Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2way VGA splitter advice

Options
  • 24-08-2018 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to buy 10-12 VGA splitters for a school I'm working in. They'll be used with 1metre long VGAs, one running into the monitor and the other to an interactive whiteboard.

Had a quick Google to find a place selling them and came across this. https://www.freetv.ie/vga-splitter/

Is it cheap for a reason? There's a 500mhz one as well but it's nearly €50.https://www.freetv.ie/2-port-vga-splitter/

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Just so you know ..... they are powered splitters (listed as the first feature) so each one will need a mains power socket. That gadget will come with an AC adapter similar to a phone charger in order to supply DC power to the device, the input port for the DC plug is in the lower right corner, to the right of the three VGA ports.

I have used unpowered VGA splitters (a long time ago!) and if the video source is fully powered (i.e. not a laptop running off the battery) then an unpowered splitter (basically a 'Y' adapter) should work ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭A Law

Thanks. I knew they were powered alright. We have a good few of them already. They're rextron ones. Can't find any of them for sales on the internet in Ireland though. Do you know any companys that sell splitters in Dublin?
    Unpowered ones might be worth a shot by the sounds of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Do you know any companys that sell splitters in Dublin?

You might come across them on the accessories rack/parts display in places like PC World.

And I wouldn't rule out general electrical retailers, a lot of them carry printer and network cables and connectors so they might have some video accessories as well. It would be worth your while trying some of the bigger and older branches e.g. Power City in Sallynoggin, you never know what you'd find but don't bother phoning, nobody will want to deal with you.

Advertisement