Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Gilligan arrested

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭snowbabe

rafatoni wrote: »
    I wonder was he a decoy to maybe someone who was carrying more. Dont think auld factory john is that stupid

I was thinking the exact same thing, all watching him and someone before or/and after brought much more through wouldn't surprise me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

snowbabe wrote: »
    I was thinking the exact same thing, all watching him and someone before or/and after brought much more through wouldn't surprise me

Interesting.

Hope the plods/customs figured that out and got the Spanish police/customs alerted to a possible decoy!

I am sure it is happening every day of the week this kind of transfer of cash. Probably easier to launder abroad (no offence to certain countries!) than it is here or in UK.

But I'm guessing the plod know the score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭mr c

+1;)
    23k just flying off to Spain while im in busting my balls trying to run a company and still hardly getting by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

mr c wrote: »
    +1;)

It's probably a deposit for Margaret Cash. Housing is cheaper in Spain. LOL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

rafatoni wrote: »
    I wonder was he a decoy to maybe someone who was carrying more. Dont think auld factory john is that stupid

Some decoy if he’s carrying enough to get arrested himself :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

there is no limit on bringing cash between 2 eu countries and no requirement to declare. Gilligan was arrested for money laundering.

Money laundering.......don't make me laugh!
    I'm pretty sure he was paying for goods he was planning to import!

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Irish Kings

What should he do NOW when it would be impossible to go legit.

I'm not surprised he's gone down this direction again as I dont see his Legit options available to him.

What do you mean impossible ? Start in a ordinary minimum wage job like everybody else starting over.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

emeldc wrote: »
    Some decoy if he’s carrying enough to get arrested himself :confused:
    thats why he done it 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Hopefully he gets 15+ yrs in the clink up north as that would bring him into his 80s. And that he's incarcerated with some loyalist scumbags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I don't even care who he works with anymore this man is vermin. He is a cancer on society, and I say that with someone who has members of his family in prison for similar activities. To me it is unforgivable. The very fact he could get as far as Belfast with that kind of money is due to marvellous work from our guardians.

He must have picked up the cash in the North. Everyone is stopped at the border and their money is counted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I've carried large amounts of money on me before.

Not everyone is poor.

I need more information before I can cast judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭WanderlustIre

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    I've carried large amounts of money on me before.

Not everyone is poor.

I need more information before I can cast judgement.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/it-doesnt-get-any-easier-brother-of-veronica-guerin-on-22nd-anniversary-of-her-murder-37050836.html

Would ya cast judgement now.

What does that have to do with him carrying money?

It's everything to do with him carrying money. His money isn't legit. It's to do with the rape, murder and Drug dealing he's had his hand in the past 30 years.

Factory John, the NIPS will break him where the IPS failed.

It's everything to do with him carrying money. His money isn't legit. It's to do with the rape, murder and Drug dealing he's had his hand in the past 30 years.

Factory John, the NIPS will break him where the IPS failed.

He used to be a vicious drug dealer.

But the money he was caught with. What proof is there it's drug money?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Hoboo

He used to be a vicious drug dealer.

But the money he was caught with. What proof is there it's drug money?

None. But by law he must declare cash over 10k or risk having it retained. And theres more to the story than we know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

There's an Irish podcast called Mens Rea - it has a very recent two part episode on Veronica Guerin where giligan featured HEAVILY and its very well done.

I am a bit ignorant to all this, the podcast definitely opened my ears.

Hoboo wrote: »
    None. But by law he must declare cash over 10k or risk having it retained. And theres more to the story than we know.

OK. So we know he didn't declare money over 10k. This is wrong and he should receive the relevant prosecution.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

This cretin orchestrated the death of Veronica Guerin.

A crime that was even viewed with disdain within the underworld.

He's a bad POS and he deserves nobodies symypathy.

He warrants everything he gets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Cash amount should be reduced to say 3k.

They’d have to re-train all the sniffer dogs.

• Advertisement

loobylou wrote: »
    They’d have to re-train all the sniffer dogs.

They don't smell the amount they smell cash from ink print and then notify.

On a side note his mitigation is brilliant. I was under threat I wanted to get out with my money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Homer

I suppose he will get FLA anyway. Sigh.

Yeah and her majesty will be paying for it. He was arrested in a different jurisdiction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

None. But by law he must declare cash over 10k or risk having it retained.

That is incorrect.

He was travelling within the EU so he had no obligation to declare the money.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    That is incorrect.

He was travelling within the EU so he had no obligation to declare the money.

Your right Battlecorp it used to be 13k within the EU but that was changed a number of years ago, no limit in the EU but you will need to explain it if found.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Would not have thought he'd be stupid enough to carry cash himself.
    Surely the authorities would be looking at him!

I'd imagine he was set up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2018/0904/991489-john-gilligan/

Back up today.

Interestingly it seems he admitted having the money when asked by officials.
    Mr Gilligan had readily volunteered he was carrying the cash when questioned by members of the UK border force at the airport about drugs and, or, monies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Im not defending John Gilligan but:

- If he wanted a job who would hire him?

- If he setup a legit business, Who would do business with him?

Ask the viper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,232 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

They don't smell the amount they smell cash from ink print and then notify.

On a side note his mitigation is brilliant. I was under threat I wanted to get out with my money

Oh! and here's me thinking the sniffer dogs knew how to count the money! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I wish they would use his money to build a giant catapult and then use it to fire the smug little sh1t out into the Atlantic.

Advertisement