Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Married in 2014 but showing as single on myAccount

• 24-08-2018 11:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking for a bit of advice and hopefully someone can help me.

I moved to the UK in 2011 and moved back to Ireland at the end of 2016. However I got married in Ireland in 2014.

I registered on myAccount/Ros.ie when I moved home but I've only recently found out about a Form 12 and a P21. When I went in to submit a Form 12 I noticed that my civil status is showing as single. I can obviously submit a Form 12 for each year back to 2014 so I think I need to do a few things.

1. Update my status to married.
    2. Submit a Form 12 for each year.

However I'm not sure if need to update each form separately to say I'm married as it does ask you if you civil status changed in the tax year the form is for, so that would suggest I should only do it on the 2014 form.

Also as I worked in the UK for 2014, 2015 and most of 2016 I'm not sure how to fill in those forms properly when it comes to income. It mentions foreign income in one of the sections but I'm not sure if that's income from a foreign source which I didn't pay any tax on, which wouldn't be relevant for me as I paid UK tax on that income.

So I'm not really sure what to do. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭victor8600

So I'm not really sure what to do. Any ideas?

I would suggest to file Form 12 for 2017 only, as this is the first year you would be taxed in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

victor8600 wrote: »
    I would suggest to file Form 12 for 2017 only, as this is the first year you would be taxed in Ireland.

That makes sense however I can't say that my civil status changed to married in 2017 as it won't accept my marriage date as it wasn't in the 2017 tax year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭victor8600

...it won't accept my marriage date as it wasn't in the 2017 tax year.

Really? You cannot actually enter the earlier date of marriage in the online Form 12 for 2017? This seems like a bug in their software.

You could probably file (e-mail or through the website) a support request so that ROS would change your marital status themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

Jonny, the Form 12 wont change your tax credits or standard rate cut-off points. it is only to declare income not otherwise declared, which if you are a PAYE earner or self-employed (self-assessment) will already have been submitted.

You are best to contact revenue directly as your issue will effect both you and your partners tax assessments for the given years.

As you moved back in 2016 (after being marriage in 2014) you should be able to get re-assessed by revenue.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/contact-us/index.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,145 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What country is your husband / wife living in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭LordBasil

You'll need to complete an Assessable Spouse Election Form, which needs to be signed by both you and your spouse to amend your Basis of Assessment. See;

https://www.revenue.ie/en/life-events-and-personal-circumstances/marital-status/marriage-and-civil-partnerships/joint-assessment.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Thanks all. I'll get in touch with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭_brendand_

Note that it takes them bloody ages to do it. More than two months in our case.

Advertisement