Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2018 - General discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

not a nice day here, heavy drizzly rain and dark.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Was cloudy here with some light drizzle earlier but the sun has come out in the last hour and it is very pleasant now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Gonzo wrote: »

Same here the other side of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

The leaves are coming down so fast...it was only about 2 weeks ago the trees were in full leaf..whether thats an early sign of a bad autumn/winter to come..we shall see

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

It seems to be drying out here in Glasnevin. The ground looked quite wet earlier but it's mostly dry now. There's also the occasional blast of sunshine. 0.4mm of rain recorded this morning. It's currently 15.2C.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Day here all day in cork city, was raining during the night though but not since 7am this morning at least (when I woke up)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Horrible day so far in both Dublin 13 and Dublin 3. Continuous drizzle and overcast, just the kind of weather I hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Horrible day so far in both Dublin 13 and Dublin 3. Continuous drizzle and overcast, just the kind of weather I hate.

It's cloudy here in Dublin 9 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Sunny and mild in Wexford

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Looks like we had better make the most of this period of pleasant weather. Seems it will be all change from Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 mrsnrub2.0

A bit off topic but this got suggested to me on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSeBVj7Ss-s

I can't remember 30 degrees in October in the UK in 2011.

Did we have something similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

cold and windy. occasional deluges....west mayo offshore

Looks like we had better make the most of this period of pleasant weather. Seems it will be all change from Friday.

yes, talked about that to the ferryman when I decided to cross tomorrow rather than friday... weather controls here/

HUGS!

someone very wise used to say when things were hard, "This too shall pass"...

MJohnston wrote: »
    In fairness, what is science is the fact that our climate is our climate, and it has been mostly the same for all of our lifetimes, and will continue to be largely the same for another few years at least. By that, I mean that Irish winters (and parts of spring and autumns) being cold and rainy shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone, so it's rather boring to most regular posters to hear complaints about the inevitable march of the seasons!

Not that I'm telling anyone not to complain, just don't be surprised when you get complaints about your complaints if you do!

The extreme weather events that we encounter? Knock yourself out, complain away, although only in the knowledge that no amount of wishing or hoping in any direction on here is going to redirect the hand of Mother Nature.

perfectly expressed. Thank you! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

There's been some more rain/drizzle here but the sun is shining now in a mostly cloudy sky. The ground is wet again. There's been an extra 0.2mm rain recorded in the last half-hour. It's 14.4C now.

mrsnrub2.0 wrote: »

Yep, we had a mini heatwave. To be accurate, it was actually 29.9c I think (between 29 and 30c anyway). A hot southerly was dragged up leading to that level of warmth. It wasn't as warm for Ireland though but still warm.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Yep, we had a mini heatwave. To be accurate, it was actually 29.9c I think (between 29 and 30c anyway). A hot southerly was dragged up leading to that level of warmth. It wasn't as warm for Ireland though but still warm.

That very hot weekend in October 2011 did not effect Ireland. We were under the cool Atlantic muck along with Western Scotland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIZvHkqTOV4

Rainbow in Dublin 13.

That very hot weekend in October 2011 did not effect Ireland. We were under the cool Atlantic muck along with Western Scotland.

Looks like we just about missed it here in the east then, the heat looks very close to the east coast on the reanalysis charts. I have no memory of it. The contrast in temperatures between here and SE England really can be amazing sometimes.

• Advertisement

mrsnrub2.0 wrote: »

You can check out my post telling you stats and some charts over the late September/early October 2011 warm spell (also heavy rain in the east of Ireland on 1st October) here which I did 5 months ago: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107046507&postcount=546

The Atlantic invaded the entirety of Ireland by midday on 30 September 2011. The 27th-29th September brought temperatures into the 20s over the east of Ireland whilst out west, it was cloudy with drizzle or light rain. The temperatures were remarkable for Ireland considering it was late September with Phoenix Park, Dublin reaching a maximum of 25.7c, its highest for September since 1906 and in fact, this was the station's warmest day of the year, warmer than any day during Summer 2011 (not really saying much as Summer 2011 was the coldest Summer of the 21st century so far).

The 28th September 2011 is the latest date I've gone to the beach (went to Dollymount specifically in Clontarf), laying down in the sand and playing around in the water. It was a strange but enjoyable experience that I remember vividly well.
    Looks like we just about missed it here in the east then, the heat looks very close to the east coast on the reanalysis charts. I have no memory of it. The contrast in temperatures between here and SE England really can be amazing sometimes.

'Eh, Artane2002, you said you remembered the 1st October 2011 very well, see the quote below from the stats thread you posted on 19 April:
    October 2011 makes me even more grateful for Octobers like 2016. I remember the 1st and 24th very well. It was particularly dark on the 24th. It was a pretty interesting month, at least it was remarkable in some way.

You can check out my post telling you stats and some charts over the late September/early October 2011 warm spell (also heavy rain in the east of Ireland on 1st October) here which I did 5 months ago: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107046507&postcount=546

The Atlantic invaded the entirety of Ireland by midday on 30 September 2011. The 27th-29th September brought temperatures into the 20s over the east of Ireland whilst out west, it was cloudy with drizzle or light rain. The temperatures were remarkable for Ireland considering it was late September with Phoenix Park, Dublin reaching a maximum of 25.7c, its highest for September since 1906 and in fact, this was the station's warmest day of the year, warmer than any day during Summer 2011 (not really saying much as Summer 2011 was the coldest Summer of the 21st century so far).

The 28th September 2011 is the latest date I've gone to the beach (went to Dollymount specifically in Clontarf), laying down in the sand and playing around in the water. It was a strange but enjoyable experience that I remember vividly well.

'Eh, Artane2002, you said you remembered the 1st October 2011 very well, see the quote below from the stats thread you posted on 19 April:

I totally forgot October 2011 was that horrendous October with the 24th October floods. Apologies, now it's all clear. I remember the 1st being a super wet Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mrsnrub2.0

Thanks for the replies and extra information.

I think it's safe to say the UK or us won't be seeing a repeat this October!

weather watching as ferry booked this morning.. looks chilly but calm so all is well,..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

I totally forgot October 2011 was that horrendous October with the 24th October floods. Apologies, now it's all clear. I remember the 1st being a super wet Saturday.

The October that the Dundrum Shopping Centre looked like the Titanic going down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEiBXG4g9Q4

today is an improvement over yesterdays very wet conditions at Dunshaughlin.

Staying dry so far today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭acequion

Ok in Tralee too,actually quite nice though mainly overcast. A still,calm October day.

As bad as yesterday here. Dry but overcast. Yesterday had sunshine at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

You're only desperate for a storm! If it happens then at least it'll drag the jet stream north for HP to back fill.

Nothing wrong with that either. The current drizzly ****e is the worst.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I wonder could there be some ice in the rain on the summits of Snowdonia Friday

Advertisement