Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does a butcher sell bones or give them away??

Options
  • 24-08-2018 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭

I want to make bone broth for an ill friend. Have never bought bones. I just assumed butcher discarded them.

Have no problem buying them btw..... just want to check thanks folks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I get them for free from our butcher here. Butcher has to pay for disposal otherwise so I'd not be paying for them :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

Thanks Lady. what do you do with them?? just curious :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I think most would give away free but I do know of one butcher that sells pork bones - obviously a market there for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Thanks Lady. what do you do with them?? just curious :pac:

Stock! Though if he has bones suitable for getting marrow out of i get those sliced, salt/roast & eat the marrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

In years of getting them for dogs and stock I've never once been asked to pay for bones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I love them roasted & enjoy the marrow with sea salt on toasted brown bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

are you meaning broth from beef/veal bones (mom used to cook this alot) or from pork too (not sure i've ever tried)?

beef marrow is also nice grilled/smoked (https://www.perthbbqschool.com/blog/2018/2/22/smoked-bone-marrow)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

If you have a butcher who fillets chickens himself you may get the backs etc.. Many sell them to soup manufacturers for stock, but I have found them who gave them gladly , and as well as stock, they fed my dog and cats. Always good meat left on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

my butcher gives them away and I always pick up a nice bone for the dog when there.

Advertisement