Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2018 - General discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Rained most of the day here near Tralee with a few light patches, damp out now with fine mist.

13.6mm today.

Cool At 8.6c. Fire lit.

8oWP0SK.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭acequion

Artane2002 wrote: »
    This wouldn't look out of place in November to be honest. Sunday looks even worse!

This weather is bad enough but there really is no need to exaggerate!
    I can find no forecast predicting Sunday in anywhere like today's league and it may not even be so bad. This is worst case scenario copied and pasted from Met Eireann:

On Saturday night and early Sunday there is the likelihood of more widespread heavy and possibly thundery rain, with some strong or possibly stormy winds possible, as a low tracks close to or over Ireland. Further updates will issue on this closer to the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

6.4c and lashing down in Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

acequion wrote: »
    I can find no forecast predicting Sunday in anywhere like today's league and it may not even be so bad. This is worst case scenario copied and pasted from Met Eireann:

On Saturday night and early Sunday there is the likelihood of more widespread heavy and possibly thundery rain, with some strong or possibly stormy winds possible, as a low tracks close to or over Ireland. Further updates will issue on this closer to the time.
    https://twitter.com/CarlowWeather/status/1042846400072085506

Latest ECMWF, looks wet and windy for parts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Exactly, heavy/thundery rain. Today's rain is light enough in my location albeit persistent. Also, it looks even colder than today. Temperatures of 8-12c in strong winds off the Irish Sea will feel raw for the east coast. How is this exaggeration?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

pad199207 wrote: »
    6.4c and lashing down in Kildare

Will be watching DPs next! :pac:

7.4c atm in Dublin 16 (and pi**ling).

8 degrees in Cork City atm and still raining since 8am this morning. Blah

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

8 degrees in Cork City atm and still raining since 8am this morning. Blah

Making up for the drought during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭acequion

Exactly, heavy/thundery rain. Today's rain is light enough in my location albeit persistent. Also, it looks even colder than today. Temperatures of 8-12c in strong winds off the Irish Sea will feel raw for the east coast. How is this exaggeration?

Because firstly it's nowhere near certain that Sunday will be anything major with high pressure forecast from Monday on. So indications of rain /storm are more for early Sunday and not the whole day. Today it rained constantly and heavily in my location from 11am to 7.30pm, stopped for a while and is raining heavily again now. Thirdly,low temperatures today were nationwide while low temperatures on Sunday will mainly affect the East. In fact the East looks more vulnerable this time while parts of the west may escape.

So claiming Sunday will be worse than today is an exaggeration imo. It may turn out to be case or most likely, not. So no need to depress us all even more on a horrendous day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

25.4mm (or an inch in old money) rain here in Wicklow today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Absolutely lashing here in Dublin 5

Because firstly it's nowhere near certain that Sunday will be anything major with high pressure forecast from Monday on. So indications of rain /storm are more for early Sunday and not the whole day. Today it rained constantly and heavily in my location from 11am to 7.30pm, stopped for a while and is raining heavily again now. Thirdly,low temperatures today were nationwide while low temperatures on Sunday will mainly affect the East. In fact the East looks more vulnerable this time while parts of the west may escape.

So claiming Sunday will be worse than today is an exaggeration imo. It may turn out to be case or most likely, not. So no need to depress us all even more on a horrendous day.

I never mentioned storm or anything major. Simply said for the east, it's looking worse than today at the moment. Yes, that is subject to change.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree? The only bit we can agree on is the HP from Monday on :o

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

This wouldn't look out of place in November to be honest. Sunday looks even worse!

I have the fire lit this evening, at this stage it will probably be lit most if not all nights between now and the end of April 2019.

Gonzo wrote: »
    I have the fire lit this evening, at this stage it will probably be lit most if not all nights between now and the end of April 2019.

If you remember, do you light the fire at this time of year every year or do you generally do that a bit later into the season?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Gonzo wrote: »

Stove was lit here this evening, in the 16 years here, we have never had the heating/fire/stove on or lit in september.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

I usually dont light it until November but I don't have coal tonight so heating is on full blast. I mesagaed my coal dealer so I should have supply in soon and will start lighting it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

6c atm in Dublin 16....21c atm in London!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

Fair drop of rain today 15-20mm in Casement possibly ..well needed first decent rain for many a month.Looks like it's running out of steam now.

• Site Banned Posts: 272 ✭✭Loves_lorries

Stove was lit here this evening, in the 16 years here, we have never had the heating/fire/stove on or lit in september.

It was colder this time last year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

If you remember, do you light the fire at this time of year every year or do you generally do that a bit later into the season?

Usually end of September to April/May depending on the temperature. This house is an old one with very little insulation, so get's cold very quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

nippy out - (south sligo)

461807.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 48,212 ✭✭✭✭km79

Just after driving to Shannon along motorway from Galway
    Treated to an unexpected light show to the south west of Ardrahan and Gort
    5 huge flashes over that stretch of the journey

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

waking to rain and high winds out here in West Mayo.

Was needing a calm bit as there is something rattling overhead. Think it is just branches..Not going out just yet...

Just no let up. Yesterday was perfect!

But we have had no post this week.

ah. met-ie updated

"Today will be a cool and blustery day across Connacht, with sunny spells and occasional showers. Some of the showers will be heavy, with a risk of thunder, but they will become more isolated in the evening. Maximum temperatures 12 to 14 Celsius, in strong and gusty west to northwest winds, slowly easing as the day progresses."

km79 wrote: »
    Just after driving to Shannon along motorway from Galway
    Treated to an unexpected light show to the south west of Ardrahan and Gort
    5 huge flashes over that stretch of the journey

I thought you said light snow instead of light show when I first read it. :pac:

Very raw this morning in Dublin 5. This is my first morning wearing a jacket since spring. There was a shower earlier but now there's broken clouds.

utterly depraved out there.. cannot hear the sound on youtube!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Graces7 wrote: »
    utterly depraved out there.. cannot hear the sound on youtube!

Looking increasingly likely that a more gentle, relatively settled spell of weather is on the way from next week onwards, so you should get some respite.

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Looking increasingly likely that a more gentle, relatively settled spell of weather is on the way from next week onwards, so you should get some respite.

Thank you; blissful thought.. The islanders are as weary as I am. They cannot go fishing in this...yesterday was a gift here. Calm and clear and dry

after a very wet and showery morning to afternoon, this evening has turned out quite sunny, but certainly feeling chilly.

• Advertisement

not too bad in Cork City. Going between cloudy and sunny (with an occassional few drops). While it feels a bit cold the temp is reading 15 degrees

Advertisement