Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bangor Erris

• 24-08-2018 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭

Hi

We have to go to a Wake on Sunday afternoon in Bangor Erris. However, I know nothing about that part of the country - pardon my ignorance - and could use some advise.

I live in Newbridge. Google wants to send us via Monasterevan, Tullamore, Athlone & Roscommon. Surely it would be faster joining the M4 at Enfield and going onto the N5? Also, Is Bangor Erris anywhere near Knock? Am thinking of the 'Event' on Sunday morning, and worried about traffic.

Also, we would like to drive out to Belmullet, seeing as we are that near to it. Is it much further out? And would certainly use any recommendations for lunch out there too.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Stanford

Can't advise you on the best route but you need to end up in Castlebar as Bangor Erris is about 15 miles from there on the road to Belmullet. Suggest you then drive to Belmullet (about 10 miles) which is a nice small town and excellent for following the Wild Atlantic Way to see the scenery. The Broadhaven Bay Hotel is on the left as you enter Belmullet and is excellent for lunch or all day bar food

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭imp1

That isn't too bad a route really, very good roads all the way to Roscommon, and not bad afterwards, but head for Tulsk (Sligo) after Roscommon, not the Castlebar road, that is a rally horrible road on a good day, Knock events are likely to add to that. In Tulsk turn left for Westport /Castlebar etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭mayota

I’d go M4, N5 but go through Ballina not Castlebar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

mayota wrote: »
    I’d go M4, N5 but go through Ballina not Castlebar.

That castlebar road is horrible ,nothing but bends and small roads.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Stanford wrote: »
    Can't advise you on the best route but you need to end up in Castlebar as Bangor Erris is about 15 miles from there on the road to Belmullet.

Bangor is about 36 miles (58km) from Castlebar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Take the M4 to Longford, N5 to Ballina, Bangor Eris to Belmullet is around 15 miles , if you have the time try get out to Blacksod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Hi

We'll head off tomorrow morning, via Enfield, M4/N5 Ballina and onwards.

I'd like to take this opportunity of thanking You all for Your advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Hi

Took all Your advice. Went up via Enfield Longford, Swinford, Ballina, & out the N59 ( I think ) - thanks to everyone who suggested that.

As we had time to spare, we drove out to Blacksod, and promptly got lost haha, Missed the turn for Blacksod at the end of Belmullet, and ended up in Bally Glass. Had to come back, then turn right, ended up in Blacksod, but the weather was misserable, never affording us the opportunity to get out of the car and soak in the obvious solitude and beauty of the place.

Also had lunch in the Broadhaven Bay Hotel. Thanks for the recommendation.

Long drive, but worth it, thanks to everyone for Your invaluable input. MUCH appreciated!

Advertisement