Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Gilligan arrested

• 24-08-2018 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭

John Gilligan arrested with 23k on his person last night in Belfast airport.

Remanded in custody. Good to see he is still doing well. Scumbag.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Do these guys ever retire?

Imagine being still up to no good at his age.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭WanderlustIre

23k just flying off to Spain while im in busting my balls trying to run a company and still hardly getting by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

23k just flying off to Spain while im in busting my balls trying to run a company and still hardly getting by.

At least you have a face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭ARNOLD J RIMMER

Im not defending John Gilligan but:

- If he wanted a job who would hire him?

- If he setup a legit business, Who would do business with him?

Lux23 wrote: »
    At least you have a face.

What?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,854 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

-Should of thought about that before selling drugs, Robbing and assaulting (Convicted of all) and Allegedly ordering the murder of an innocent woman.

-Enough do business with Martin Foley in his business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Would not have thought he'd be stupid enough to carry cash himself.
    Surely the authorities would be looking at him!

Didn't the Dublin gangsters run him out of the city when he got out of prison.

I wonder who he works with now, some crowd in England?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

Hes been floating around Clondalkin for the past year without a care in the world.

• Advertisement

I'd say brains were never his forte.

He comes across as a right yobbo in those Paul Williams books.

The likes of John Traynor was a much shrewder operator.

Didn't the Dublin gangsters run him out of the city when he got out of prison.

I wonder who he works with now, some crowd in England?

I don't even care who he works with anymore this man is vermin. He is a cancer on society, and I say that with someone who has members of his family in prison for similar activities. To me it is unforgivable. The very fact he could get as far as Belfast with that kind of money is due to marvellous work from our guardians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

-Should of thought about that before selling drugs, Robbing and assaulting (Convicted of all) and Allegedly ordering the murder of an innocent woman.

I could be totally wrong but I find it difficult to imagine ordinary decent business folk getting in touch with the likes of Foley for debt collection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

False beard, glasses, wig. Change his name to Trevor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,232 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I'd say brains were never his forte.

He comes across as a right yobbo in those Paul Williams books.

The likes of John Traynor was a much shrewder operator.

Still he became a millionaire while Traynor had to skidaddle out of town.

While your logic is hindsight.

What should he do NOW when it would be impossible to go legit.

I'm not surprised he's gone down this direction again as I dont see his Legit options available to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭con___manx1

emeldc wrote: »
    I could be totally wrong but I find it difficult to imagine ordinary decent business folk getting in touch with the likes of Foley for debt collection.

I know a guy who was threatened by members of that foley dept collection. He had a handgun pointed at him and wasst long before he paid up after that : )
    If it was alot of money id say you be surprised who would hire them to get their cash back

I'm not surprised he's gone down this direction again as I dont see his Legit options available to him.
    Can he not live off an old age pension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Genuine question. Is it a crime to bring €23k of cash out of the country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

Yes, if you fail to declare it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Arrested? It's always the ones you least expect.

Yes, if you fail to declare it.

Is there not free movement of goods and services within the EU?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

BattleCorp wrote: »

Yup. I think 10k is the limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,232 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I know a guy who was threatened by members of that foley dept collection. He had a handgun pointed at him and wasst long before he paid up after that : )
    If it was alot of money id say you be surprised who would hire them to get their cash back

In my experience these guys are also used when the amount is relatively small. If a guy owes you 3 or 4k and won't pay what can you do? It would be 2-3 years before you get him to court and even then he will probably be allowed pay it off at 50 a week or whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

...there's always one last job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Nah.You can carry as much cash as you like within the EU.If you're bringing over 10,000 out of the EU you're supposed to declare but if its legitimate money that you can show the source of you'd be fine.

He probably has it seized as proceeds of crime

Can he not live off an old age pension.

I have no idea

Gilligan was flying from the North to Spain. Both are inside the EU so therefore there was no need to declare the €23,000. Am I correct in thinking this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Is there not free movement of goods and services within the EU?

Yes but different tax regimes. I believe the 10k limit is to do with tax avoidance. ie making cash in one jurisdiction and taking it to another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Yes but different tax regimes. I believe the 10k limit is to do with tax avoidance. ie making cash in one jurisdiction and taking it to another.

It's pronounced "Avoision"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Gilligan was flying from the North to Spain. Both are inside the EU so therefore there was no need to declare the €23,000. Am I correct in thinking this?

there is no limit on bringing cash between 2 eu countries and no requirement to declare. Gilligan was arrested for money laundering.

there is no limit on bringing cash between 2 eu countries and no requirement to declare. Gilligan was arrested for money laundering.

So how is money laundering defined?

Can he claim that the money is his from savings? Winnings on a horse? A donation from Paddy the Plasterer?

Does he have to prove that the money was gained from legal activities or do the authorities have to prove that the money was gained from illegal activities?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

10k is the limit in cash. Anything over that within the EU you either declare it, or the cash sniffing dogs will detect it and you are arrested. If you cannot provide backup info the default position is money laundering.

But in fairness Customs use intelligence and targeting. They know, and then set the dogs on them!

Good to see our friends in the North (while they are still in the EU) are on the ball. I am sure there is co-operation between Ireland and NI/UK on criminal activity.

