not too familiar with Dublin routes unfortunately.

If I get M7>N7 >get onto M50 at Ballymount until Sandyford and then make my way in form there?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yes that would work. Allow for delays on the M50. It is a priority to keep moving but will be very heavy.

If I get M7>N7 >get onto M50 at Ballymount until Sandyford and then make my way in form there?

Yes, Exit 14 Sandyford will take you almost straight into Blackrock. I assume you know the local roads you will be using.

If you come in on the N7 you will be joining the M50 at J9 Red Cow, not Ballymount. Its hard to know what that junction will be like on Sunday; it is officially open for you to join (and for M50 traffic to join N7 Southbound) but I think its reasonable to expect delays. That's why I would consider getting off the N7 before J9 but you would need to know your way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Cyclepath

Coming from Limerick, the traffic approaching the M50 Junction 9 at red cow is going to be backed up because that junction is closed inbound into Dublin. All traffic has to either flow north or south at that point. It'll be a sh1t show...

I'd suggest getting off the N7 at Citywest (J3) and take the N82 over to the N81 and come in past Tallaght which will bring you to Junction 11 on the M50.

From there just take the M50 round to the Sandyford exit at J13 and drop down to Blackrock.

tbh, you should do yourself a favour and postpone the trip!

Cyclepath wrote: »
    Coming from Limerick, the traffic approaching the M50 Junction 9 at red cow is going to be backed up because that junction is closed inbound into Dublin. All traffic has to either flow north or south at that point. It'll be a sh1t show...

I'd suggest getting off the N7 at Citywest (J3) and take the N82 over to the N81 and come in past Tallaght which will bring you to Junction 11 on the M50.

From there just take the M50 round to the Sandyford exit at J13 and drop down to Blackrock.

tbh, you should do yourself a favour and postpone the trip!
    That would be my advice too!

Best man at a wedding so can't really miss it...

The junctions at Navan Rd, Lucan Rd and Red Cow are not closed on Sunday. They are only letting coaches through city bound, but all traffic can go onto the M50, though of course it will be very busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Personally I would plan to go all the way to Cherrywood in the expectation that getting off at Dubdrum, Sandford, Leopardstown will be impossible (or slow) with people trying to access park n ride facilities. At least that way you won’t join queues of traffic who are lining up to park. From Cherrywood head over Wyatville Road, the Church Road and to Blackrock via Monkstiwn or Dun Laighaire.

Yes, that might be the safest way to have a pope free journey.

• Advertisement

Once it goes past 2pm or so, those that are going should be gone through the Park and Ride and traffic should lessen slightly, ready to build up again later once the Mass finishes and they start to head back.

Hi,

I'm staying in Grand Canal now.

Think I will go from Limerick to Dublin Airport and then just get the Port Tunnel into the Point and cross over there.

If I leave Limerick around 1pm, I hope to arrive around 3:30pm by which time most of the people will have landed at Phoenix Park.

Hi,

I'm staying in Grand Canal now.

Think I will go from Limerick to Dublin Airport and then just get the Port Tunnel into the Point and cross over there.

If I leave Limerick around 1pm, I hope to arrive around 3:30pm by which time most of the people will have landed at Phoenix Park.
    Sounds as good a route as any to Grand Canal. I assume you know you don't need to go all the way to the airport. You can get to the Port Tunnel from the M50/N1.

First Up wrote: »
    Sounds as good a route as any to Grand Canal. I assume you know you don't need to go all the way to the airport. You can get to the Port Tunnel from the M50/N1.

Hey First Up, no I didn't know that!

Thanks a million for the heads up.

Learnt an awful lot about the Dublin road network from this thread.

Thank you to everyone who gave advice!

Just made it back now. Took 2hr 8 mins from Limerick. Followed Google maps which brought me from N7 onto M50 and into Stillorgan.

No congestion at all!

No surprise looking at the sparse crowd in Phoenix Park.

Advertisement