Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York - Somehting different

• 24-08-2018 11:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm travelling to NYC for the 4th time and looking for something different to do while there as we have done all the usual tourist attractions.

This time round we have theatre tickets booked, possibly heading to a baseball or NFL game as well.

Also looking for any suggestions for something to do as a surprise for my wife's Birthday while we are there

Any ideas or tips welcome :)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I really enjoyed the highline the last time I was over. We also walked the Brooklyn bridge and went exploring Williamsburg which was nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

We went to Coney Island for the day - weather was gorgeous.
    Got the train to Hoboken and visited Carlos Bakery for a pic - some lovely bars and restaurants there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

I really enjoyed the highline the last time I was over. We also walked the Brooklyn bridge and went exploring Williamsburg which was nice.

Thanks, Highline is great and such a lovely walk above all the madness below :)

Brooklyn Bridge is great, not going to lie it felt really weird being able to see through the wooden slats to the river below
    Dovies wrote: »
    We went to Coney Island for the day - weather was gorgeous.
    Got the train to Hoboken and visited Carlos Bakery for a pic - some lovely bars and restaurants there too.

Coney Island is great, might do that again if the weather is good.

Hoboken sounds good, might pop that on the list :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Taken the cable car to Roosevelt island. Not much to do on RI apart from take a walk an sit and admire the view of Manhattan but it's a nice way to kill couple of hours. And you get to ride a cable car!

(and your metro pass covers the cost of the ride)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Harlem Gospel tour incl the soul food brunch with Harlem Spirituals, hands down the best thing we did in NYC.

• Advertisement

Taken the cable car to Roosevelt island. Not much to do on RI apart from take a walk an sit and admire the view of Manhattan but it's a nice way to kill couple of hours. And you get to ride a cable car!

Will put that on the list, didn't know the metro card covered the cost of the ride over that's great news

That weekly metro pass is the best thing ever :)

Wonder will it also get me into Citi Field :P

I should have more emphasised the exploring Williamsburg rather than walking the bridge. Grimaldis for a pizza was decent for lunch. We did the one world tour which was excellent too. If you wanted something really different, we rented a car (via turo) and drove out to Tangers riverhead outlets, rather than woodbury. We did a bit of a drive around and explored long island. It was a lovely way to spend a day and see some of the real America.

I should have more emphasised the exploring Williamsburg rather than walking the bridge. Grimaldis for a pizza was decent for lunch. We did the one world tour which was excellent too. If you wanted something really different, we rented a car (via turo) and drove out to Tangers riverhead outlets, rather than woodbury. We did a bit of a drive around and explored long island. It was a lovely way to spend a day and see some of the real America.

cheers, that's sounds great

Wonder will it also get me into Citi Field :P

Don't depress yourself by going there!

Don't depress yourself by going there!

Haha I knew you would say that.

Might head over to take a look at the ballpark. Playing Miami on the Saturday night and its fireworks night so might be worth heading over :)

• Advertisement

Haha I knew you would say that.

Might head over to take a look at the ballpark. Playing Miami on the Saturday night and its fireworks night so might be worth heading over :)

Ah yeah, it is still worth a visit, especially if you get a night when deGrom is pitching.

I don't know when you're going but the US Open tennis is on soon enough too if you're into that sort of thing and that's at the same subway stop as CitField.

Ah yeah, it is still worth a visit, especially if you get a night when deGrom is pitching.

I don't know when you're going but the US Open tennis is on soon enough too if you're into that sort of thing and that's at the same subway stop as CitField.

Yeah would be great to see him pitch, heading over on the 26th Sept for a week so too far away to tell who will be pitching on the night

Quick question, is it like Yankee stadium, as in once you enter stadium can you walk around and potentially sit in a seat you didn't pay for? I know it sounds really cheap of me lol

Yeah would be great to see him pitch, heading over on the 26th Sept for a week so too far away to tell who will be pitching on the night

Quick question, is it like Yankee stadium, as in once you enter stadium can you walk around and potentially sit in a seat you didn't pay for? I know it sounds really cheap of me lol

Yes, you can walk around. There's a level between the bottom tier and the 2nd tier that has all the concessions etc. that you can do a full loop of the stadium around. The area behind home plate has suites or something so you can't stand behind there but from about half way along 1st/3rd baselines all around, you can stand and watch the game. One night I was there I met a few lads and ended up staying there and having a laugh with them and never even went to my seat. It's a good way to watch a game.

If you don't mind standing, you should check out the Shake Shack pack. $25 and you get a burger and a shake thrown in.

https://www.mlb.com/mets/tickets/specials/shake-shack

Unfortunately they're kind of strict when it comes to self upgrading. You'll see it in blog posts etc where even late in the game when there's hardly any people left, they still won't let you into a specific area if you don't have a ticket. This is only for the lower tier seats though I think, there's no one checking tickets on the upper deck. So even if you bought a standing only ticket, I'm sure you still sit down in the upper deck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

If you're into food, we really enjoyed Smorgasburg, basically loads of food trucks serving amazing food. It's still open in September, if you do a wander around Williamsburg on the Saturday it would be well worth popping in

https://www.smorgasburg.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Get the 5 minute ferry to Long Island City from 34th street and go for a stroll.

Thanks to all for the replies and suggestions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Anyone know can you buy a 5 day subway ticket or the likes? you mention a metro pass?

vicwatson wrote: »
    Anyone know can you buy a 5 day subway ticket or the likes? you mention a metro pass?

Sorry, it’s a Metro Card and covers subway and buses. I think it’s a 7 day card you can get but you’ll get your money’s worth in 5 days.

Sorry, it’s a Metro Card and covers subway and buses. I think it’s a 7 day card you can get but you’ll get your money’s worth in 5 days.

I gave mine with 3 days remaining to a worker in the airport in lieu of a tip and they were absolutley delighted. I had more than gotten the value out of it.

Would this 7 day card cover you from jfk and newark airports too?

• Advertisement

Don't know about Newark but at JFK, you do need to buy a ticket for the AirTrain ($5.50) which brings you from the terminals to Jamaica Station and you get the subway (using your Metro Card) from there.

May be the same from Newark as I think they’ve an AirTrain too to a nj train station

You can use your metrocard on airtrain.

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    You can use your metrocard on airtrain.

You can't use the 7 day unlimited card on the Airtrain though.

http://web.mta.info/metrocard/mcgtreng.htm

Good spot. I'm only a regular visitor so just top up my card as no point getting unlimited cards!

Advertisement