What will happen post Brexit?

The little squirt is a total idiot. But I suppose all that will happen is that the cash will be confiscated, and back down the M1 he goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

From Citizens Information
    Travelling to Ireland from countries outside the EU
    Cash controls

Since 15 June 2007 if you are entering or leaving the European Union and carrying €10,000 or more cash you must make a declaration to the Customs authority of the member state you are entering or leaving. Under Regulation (EC) 1889/2005 you must lodge the declaration at the airport, seaport or land frontier through which you are entering the EU – see “How to apply” below. If you are travelling to or from the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man you also must make a declaration.

Cash includes:
    Currency in the form of banknotes or coins
    Bank drafts, cheques or money orders in bearer form, endorsed without restriction or with payee’s name omitted.

10k is the limit in cash. Anything over that within the EU you either declare it, or the cash sniffing dogs will detect it and you are arrested. If you cannot provide backup info the default position is money laundering.

But in fairness Customs use intelligence and targeting. They know, and then set the dogs on them!

Good to see our friends in the North (while they are still in the EU) are on the ball. I am sure there is co-operation between Ireland and NI/UK on criminal activity.

What will happen post Brexit?

The little squirt is a total idiot. But I suppose all that will happen is that the cash will be confiscated, and back down the M1 he goes.

that limit only applies to people travelling outside the EU.

https://transferwise.com/gb/blog/taking-cash-in-or-out-of-the-uk

• Advertisement

So how is money laundering defined?

Can he claim that the money is his from savings? Winnings on a horse? A donation from Paddy the Plasterer?

Does he have to prove that the money was gained from legal activities or do the authorities have to prove that the money was gained from illegal activities?

if the money was from his savings then he will have a bank slip to verify this. he cant just he won it on a horse. they will want to know what horse and what bookie and confirm his info. he is caught by the bollix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Thats what I would have thought but the NI Customs obviously have a different take on it. Unless he was going to Lanzarote (or similar) which is in the EU but outside of the Customs Union.

When dealing with Customs & Exise you are pretty much guilty until you can prove yourself innocent so it is up to him to prove that the money is legit, if he cant it is confiscated.

Cash amount should be reduced to say 3k.

Doesn't matter, mutual co-operation/intelligence sharing means Customs know who to target.

I'd be having a conniption that someone would knock me on the head and rob my cash anyway. So that's a no from me, if I had that kind of money in the first place!

Cash in such large amounts is rarely kosher anyway.

I know some will come back and say I am buying a car/caravan etc. and they will not accept an IBAN payment. Well why now?

Anyway glad the little man was caught. Doubt there will be a prison sentence for him, but if he was carrying the cash for someone else...... well then.

that limit only applies to people travelling outside the EU.

https://transferwise.com/gb/blog/taking-cash-in-or-out-of-the-uk

But if you cannot account for it if stopped and questioned?

Seems odd that cigarette and alcohol movements are subject to scrutiny as in "is it all for your own use? well prove it" to the person importing 50,000 cigarettes from Spain or X litres of wine from France in their van.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Delighted for him, the smug little scumbag. Sick of looking at his disgusting fat arse swaggering around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Cash amount should be reduced to say 3k.

Doesn't matter, mutual co-operation/intelligence sharing means Customs know who to target.

I'd be having a conniption that someone would knock me on the head and rob my cash anyway. So that's a no from me, if I had that kind of money in the first place!

Cash in such large amounts is rarely kosher anyway.

I know some will come back and say I am buying a car/caravan etc. and they will not accept an IBAN payment. Well why now?

Anyway glad the little man was caught. Doubt there will be a prison sentence for him, but if he was carrying the cash for someone else...... well then.
    I doubt it, you would have to be daft to hire a midget villain as well known as him to courier large sums of money around. I hope it was his cash and he got stung rotten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

There was a Polish man caught with a sum just over 20k recently too. In that case I thought "that's stupid, can't you take 10k with you with no questions asked?". Why risk trouble by taking it in one go; just take two Ryanair flights?

Hope this guy is back behind bars soon.

I doubt it, you would have to be daft to hire a midget villain as well known as him to courier large sums of money around. I hope it was his cash and he got stung rotten.

Sorry I LOL'd at the midget villain well known to everyone on this Island :p

Anyway, if it was his money, I wonder how he got it.

I hope the CAB have taken everything off that family, they are just totally off the wall. Remember the daughter had a pub in Spain called "the Judges Chambers" Jayzis that was some reference to another crim. They have necks like jockey's blx all the same.

Still I doubt he will be jailed. Unless those who arrested him have more info on the source of the cash.

I suppose he will get FLA anyway. Sigh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Amazed he hasn't contracted a lethal dose of lead poisoning by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Username is apt. :D

Hitman3000 wrote: »

Bit of luck he's hit with an automatic no need for the lead poison.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

with the scale of his crimes he should still be in jail or dead , but its not a fair world is it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Bit of luck he's hit with an automatic no need for the lead poison.

And why not he was poisoning us with shìt hash for years

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

I wonder was he a decoy to maybe someone who was carrying more. Dont think auld factory john is that stupid

• Advertisement
Advertisement