Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BlanchWheelies Annual Hospice Spin

Options
  • 24-08-2018 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

https://www.facebook.com/events/1702463739876227/

It's that time of year again! The annual BlanchWheelies 100k spin in aid of St. Francis Hospice Blanchardstown.

Saturday 15th of September 2018, Strawberry Hall Pub, Strawberry Beds, Dublin.

Sign on is 9 am, with the fast group departing at 10 am and the leisure group departing at 10.15am.

This event is open to all, but a Cycling Ireland Licence is required. A one day licence can be picked up on the day.

We'll head out from the Strawberry Beds to Skreen (Via Dunboyne>Summerhill>Kilmessan>Dunsany) where we'll stop for refreshments before the return to the Strawberry Beds (via Rathoath>Kilbride>Ongar)

Route: https://www.strava.com/routes/994113

There is no entry fee for this event, but donations are grateful. You can donate via our Everyday Hero page:

https://give.everydayhero.com/ie/blanchwheeliehospicespin2018

Please share this event amongst your friends, the more the merrier!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭timbel

Yes, looking forward to this.
    A grand spin with some good food during and after, washed down with a few beers in Straw Hall.
    And all for a good cause.

What's not to like ☺?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Great spin, have done it in the past, the spread at the end was epic!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I am off at the Lucan GP so won't make it but have to say, its an event worth signing upto. I know a few of the Blanch riders and they know how to run a good show. Will throw a few pound in this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

I think I did this a couple of years ago. IIRC I was able to give a donation on the day. Will that be the case tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

velo.2010 wrote: »
    I think I did this a couple of years ago. IIRC I was able to give a donation on the day. Will that be the case tomorrow?
    That is my recollection also and intend doing the same tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭smcclaw

Right you are. Donations welcome on the day

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Done, pity I won't make it but best of luck to them on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

A crew from Velo Club Balrothery will be there and will donate as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭conkennedy

koutoubia wrote: »
    A crew from Velo Club Balrothery will be there and will donate as well.

Tremendous!

Many thanks for all your support and safe riding tomorrow! Allez The Wheelies

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

Weather looking good for this tomorrow. I’ll be in the blanch wheelies gear - say hi :)

• Advertisement

Did someone forget to mark the route?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

A few of us were halfway to Swords at one stage!

Other than the route markings it was a solid ride. Plenty of pace and a strong headwind on the way back. The spread at the food stop was excellent.

I didn't go back to the finish as it turned out to be be a longer day than expected with the slightly later start and waiting for everyone to have their lunch before heading off together.

It was a burger at the finish?

A few of us were halfway to Swords at one stage!

Other than the route markings it was a solid ride. Plenty of pace and a strong headwind on the way back. The spread at the food stop was excellent.

I didn't go back to the finish as it turned out to be be a longer day than expected with the slightly later start and waiting for everyone to have their lunch before heading off together.

It was a burger at the finish?
    I was talking to one lad at the food stop and he had done 100k at that stage after getting lost a few times. I think a good few missed the right turn for Kilbride after Ratoath. I was tucked in behind Koutoubia for a while but he suddenly disappeared. :D

Burger and chips at the end was very good.

Nope!

41700025_269552987011725_212375034591707136_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=004ec727338f0e4c3e38dde80f8ab7a1&oe=5C3AD01B

Big thanks to those who came along today!

You can download your photos here!

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmnAPXf5

Did a lot of people get lost?

Dunno.... Wishbone Ash and velo.2010 said one or two missed a turn

I didn't do a head count, but it seemed to me everyone made it back to the Strawberry Hall.... must have been the smell of burgers and chips!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Enjoyed that a lot. Wouldn’t go hungry anyway..

I was talking to one lad at the food stop and he had done 100k at that stage after getting lost a few times. I think a good few missed the right turn for Kilbride after Ratoath. I was tucked in behind Koutoubia for a while but he suddenly disappeared. :D

Burger and chips at the end was very good.

Not great that folks got lost en route - markings weren’t fresh unfortunately and there was an assumption there’d be enough with the route to take everyone around - hopefully everyone got back and got a good spin in. Turn out a lot bigger than last year - a few points to to take on board - niggle or two - great grub

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is fr. dan joe still involved with the fundraising? i suspect he'd be a little old to have done the 100k today...

• Advertisement

ILIKEFOOD wrote: »
    I was heading a group going towards Summerhill...and if it wasnt for the shouts of 'Go right' o would have brought the whole group into SUmmerhill.
    When I eventually descended off Doreys and down to the turn there were marshalls there...but not for us.
    We had to ask the marshalls which way did the big group go and pointed upthe road.
    Then at the turn after Rathoath for KIlbride a group went straight on.

Having said that it was a great spin for a great cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Cyclewizard

Really enjoyed it and the wheelies were very helpful. Plenty of food at the stop and at the end. Definitely be back next year. Well done to all involved

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

ILIKEFOOD wrote: »
    I met quite a few stopped in Kiltale and I told them the directions to get to Skryne other than that they would be in Trim. I didn't see any road markings

Thanks. That's good to know.

Advertisement